Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
You would also think a LE9 would not require a 91 octane fuel.
Premium fuel?
Really?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Found this info;
Using gas, the Ecotec 2.4L (LE9) is rated at 170 horsepower (127 kW) and 158 lb.-ft. of torque (214 Nm) in the Malibu and 175 horsepower (130 kW)/170 lb.-ft (230 Nm) using E85. In the HHR, the output numbers are 172 hp (128 kW) and 167 lb.-ft. (226 Nm) using gas and 176 hp (131 kW) and 170 lb.-ft. (230 Nm) using E85. The greater horsepower achieved when using E85 is due to the ethanol-based fuel's higher octane rating.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
That sounds right......I wonder if switching would require a different tune? I honestly probably wouldn't use E85 anyway. Especially if the SS is sitting in the garage for a length of time. I'd probably actually use 93 non ethanol. Anyway, I wonder why the change from LE5 to LE9 if that's accurate.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I avoid ethanol in small motors but if it's made to run e85 I might have to do a little experiment, e85 vs premium without ethanol and see the difference in mpg and power.

·
Registered
532 Posts
When I used E85 in my truck. My mileage dropped by a little over 1 mpg. It averaged 50 cents less per gallon. This savings has changed to around 20 cents.
If the SlingShot is indeed going to sport the LE9 I'll try both fuels out. Then go with best one.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds right......I wonder if switching would require a different tune? I honestly probably wouldn't use E85 anyway. Especially if the SS is sitting in the garage for a length of time. I'd probably actually use 93 non ethanol. Anyway, I wonder why the change from LE5 to LE9 if that's accurate.
As we can all read it from the owners manual it is an LE9.....could it be that it's a mistake on the printing?

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Switching wont require a tune, but a good street tune or even dyno tune making your SS and e85 ONLY vehicle will greatly improve your power.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
So if they are out of 2.4 l engine will new slingshots get the 2.5 turbo engine next year ? Did I hear Trade In !
Just remember a 2.5 turbo will probably raise the price $5,000-$7,000.

I would prefer to give half that to TurboSling or Bill Hahn to get the same performance out of the LE5. Hmmm... now what to do with the other half? :D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Just remember a 2.5 turbo will probably raise the price $5,000-$7,000.

I would prefer to give half that to TurboSling or Bill Hahn to get the same performance out of the LE5. Hmmm... now what to do with the other half? :D
beer!... or fly EZ up to ride with

513 Posts
The info came from a GM article, I'm not an engineer or mechanic.
Red, I can add some detail. I believe GM is alluding to the fact that their E85 version is tuned to exploit E85, thus its higher power rating, for as Noah mentions, swapping the fuel alone won't create more power on its own...interestingly, the opposite is actually the case, for unless one tunes to leverage the E85, power will actually drop, and undesirably lean air-fuel mixtures can result.

If it's a flex-fuel application, which I'm confident it is, it can inherently sense the concentration of E85 being delivered to the engine, and alter ignition timing and fueling to take advantage of the E85's greater power capabilities.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts