Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it appears we have a couple of Slingshot tuning options, I thought it would be important to have a Q&A thread about tuning.

I posted a couple of points and feedback in other places, but those must have been in the wrong spot because they were deleted. No big deal, we can discuss all questions and pros/cons here.

I know one thing - fixing the Polaris factory tune is one of the best mods you can do. The stock tune is a "little" rough around the edges and fixing these issues will unleash power and deliver better overall drive-ability.

Many of us are eager to help give advice on our personal experiences with tuning and are looking forward to learning even more on this important subject.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Here are a few questions.

Why should I change the Oem tune?
Are there any performance gains?
What about drivability?
Will it void my warranty?
What happens if I am not happy with the tune and want to change it?
How much does it cost?
What if the dealer reflashes the tune?
What happens when I change my setup? ( different mods)
What is getting changed?
How to remove the ECM?
How long does it take to get my ECM back?
What are my options?

·
Registered
52 Posts
These answers are based on using our tuning software with the end user in control of the tune.

- Why should I change the Oem tune? You will get better performance, gas mileage, drive-ability and if done right, reliability.
- Are there any performance gains? Yes. Depends on specific application to say how much.
- What about drivability? This is what tuning is all about. You get to fine tune all the little things that aren't perfect. The more time you spend, the better it will be.
- Will it void my warranty? Yes. Doing something wrong on the tune can easily cause damage to the engine. Polaris will not warranty something that was not there fault.
- What happens if I am not happy with the tune and want to change it? This is the great thing about having your own software. If you don't like it, change it.
- How much does it cost? $1000 per vehicle
- What if the dealer reflashes the tune? No big deal. All the vehicle information is saved on the cable. You would just have to reload your tune back in to the ECU
- What happens when I change my setup? ( different mods) You will have the option to change the tune as many times as you want without any additional cost.
- What is getting changed? You can change quite a bit. For the most part, it is the fuel and timing tables.
- How to remove the ECM? No need to remove the ECM. Simply plug the tuning cable in to the diagnostic port and go.
- How long does it take to get my ECM back? No need to send your ECM in.
- What are my options? No additional options. All options are built in to the software. You choose what you want to change and what you don't. 100% up to the end user.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
What if your ecu is damaged and needs to be replaced by Polaris (either under warranty or paid by the customer)? Will the software detect this replacement ecu as being new and therefore unable to be tuned without paying another $1,000 fee?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate speaking for other people, but I know how busy @MEFIburn is with flashing ECMs right now. I will try to answer some of these questions from previous posts and he (or others) can chime in if I am wrong...

Italic writing is directly from Bob's old posts. Bold writing is me filling in the details as from what I have learned and/or have experienced first hand.

Why should I change the OEM tune?

The stock calibration has room for improvement. The stock idle table, spark tables, fuel tables, and cam phaser tables could be described as very odd. In comparing the stock Slingshot cal to the LE5 cals from the Soltice, Sky, HHR, etc., they are nothing close. I’m not quite sure why that is or what the requirements, specifications, testing procedures, or methodologies were for this vehicle.

In my first dyno session I was able to pick up 11 rwhp and 18 ft/lbs of torque on just the tune alone, no other changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXuAcOP96kc

What about drivability?

Vehicle dynamics and drivability on the street have been transformative.
From my personal experience I can tell you that driveability is much better on a NA machine and the FI platforms. The idle is higher and smoother, the electronic throttle control is smoother and more responsive, and more power is noticed; especially in 4th and 5th gear.

Other members can with their $400 Group Buy NA tune can chime in on this.

ACTIVE Group Buy - ECM Tune from Mefi Bob for NA Slingshots

Trick question for the Slingshot. Yes and No.
It really depends on what you are trying to warranty. If you are trying to warranty a blown motor, most likely YES. If you are tying to warranty most other things, the tune will not affect your claim. If you are concerned, you could always pay for the shipping back and forth and return the ECM to the stock Polaris calibration before making a warranty claim.

Contact @MEFIburn. Talk through the disappointment/issue and decide on the proper changes. Pay for shipping back and forth and the new updates will be loaded into your ECM.

How much does it cost?

For all current Slingshots - 2015 and 2016 models
Current NA Group Buy = $400
Turbo, Supercharger, and Complex Custom Tunes = $500

What if the dealer re-flashes over the aftermarket tune?

First off, this is a very rare problem to happen. It take some work for a dealership to swipe the tune completely. If it happens, send it back (pay for shipping both ways) to Bob and get the tune re-loaded on your ECM.

What happens when I change my setup? (different mods)
It really depends on what you do....

Going from bone stock to a header, exhaust, and intake - most likely just the shipping charge back and forth
Adding new pistons and nitrous - most likely a nominal fee because of the complexity of changes
Going NA to Forced Induction - Your tune is most likely already part of the package price of buying the FI kit
Other questions or situations - just email or call Bob to discuss what it would cost

What is getting changed?

Idle speed, idle table, spark tables, fuel tables, cam phaser tables, rev limiter, and Electronic throttle control

How to remove the ECM?

Very easy - follow the below thread made by our good friend @jookyone .
How to remove the factory ECU

What I will do is you send me your ecm, I flash it with a good tune for your setup or combination, and send it back to you. When I get everything humming, I should be able to turn around any ecm sent to me within one day.
It depends on how fast you want to ship it. Next day air envelope is popular and is $25 each way through USPS. You will have roughly 2 1/2 days of downtime this way. If USPS doesn't deliver by noon, they refund you.
Or, send it out USPS priority. For me, it is 2 days there, 1 day with Bob, and 2 days to get back to me.

What are my options?

Not really sure what this is asking...?
$400 for NA tune
$500 for FI and complex tunes

You all work hard for your money, so spend it on what is best for you.

Tuning, when done right, is one of the best mods you can do on the Slingshot.

Others can chime in on what I have missed and ask questions on items I didn't explain clearly. Please look over the links in this post for me detailed information already discussed on the forum.

·
Registered
398 Posts
These answers are based on using our tuning software with the end user in control of the tune.

- Why should I change the Oem tune? You will get better performance, gas mileage, drive-ability and if done right, reliability.
- Are there any performance gains? Yes. Depends on specific application to say how much.
- What about drivability? This is what tuning is all about. You get to fine tune all the little things that aren't perfect. The more time you spend, the better it will be.
- Will it void my warranty? Yes. Doing something wrong on the tune can easily cause damage to the engine. Polaris will not warranty something that was not there fault.
- What happens if I am not happy with the tune and want to change it? This is the great thing about having your own software. If you don't like it, change it.
- How much does it cost? $1000 per vehicle
- What if the dealer reflashes the tune? No big deal. All the vehicle information is saved on the cable. You would just have to reload your tune back in to the ECU
- What happens when I change my setup? ( different mods) You will have the option to change the tune as many times as you want without any additional cost.
- What is getting changed? You can change quite a bit. For the most part, it is the fuel and timing tables.
- How to remove the ECM? No need to remove the ECM. Simply plug the tuning cable in to the diagnostic port and go.
- How long does it take to get my ECM back? No need to send your ECM in.
- What are my options? No additional options. All options are built in to the software. You choose what you want to change and what you don't. 100% up to the end user.
Thanks for all the answers, who does all the changes to the tune are you doing it?
Or do I have to find a tuner who knows all the kinks with the slingshot?
Can you help with the very annoying rev hangs and rev surges and the almost stalling with the OEM tune?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I hate speaking for other people, but I know how busy @MEFIburn is with flashing ECMs right now. I will try to answer some of these questions from previous posts and he (or others) can chime in if I am wrong...

Italic writing is directly from Bob's old posts. Bold writing is me filling in the details as from what I have learned and/or have experienced first hand.

Why should I change the OEM tune?

The stock calibration has room for improvement. The stock idle table, spark tables, fuel tables, and cam phaser tables could be described as very odd. In comparing the stock Slingshot cal to the LE5 cals from the Soltice, Sky, HHR, etc., they are nothing close. I’m not quite sure why that is or what the requirements, specifications, testing procedures, or methodologies were for this vehicle.

In my first dyno session I was able to pick up 11 rwhp and 18 ft/lbs of torque on just the tune alone, no other changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXuAcOP96kc

What about drivability?

Vehicle dynamics and drivability on the street have been transformative.
From my personal experience I can tell you that driveability is much better on a NA machine and the FI platforms. The idle is higher and smoother, the electronic throttle control is smoother and more responsive, and more power is noticed; especially in 4th and 5th gear.

Other members can with their $400 Group Buy NA tune can chime in on this.

ACTIVE Group Buy - ECM Tune from Mefi Bob for NA Slingshots

Trick question for the Slingshot. Yes and No.
It really depends on what you are trying to warranty. If you are trying to warranty a blown motor, most likely YES. If you are tying to warranty most other things, the tune will not affect your claim. If you are concerned, you could always pay for the shipping back and forth and return the ECM to the stock Polaris calibration before making a warranty claim.

Contact @MEFIburn. Talk through the disappointment/issue and decide on the proper changes. Pay for shipping back and forth and the new updates will be loaded into your ECM.

How much does it cost?

For all current Slingshots - 2015 and 2016 models
Current NA Group Buy = $400
Turbo, Supercharger, and Complex Custom Tunes = $500

What if the dealer re-flashes over the aftermarket tune?

First off, this is a very rare problem to happen. It take some work for a dealership to swipe the tune completely. If it happens, send it back (pay for shipping both ways) to Bob and get the tune re-loaded on your ECM.

What happens when I change my setup? (different mods)
It really depends on what you do....

Going from bone stock to a header, exhaust, and intake - most likely just the shipping charge back and forth
Adding new pistons and nitrous - most likely a nominal fee because of the complexity of changes
Going NA to Forced Induction - Your tune is most likely already part of the package price of buying the FI kit
Other questions or situations - just email or call Bob to discuss what it would cost

What is getting changed?

Idle speed, idle table, spark tables, fuel tables, cam phaser tables, rev limiter, and Electronic throttle control

How to remove the ECM?

Very easy - follow the below thread made by our good friend @jookyone .
How to remove the factory ECU

What I will do is you send me your ecm, I flash it with a good tune for your setup or combination, and send it back to you. When I get everything humming, I should be able to turn around any ecm sent to me within one day.
It depends on how fast you want to ship it. Next day air envelope is popular and is $25 each way through USPS. You will have roughly 2 1/2 days of downtime this way. If USPS doesn't deliver by noon, they refund you.
Or, send it out USPS priority. For me, it is 2 days there, 1 day with Bob, and 2 days to get back to me.

What are my options?

$400 for NA tune
$500 for FI and complex tunes

You all work hard for your money, so spend it on what is best for you.

Tuning, when done right, is one of the best mods you can do on the Slingshot.

Others can chime in on what I have missed and ask questions on items I didn't explain clearly. Please look over the links in this post for me detailed information already discussed on the forum.
Thank you very much for the detailed answers.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If I blew a engine, couldnt I just put the stock tune back? Would Polaris know? Is this programming the ECU or a piggyback

·
Registered
738 Posts
What are my options?
I would think this asking what are my options regarding tuning. The first group of answers by CBM is addressing tuning in general. It seems to focus on buying a tune kit with a certain number of tune credits and doing the tuning yourself. This option gives you the greatest ability to customize your tune. My understanding is this isn't possible with the SS because the code is locked.

So the question then becomes what other options are out there for tuners who have cracked the code. As far as I know only one has so far and that is what is addressed in the reply by TravAZ. This option is more limited since you are buying a "canned" tune. Yes there are some alterations made for certain mods, but these are limited.

Does anyone else provide a tune for the SS ?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would think this asking what are my options regarding tuning. The first group of answers by CBM is addressing tuning in general. It seems to focus on buying a tune kit with a certain number of tune credits and doing the tuning yourself. This option gives you the greatest ability to customize your tune. My understanding is this isn't possible with the SS because the code is locked.

So the question then becomes what other options are out there for tuners who have cracked the code. As far as I know only one has so far and that is what is addressed in the reply by TravAZ. This option is more limited since you are buying a "canned" tune. Yes there are some alterations made for certain mods, but these are limited.

Does anyone else provide a tune for the SS ?
Below are your tuning options currently as I understand them....

• Piggyback System - don't see an use for these anymore in the SS world
  • New stand alone ECM - most are expensive, may lose SS nannies, and current ECM is very capable
  • Send off your ECM to @MEFIburn for tuning - what most people are using right now
  • CBM Live Tuning - end user access to the ECM
With CBM live tuning, a user now has access to 2015 (not 2016 yet) Slingshot ECMs. Any tuner or final user could enter data/parameters to tune their SS. This could be good, but you need to make sure the end person that is entering the information knows what they are doing. Most SS owners should/will pay a experienced tuner to help with entering the correct inputs. Other more experienced users with tuning may do this themselves and will work to find the right inputs through trial and error.

I personally wouldn't consider most tuning through @MEFIburn as "canned" tunes. He does offer one "canned" tune and that is for a bone stock SS. Anyone that asks for the stock SS tune will get the same one. Canned makes sense in this case. Other tunes are put together on your aftermarket parts lists. Because some people have the same/very similar parts, their tunes may be the same. Modifications to the ECM this way are not limited as you stated. Bob has tuned for nitrous, several intakes, exhausts, headers, superchargers, turbochargers, etc. etc.

·
Living the Vision !
136 Posts
Can we see actual before/after dyno charts on the Bob tunes for each set up ?

stock, CAI, Header, exhaust, etc.

My set up;

Alpha CAI
1320 Header & Exhaust

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow, $1,000. seems a little extreme, for a do-it-yourself tune. I guess because slingshots are new to the market (though the Eco-Tech isn't), or these ECM's are such a mystery to most?
There are no shortage of piggyback EFI systems for under $300., so I guess I'm going to have to wait until the Asians get involved.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wow, $1,000. seems a little extreme, for a do-it-yourself tune. I guess because slingshots are new to the market (though the Eco-Tech isn't), or these ECM's are such a mystery to most?
There are no shortage of piggyback EFI systems for under $300., so I guess I'm going to have to wait until the Asians get involved.
Be patriotic buy American, or Trump is going to get you.:cool::D:)

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can we see actual before/after dyno charts on the Bob tunes for each set up ?

stock, CAI, Header, exhaust, etc.

My set up;

Alpha CAI
1320 Header & Exhaust

Thanks

Jeff
For any tuning system, you will not see dyno graphs for each possible combination of parts.

Why?

There are way too many combinations. A person would have to have the same machine, all of the aftermarket parts to make each combo, and spend several days dynoing and switching back and forth parts. You can see why this isn't realistic.

It sounds like a local AZ owner that has recently got a Bob tune will be traveling back to the dyno with me to get results on a Alpha CAI, side exhaust, and header. These results could be used as a generic guide.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Agree with the waiting..there will eventually be others. From a product business model perspective I don't believe there will be a lot of interest at $1000 but I would bet there would be 4 or 5 times the sales if it were $500. Since this should be a one time sale you want to sell as many as you can before anyone else comes out with one. It's wonderful being able to tune yourself as you can really tweak things. When GEM cars were fairly new there was one place doing tunes and he was pricey. Pulled numbers off the GE controller and found that it was a system generally used in forklifts. Found a forklift company that had software for adjusting parameters. 10 bucks and a 232 cable would increase speeds by 20% on stock carts once we trial and errored the parameters.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Agree with the waiting..there will eventually be others. From a product business model perspective I don't believe there will be a lot of interest at $1000 but I would bet there would be 4 or 5 times the sales if it were $500. Since this should be a one time sale you want to sell as many as you can before anyone else comes out with one. It's wonderful being able to tune yourself as you can really tweak things. When GEM cars were fairly new there was one place doing tunes and he was pricey. Pulled numbers off the GE controller and found that it was a system generally used in forklifts. Found a forklift company that had software for adjusting parameters. 10 bucks and a 232 cable would increase speeds by 20% on stock carts once we trial and errored the parameters.
aroundtrucks.png

1 - 20 of 42 Posts