Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making ramps for a flatbed trailer to carry my Slingshot. The issue is how to support the center ramp in an upright position. The two side ramps are supported by flat stock bolted to the side of the trailer as many constructions trailers are built. They pivot on a bar across the back as will the center ramp but these things are heavy since they have to be real long. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I am making ramps for a flatbed trailer to carry my Slingshot. The issue is how to support the center ramp in an upright position. The two side ramps are supported by flat stock bolted to the side of the trailer as many constructions trailers are built. They pivot on a bar across the back as will the center ramp but these things are heavy since they have to be real long. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I made some ramp extensions and not attached, but store them just infront of the box on the trailer. That may work for you. The center would not have to be permently attached.

·
Banned
192 Posts
Sell the trailer and get one that has removable ramps that store under the trailer. A third ramp isn’t needed then. That’s is a lot of wind drag with the ramps sticking up horizontally like that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sell the trailer and get one that has removable ramps that store under the trailer. A third ramp isn’t needed then. That’s is a lot of wind drag with the ramps sticking up horizontally like that.
This is a 2021 trailer that I just bought so selling it is out of the question. It will also be used to haul my Jeep. The 5 ft ramps it came with did store under the trailer but 5 ft ramps just do not work on a Sling so I built extensions. Now they were too long to store under the trailer because of the trailer axles. So I cut them in half and welded in hinges. Here is a photo of the rear of the trailer. The third ramp is all steel also and very heavy for us old folks. I was going to bolt it down to the rear but I wanted something easy to load and unload so decided to attached it. Hence my problem on how to support it in it's upright position. In case you were wondering why it is red these things tend to go missing when the trailer is parked elsewhere so I wanted it a bright color to spot it easily. In the photo you can see a rod across the two black ramps. I was thinking of running this thru the ramps as a support for the third one. One more thing I did was recess the E tracks as the Sling tires ride over the tracks. I will then use tire bonnets to hold it in place.

·
Banned
192 Posts
My ramps slide in from the side. I use two to get the front on the trailer then move one to the center to get get the back on. Plus, mine is a dove tail.

Maybe a piece of angle iron to pin the three ramps at the upper joints?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will notice I can't slide a ramp to the center due to supports on the trailer. I am not about to crawl under there and lift one of the ramps in place. I could sell both trailers and buy an enclosed one but my wife said no new trailers in response to your previous post so in order to keep the peace this one will have to do. So far the solid rod idea is what I hope to go with unless one of you fine gents can suggest something else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welding the three ramps together would create an incredibly heavy one piece ramp. Yesterday I took another route. I broke out the plasma cutter and cut off the hinges. The center ramp is now two pieces that are easier to move. If I can modify the underside of the trailer I will mount them there otherwise I will lock them down to the deck. The center ramp I built is narrower than the factory ramps so they don't fit properly under the trailer in the factory location. And I am not about to make new ramps. And the wife still says no new trailers. The saga continues.

·
Administrator
3,059 Posts
You could make a center ramp from aluminum and slide it under the Slingshot, then tie it down with eTrax. The rear (center) tire doesn't carry much weight, whereas the front (outer) wheels support the engine and transmission. It's less bending than trying to fit it under the trailer, and you can see it, so it's easier.

If these things wander off you could use locking hitch pins:
  1. to secure the ramp to the trailer where it mounts in back (so you can leave the ramps down)
  2. also on the trailer bed up front; this locks it into its storage space and who wants to pick two locks just to steal a ramp?
Nice trailer by the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My aluminum trailer has a built in ramp that is too steep to load the Sling shot so I bought 4 ATV ramps rated at 750Lbs each. I aligned two with the outside edges of the trailer's original ramp and two in the middle. I drilled holes on the ramp tongues and matching location on the trailer floor. When it's time to load or unload, I grab the ramps off the trailer hitch A frame, Clevis Pin them in the right spot and drive right up, easy peasy. If my kids are helping, it takes about 10 minutes to unstrap (I bought a set of "racing tie downs" by Vulan for the front two wheels) and move the Slingshot. I did also mount a latch on both sides of the rear trailer and run a strap through the back rim to secure the drive wheel.

If my kids are not helping, it takes me about 5 minutes. J/K, it takes m e about 15 since I am moving all the ramps myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally settled on a solution. I cut the center ramp in half to make it lighter. Us old folks need all the help we can get. That took quite a lot of work as I had welded on two heavy duty hinges that needed to be removed. Time to break out the plasma cutter. It will now bolt together when needed. I mounted both pieces in front of the box. They bolt to the upright part on the front of the trailer using Rivet inserts. Here is a photo of the finished trailer. I used deck non slip paint to give it a finished look. The only thing left to do is paint the red ramp black.
As a side note never try to use a plasma cutter while wearing flip flops. Don't ask how I know. My foot will heal.
It's summer here in Arizona so who wears shoes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A single ramp out of steel is just too heavy. And using "bunny cords" are just too furry. (sorry just couldn't help myself). This set up works for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If only I know how to weld aluminum. Buying more tools are always fun. I did find a nice ramp on Amazon that is rated for 1500 lbs but for now this will have to do. How do bunny cords work, their hands are so small? LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts