Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SLINGSHOT has a standard 2 year unlimited mileage, factory warranty with the ability to add an extended service contract (ESC) of up to 5 years.

I am reading that these ESC are costing $899.00 to $1299 for the Polaris RZR.
Just guessing, but the Slingshot will probably run an additional $1500.00 plus.

What do the forum members think about these Extended Service Contracts offered by Polaris?
Has anyone ever had a bad experience with a ECS offered by Polaris on any other purchases?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am figuring the supercharger will cancel the Factory Warranty and will not buy an extended service contract

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't have experience with Polaris ESC. But I have bought ESC in the past for cars.
I have never used them. So I quit buying them. So I probably won't for the Slingshot.
2 years is plenty of time if the slingshot has any major issue's. Other then that
I like to do the wrenching myself. But that is just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I bought one when I purchased my 08 Ultra. Refundable if not used at the end of 5 years. Here is where you have to be careful. The dealer is like a sub contractor for whatever company offers this warranty. My company "Not Harley" went out of business as alot of them do before it comes time for you to collect. As i learned when this happened to me. I called Harley thinking they would take care of it and was informed, "thats on the dealer, and whomever the company is. We have our standard warranty and thats all". Long story short, the dealer had to sue the warranty company wich can take years. My dealer was honorable enough to pay me my refund, but is still trying to get thier money. This was the first ESC and last one for me. Make sure it is from Polaris themselves before you buy.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure it is from Polaris themselves before you buy.
I believe the ESC offer is from Polaris, "with the ability to add an extended service contract (ESC) of up to 5 years." this is taken from the Polaris SS website. I don't think that Polaris would promote aftermarket warranties but maybe they do to make the overall warranty look better.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone have a RZR extended warranty? I am sure it will be handled the same.
That is exactly what I was thinking, so I checked out the RZR forums (BTW,not as awesome as this one!) and got a mix of feelings. Most of the complaints were from aftermarket warranties offered by the dealers. Exactly what @MOTO864 was suggesting. I did find a couple of web articles about Polaris realigning with different ESC companies for various reasons. This is why I wanted to get some forum input and thought.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Interesting.

I am not a big fan of ESCs though I have had them on two recent vehicles that I thought I would be keeping for a long time. I ended up selling them before I thought I would (too many toys too little time) and getting the ESC money left on the contracts was a PITA. Both took over two months to get resolved.

·
Registered
839 Posts
For my part it dépends on the price...what is cover after 2 years...It cover ALL the SS or only motor/tranny(for example)...
Who cover the extended warranty? She is transferable to another owner if i sell it?
Because something good with a ESC it's a better value if you want to sell the SS over other without warranty...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Generally speaking third parties warranties are a waste of your money. Read the fine print and see what is really covered in the event of part failure, never listen to what a dealer tells you because these are almost always on a named peril basis versus open peril.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
When I purchased my RZR's a year ago I went with a third party warranty based on direct feedback from my dealer. I have a long relationship with this dealer and they have not had a good experience with the EW's from Polaris. Actually the third party their currently work with has a much better track record actually covering failed components and paying for associated repairs than the factory. There were some very specific examples given to me where the factory pointed fingers and went out of their way to avoid paying for the repair.

That said, I doubt I would purchase an EW on the SS. Why? Because it is built on a proven drive train and issues should be minimal. Two years should be enough time to shake out any major issues or factory defects.

·
Registered
839 Posts
When I purchased my RZR's a year ago I went with a third party warranty based on direct feedback from my dealer. I have a long relationship with this dealer and they have not had a good experience with the EW's from Polaris. Actually the third party their currently work with has a much better track record actually covering failed components and paying for associated repairs than the factory. There were some very specific examples given to me where the factory pointed fingers and went out of their way to avoid paying for the repair.

That said, I doubt I would purchase an EW on the SS. Why? Because it is built on a proven drive train and issues should be minimal. Two years should be enough time to shake out any major issues or factory defects.
Yes...but at the other side it's a brand new vehicle was never be on the road before...how it will be?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Because they lock your money in for five years. Then make it a pain to get back. Have this warranty on my van and am still trying to get my money back.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
I was only able to get money back if it was still within the term. Still a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I was thinking maybe the Slingshot warranty might be more similar to a GM warranty, naturally given the powertrain used. That's 5 years, 100K miles, which would be ambitious for such an aggressive recreational vehicle, but I figured it would be protected more like a GM than a Polaris for this particular vehicle, especially to instill confidence in such a different kind of powersports product.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts