Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one article said it had a GM Ecotec engine in it...
Why wouldn't Polaris use it's own engine?

·
Registered
17 Posts
cbc6351ee8ed07937f36e84089649888_view.jpg
Looking at the patent pics, it's definitely a GM Ecotech 2.4L with an Aisin 5-speed. This is the same power-train from the base Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. Depending on which 2.4L it would have 170-186 horsepower with about the same amount of torque.

This trike will be much more car rather than Side by Side, horsepower and mileage will be vastly better.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't tell you anything, but this thing is a ROCKET!!! Can you imagine for a second a vehicle with close to 200hp that weighs about the same weight as a motorcycle and sells for about the same price? Though your guys theory of the Ecotec is pretty good, it has some flaws to it. Didn't GM just discontinue the Ecotec??? Hmmmm, I wonder what motor will go into the Cadillac ATS next year if they are doing away with the Ecotec? Idk this is all speculation of course because I don't know anything and am just hopeful I guess. I could have possibly seen one in person, but I can't be sure. The much more menacing look of the machine than what you see all over the web sure does make a guy want one pretty badly though I would think ;)

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
The ATS looks like it will be powered by a 2.5L Gen II model of the Ecotec. I find it hard to believe that Polaris wouldn't use one of their own engines, but the Ecotec was included in their patent drawings...

LCV
First appearing in the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu and 2013 Cadillac ATS, the 2.5 L Gen III block has been reworked to reduce engine noise and vibrations, while improving fuel economy and low-end torque.[12][13][14] LCV is scheduled to replace the direct-injected 2.4 L throughout North American GM products within a year.[15] Engine production started in April 2012 at GM's Tonawanda, New York plant.

The new combustion system developed with GM's proprietary computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis software features a higher compression ratio which helps improve fuel efficiency and has improved knock resistance. The engine features dual overhead camshafts with continuously variable valve timing and increased-authority cam phasing (increased phase rotation angle), a high-pressure returnless direct-injection fuel system with camshaft-driven fuel pump delivering 750 psi at idle and 2250 psi at full load, higher-flowing intake and exhaust ports in the cylinder head, electronic throttle control and pistons with jet-spray oil cooling. The engine redline is 7000 rpm.

The balance shafts are relocated from the cylinder block to oil pan module. The two-piece steel-aluminum oil pan features in-pan integrated oil-pump assembly driven by the balance shaft with a shorter inverted-tooth chain. Other improvements include inverted-tooth chain driving the camshaft, forged steel crankshaft, cast aluminum bedplate with main bearing cap inserts made of iron, high-pressure fuel rail with rubber-isolated assembly, acoustically shielded plastic cover for the intake manifold, and structurally enhanced aluminum camshaft cover and front cover. These improvements helped reduce noise intensity by 40% compared to the 2.4 L engine and change the noise signature into a higher frequency above 2,000 Hz. The engine also uses a variable-displacement oil pump and an actively controlled thermostat. Direct injection reduces emissions by 25%, while continuous cam phasing eliminates the need for an EGR system.

Displacement for the 2.5 L engine is 2,457 cc (149.9 cu in) with an 88.0 millimetres (3.46 in) bore and 100.8 millimetres (3.97 in) stroke. Compression ratio is 11.3:1.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
I'd be happy with just about any of those engines. The 2.0L would make for a great turbo or supercharged engine and the other larger displacement engines would just be a bonus :cool:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts