Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to a harsh reality this morning. Having seen the spec sheet for the Slingshot and learning that the vehicles width is 6 1/2 feet, I realized that it would create a serious problem getting it in and out of a garage with the standard 7 foot wide door. Having only 3 inches (or less) space on each side of the vehicle could easily result in damage. My garage has an oversize 10x8 door. However I have a double decker car jack with less than 7 feet clear space between steel poles. No way would I trust myself to try and squeeze a Slingshot between the poles. The Corvette I had wasn't as wide and pulling it in and out of the garage was a nail biter.

I had every intention of placing a deposit on a SS today, but not garaging the vehicle would be out of the question. Because of this I had to cancel my plans. I wonder if Polaris considered the wide frontal area when designing the vehicle? It could be a deal breaker for many.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not sure it's a big concern for Polaris... I've seen plenty of people park motorcycles outside (I wouldn't, but whatever), and I honestly think most people with the disposable income to buy a Slingshot probably have a two car garage.

It may actually be a problem for me though, not sure I could fit both my wife's Edge and the Slingshot in my garage together. It would be tight, I have a VW Wagon and the Edge in there now but the width difference is almost a foot. Might have to back the Slingshot it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a double car garage with two single doors. My wife drives a honda pilot. there are about 3-5in on each side clearance. You get used to it.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Should be fairly easy to see the width since the fenders come up high and are all the way out to the edges (not rounded down towards the tires like most cars). Just gotta get used to it. My Raptor has taught me a LOT of patience and technique pays off.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I had a tape measure on my trailer 2d ,won't fit . Cleaned up my extra garage today moved a few thing and cleaned it up ,will fit inside -but it's tight

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Since there are no doors on the SS you can easily lean out and see the edge of the fender. If your opening is large enough then just lean out and put the edge of your driver side fender an inch from the door. That way you know they you're easily clear on the passenger side. I always park my cars by using the drivers edge instead of trying to center it in the opening. I go in and out of my garage with about a half inch of clearance on my drivers mirror on my HD truck every day with no issues.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Concern yes, I measured the Garage door the day I put the deposit down. 7' 0" face to face.

Made Note to self: Do not let the ole lady put in garage and do not put in garage after an adult beverage or two.

Concerns alleviated :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
First, the width of the SS wasn't designed with parking in mind. Much like the height of my rock crawling wasn't taken into consideration until I had to garage it (it was close).

I have a 2 car garage with a kwik lift on one side. I pulled out the tape measure and the SS will just fit. I'll have to go left and turn right to get it in, but it'll go based on the dimensions given. Oddly enough, it'll be parked next to a 76 Vette :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
So much room for activities!!
I think we should have a coming out party at Turbosling's, I will bring a keg, a smoker with brisket, sausage and Tri-Tip...and of course a couple of scantly clad Ladies for ah...ah... well you know...pic's and stuff :cool::cool::cool:

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Is is not even as wide as a Ford Escape from mirror to mirror.... If you can't "thread that needle" maybe a Vespa is more your speed :rolleyes:
Um, the front track is 5 inches wider than an escape mirror to mirror. But no matter, just park it at Turbosling's parking garage and you'll be fine :D

·
Registered
434 Posts
He did say the bar is ALMOST finished.
I'm sure by the time the SS is picked up, the bar WILL BE finished.
Getting into the garage will be a piece of cake.
Getting it OUT of the garage will be another question.
"Hold my beer and watch this":eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts