Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been many threads regarding insurance and there has been a lot of quotes and then denials. One guy says he got a quote from company X and the next guy says they were told that company X will never insure the SS. I got caught up in that mess too, so I figured I would start this thread that we can list actual purchased policy's with company name, rates and coverage's. Please don't post quotes and speculation. I hope this to be a list of actual written policy's that we can all reference and compare.

I will start it off here.
I took delivery of my 2015 POLARIS SLINGSHOT SL on 11/18/14,
State of New Hampshire.
My policy is with Markel, I did everything on line, never spoke to an agent. It was very easy and quick.
Bodily Injury Liabilty 100,000/300,000
Property Damage Liabilty $50,000
Pasenger Liabilty 100,000/300,000
Unisured/Underinsured Motrist -Bodily Injury 100,000/300,000
Medical Payments $2,500, $0 deductible
Comprehensive -Actual Cash Value $500 deductible
Colison -Actual Cash Value $500 deductible

The rate is $395 for 12 months. I am a single male, age 50, homeowner, no tickets or accidents on my record.

I know several of you were told by Markel that they would not insure the SS but this is an actual paid for policy and I have all the documents to go with it. I think this is a great rate. I was quoted $1000 from Progressive, $950 from Nationwide, etc. I look forward to seeing other policy's to compare how I did.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts

Confirmed and paid policy on Allstate Insurance from an Allstate agent in Florida. 50 y/o male, great credit, no accidents, 30+ years experience and having multiple policies with them is:

Bodily Injury Liability 250,000/500,000

Property Damage Liability $100,000

Passenger Liability 00

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist -0

Medical Payments $0

Comprehensive -Actual Cash Value $250 deductible

Collision -Actual Cash Value $500 deductible

Total premium for 1 year is $206

Before anyone says the coverage isn't enough, here's the savings in Florida (could be other states as well). We have 2 autos that do have Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist -Bodily Injury stacked at 250,000/500,000 Which means if you have additional vehicles, they do not need to have this coverage, and in the event of a claim, you're able to draw the coverage (stacked) from the other two policies, so you'd have $500,000/$1,000,000 in both uninsured, underinsured and bodily injury (as explained by the agent - who no doubt would have tried to up sell if this wasn't true). Since the only passenger will be my wife, and we both are retired with great health insurance, the need for med pay isn't there and there is no lost wages to collect in the event of a claim as well. We also have a $2,000,000 umbrella that covers us for accidents that exceed these limits and they have approved the coverage as written. Total for a second bike (without collision is only $60. Markel was $221 for the same coverage as said this morning they would issue a policy since I had the VIN to provide. Hope it helps, but as always, this is not meant as legal advice and is not a recommendation on what coverage you need or should have.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've been with State Farm for almost 30 years and they told me that the car is not insurable yet - not me, but the SS itself. I'm guessing it's just too knew and they don't know what it is yet.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I know there have been many threads regarding insurance and there has been a lot of quotes and then denials. One guy says he got a quote from company X and the next guy says they were told that company X will never insure the SS. I got caught up in that mess too, so I figured I would start this thread that we can list actual purchased policy's with company name, rates and coverage's. Please don't post quotes and speculation. I hope this to be a list of actual written policy's that we can all reference and compare.

State of New Hampshire.
My policy is with Markel, I did everything on line, never spoke to an agent. It was very easy and quick.

The rate is $395 for 12 months. I am a single male, age 50, homeowner, no tickets or accidents on my record.

I know several of you were told by Markel that they would not insure the SS but this is an actual paid for policy and I have all the documents to go with it. I think this is a great rate. I was quoted $1000 from Progressive, $950 from Nationwide, etc. I look forward to seeing other policy's to compare how I did.
I just tried to get a quote online.

Thank you for choosing Markel. We are sorry but we do not currently offer coverage for your type of motorcycle or ATV.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I just got mine with State Farm. 50/100 with uninsured motorist. $79mo

I'll have to shop around later.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Picking my SS up tomorrow morning. Have my VIN and have confirmed insurance (Recv temp insurance card) $326 / Year with Allied/Nationwide. Age 53 clean record with 2 other cycles insured (Harley & Indian).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Allstate. 25/50 1K deduct. $60 Down $49 Month. Confirmed of course :D
Picking mine up tomorrow
went with allstate increased coverage to 250 500
went with allstate because it gives me 250/500 passenger coverage as well....it is called "Guest Liability" no other policy offered that
total cost ended up being $642

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thank you for choosing Markel. We are sorry but we do not currently offer coverage for your type of motorcycle or ATV.
Wow, I don't know what to say about that. I did everything online, both models of the SS were listed in the drop downs, I chose the coverage's that I wanted, entered VIN# and purchased it online. I never spoke to anyone. Maybe it has to do with your state of residence. I am in NH and this was the easiest part of the slingshot purchase.

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts

I had this same problem on progressives site. On the fifth or sixth time entering the same info, it FINALLY took. Who knows. Try calling Markel and talking to a rep.

·
Vendor
2,216 Posts
I've been with State Farm for almost 30 years and they told me that the car is not insurable yet - not me, but the SS itself. I'm guessing it's just too knew and they don't know what it is yet.
I went through State Farm.. but it looks like I over payed. I'm at $799/year. 100/300/100 coverage.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Nationwide's quote $480 for 54 male. Once she plugged in my VIN it jumped to $665 year. I still took it.

·
Registered
202 Posts

State of New Hampshire.

I had this same problem on progressives site. On the fifth or sixth time entering the same info, it FINALLY took. Who knows. Try calling Markel and talking to a rep.
There has been problems with online sites allowing you to get a quote but then the company says they will not cover the SS. You can read about the problems on the insurance threads.
I would call a agent and have them confirm with the company that they are covering the SS. Many agents were giving quotes based on their sites listing the SS but then finding out that their company actually weren't covering them.
It doesn't take any longer to confirm the information to protect yourself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Went with Progressive after my current insurer Geico said they would not write it. Male, age 54, clean driving record, 779 credit score, 1 claim when I rolled my 4 wheeler down a mountain in Kentucky. $100,000/300,00 liability limits, $50,000/100,00 limits medical payments added for uninsured/under insured drivers, $500 deductibles, disappearing deductibles, $3000 accessories coverage. $612 per year.
Had trouble with the web site so called direct. Had proof of coverage in about half an hour.

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
There has been problems with online sites allowing you to get a quote but then the company says they will not cover the SS. You can read about the problems on the insurance threads.
I would call a agent and have them confirm with the company that they are covering the SS. Many agents were giving quotes based on their sites listing the SS but then finding out that their company actually weren't covering them.
It doesn't take any longer to confirm the information to protect yourself.
Plato's website states they partnered with Progressive and has a link.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts