Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this a while back on Engadget. Not sure how close they are to production now (I saw it 6 months ago) but I like the HUD idea - especially for the SS without the center mirror. It would be kinda cool to get telemetry data as well.

It has a camera built in (which doesn't help on the SS) but it can also bluetooth to a phone or other camera - I hope.
http://www.skullysystems.com/

Skully Helmets Beta.png
image.jpg

·
Registered
414 Posts
I saw another post asking if the backup camera could be turned on while driving. I didn't understand why anyone would want that until just now. I never thought of the camera as a rear view mirror until I was reading about this helmet. Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My buddy put a backup camera on his house boat ,easy done and cheep and it can stay on all the time if you want it to

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've tried on a Reevu helmet which uses mirrors in the helmet to display a rear image and it was pretty neat, but would definitely only work on an upright bike because it only shows what is directly behind your head.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can a Bluetooth profile support video? I didn't think any of them could, but I don't know much. If there was a way to link or hardwire the ss backup camera to a Skully, I agree, that'd be awesome. There's a couple of other ways to get a HUD display besides a helmet - Garmin makes a HUD projector that links to your phone and costs about $200. Not weatherproof or hard-mounted (i.e., you'd have to remove it every time you parked), so not ideal, but it's something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For a polycarbonate, and the weight of 4 lbs I will pass that is the same material on cheap $59.00 helmets

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately I got the message that I am "allowed" to purchase one for $1700 before the rest of the public. No thanks. I'll keep looking for a better solution.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
No thanks. I'll keep looking for a better solution.
I had read your original post and got really excited about this helmet. I waited for the pre-sale release and almost purchased the 2-pack, but I had two concerns. First, was the ability to turn off or change the camera view. Regardless of the SS, I couldn't imagine having to constantly look at a video of a rear rider on your bike. They will not answer this question or even refer to it as a future update.

The other was the communication, they will not confirm any communication ability, not even Skully to Skully VOX. They have only said that it is "on the road map" and will eventually be available after a future update. I posted the question and got a response from Mitch Weller stating that it will be available at the release of AR-1, but that contradicts what his engineers are stating. I had asked him to confirm his statement but he will not respond now.

I love the Skully concept, but how could they have developed such a technically advanced helmet and not include simple communications as a main feature and only now consider it as an after thought?

I agree @Tango, Skully has a lot more work to do before I spend any of my money with them.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps my hopes were too high, but I totally agree - simple, current features should be included in a super premium helmet. No carbon fiber? No communication? No money. Sorry Scully, I will continue to dream with you but I will continue to demand excellence for that much coin.

·
Super Moderator
5,848 Posts
There is a SS helmet but won't be available until October...my guess would be when the SS are delivered..along with covers, jackets, rain gear etc...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
There is a SS helmet but won't be available until October...my guess would be when the SS are delivered..along with covers, jackets, rain gear etc...
Actually you can order some of the items right now....
http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/oem-slingshot-accessories-now-available-to-order-from-fixmytoys.472/

http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/oem-slingshot-gear-now-available-to-order-from-fixmytoys.467/

I just order some stuff this week from Chris, jackets and shirts will be here next week.

·
Super Moderator
5,848 Posts
Looks like mostly tshirts and caps available right now. My dealer said the cover accessories should arrive when my SS does. That is why the notation available in October. I will hold on until then so I can actually see the clothing stuff.!.!

·
Registered
109 Posts
This helmet is on my wish list, I will buy a bike also in the near future so it would be useful. The back up cam wont be useful with the SS but with the bike it would be cool.
I may get instead a Scorpion EXO-R2000 dispatch helmet, it may be cheesy but the Sky blue one reminds me of Tron lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wonder if a GoPro could be used instead of the mounted camera? In a way it could replace the back up cam. Connect the GP to your phone and from the phone, connect to the helmet...

"The Wi-Fi BacPac™ also enables your HD HERO2 camera to connect to the free GoPro App for remote camera control and content preview on your smartphone or tablet."

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wonder if a GoPro could be used instead of the mounted camera? In a way it could replace the back up cam. Connect the GP to your phone and from the phone, connect to the helmet...

"The Wi-Fi BacPac™ also enables your HD HERO2 camera to connect to the free GoPro App for remote camera control and content preview on your smartphone or tablet."
The battery would die so fast. I have this setup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts