If I can't get the gray in Sl trim, I'll just order the gray with windshield

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
1. what mileage will the slingshot get
2. do the taller wheels make the slingshot shit taller
3. will there be a exhaust option

If I can't get the gray in Sl trim, I'll just order the gray with windshield
1. 32 city and 38 hwy (my guess, as nobody knows at this point and Polaris won't say)

2. Rolling height should be the same on both models (they mention no difference anywhere)

3. Doesn't look like Polaris will have a different exhaust option, but there will be a lot of aftermarket parts for the Slingshot after it is released. Exhaust should be one of the first items available from aftermarket manufactures.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
TravAZ, I certainly hope your guess is true. Unfortunately, Polaris showed this image awhile back (25.5 mpg). Check -post #13 - http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/25-5-mpg-9-8-gallons-250-mile-range.492/
My guess is probably a bit unrealistic, but I am a optimistic dreamer. I am sure some people will get in the 30s and others like me, will get 20 mpg at best. I am ok with that.

I think this is the info on the LE5 Cobalt.... 26 mpg-US (9.0 L/100 km; 31 mpg-imp) city/37 mpg-US (6.4 L/100 km; 44 mpg-imp) highway with manual transmission. With the Slingshot having less weight and a conservative driver, it could be possible. You might have to be going downhill most of the time too.... :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I can handle the Cobalt numbers, but the same engine in the Pontiac Solstice was listed at around 19 city/25 hwy. I certainly hope it does better than that. MY 2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650 gives me 50+ mpg and my 2007 SV650A gives me closer to 60 mpg. I was concerned about dropping into the 40's if I bought a bigger bike. Going down to 25 mpg will be quite a shock.:(

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can handle the Cobalt numbers, but the same engine in the Pontiac Solstice was listed at around 19 city/25 hwy. I certainly hope it does better than that. MY 2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650 gives me 50+ mpg and my 2007 SV650A gives me closer to 60 mpg. I was concerned about dropping into the 40's if I bought a bigger bike. Going down to 25 mpg will be quite a shock.:(
2.4L is almost four times your .650L. If MPG is on the top your list then maybe a SS is not for you.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have bikes and I have cars. I do not buy a sports car nor a motorcycle because of the gas mileage. I buy it for the driving exprience, the torq, the performance, the looks, etc. gas mileage is way down on the list. If I wanted great gas mileage I would get a moped.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have bikes and I have cars. I do not buy a sports car nor a motorcycle because of the gas mileage. I buy it for the driving exprience, the torq, the performance, the looks, etc. gas mileage is way down on the list. If I wanted great gas mileage I would get a moped.
I believe it will be an adjustment on the rear axle. That is the way most bikes are. I do not see anything in the blowup picture that shows an adjustment in the bevel gear housing

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Don't know for a fact but there may be no adjustment. This type of belt never appreciably stretches. If you manage to stretch one, it's toast.
First day on the site and already screwed up. I posted the answer that I had on a different question. There should be an adjustment on the back axle that is the way most bikes are set up. The belt , even though it does not stretch much, should not be easy to put on without an adjuster.

Like most bikes, there is probably a tension adjustment tool that shows you the correct tension when a belt is installed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Remember guys, just because you typically buy sports cars, bikes, etc for reason x doesn't mean everyone is like that. I've seen a wide variety of reasons that people here want the SS, and I say more power to them. Some will mod this and push it to the limits of performance, some will push it to the limits in other ways. All will provide valuable info to refine the vehicle and produce a healthy set of aftermarket options. Kudos to all adopters of this amazing vehicle!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Remember guys, just because you typically buy sports cars, bikes, etc for reason x doesn't mean everyone is like that. I've seen a wide variety of reasons that people here want the SS, and I say more power to them. Some will mod this and push it to the limits of performance, some will push it to the limits in other ways. All will provide valuable info to refine the vehicle and produce a healthy set of aftermarket options. Kudos to all adopters of this amazing vehicle!
Well said!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts