Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
I hadn't seen it yet, Thanks for posting it! Nice to finally see a motorcycle "mag" finally do a review. In my mind, It's Slingshot all the way. The Can Am looks alot better than they did but I don't like the counter intuitive steering nor the nannies that you can't undo. The Morgan is just too nostalgic for me like the Prowler, HHR, SSR and waaaay too expensive for me. Sure, it looks like a fighter plane from the '20's but it looks too "dainty", IMO, like it's gonna break if you hit the next curve too hard. It was very interesting to hear the belt whine in the Morgan, very similar to the SS. Like they said, bang for the buck it's Polaris, FTW.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought their review was quite boring. I did like that they mentioned Texas. I was curious about the castor, camber, toe comments. The guy acted like Polaris had dialed up so much adjustment that it was a problem. However, at a certain point, if that were the case you'd be able to tell with the naked eye. I'd hate to wear my tires out so quickly. Maybe some of the owners could chime in here.......Does anyone see a lot of positive or negative camber or toe? @Wolf @Saul Goodman1 @SlingMods @infostrada748 @Rich @ultraron @Hogg @Joker @1poser @ray nellis @Livin1day.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I thought their review was quite boring. I did like that they mentioned Texas. I was curious about the castor, camber, toe comments. The guy acted like Polaris had dialed up so much adjustment that it was a problem. However, at a certain point, if that were the case you'd be able to tell with the naked eye. I'd hate to wear my tires out so quickly. Maybe some of the owners could chime in here.......Does anyone see a lot of positive or negative camber or toe? @Wolf @Saul Goodman1 @SlingMods @infostrada748 @Rich @ultraron @Hogg @Joker @1poser @ray nellis @Livin1day.
Slingking, I am no expert regarding suspension setup but the following is what I did. I placed a level vertically through the center line of each of the front tires. Each appeared to have the same amount of what I would describe as negative camber which is to say that the top of the tire sticks out farther than the bottom of the tire. I don't know how much is too much or if this is even a legitimate way judge it.

·
Vendor
2,216 Posts
Wrong on the no helmet because it has a seat belt. Wish they were right.
Yeah.. i was just trying to find something to support the "no helmet" comment. That seemed a bit off to me. Rolling in the car pool lane may be legal but I'd say you'd have a very high chance of getting rolled. I have all the vehicle codes printed in my glove box to prove to an officer that I don't need a front license plate, that I don't need an "M" license in Ca and that I can indeed drive in the carpool lane. haha. At least they can't get us for tinted windows :)

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slingking, I am no expert regarding suspension setup but the following is what I did. I placed a level vertically through the center line of each of the front tires. Each appeared to have the same amount of what I would describe as negative camber which is to say that the top of the tire sticks out farther than the bottom of the tire. I don't know how much is too much or if this is even a legitimate way judge it.
What you describe sounds like positive camber.....But I'm no expert either. Could you not tell without measuring?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Didn't they test a pre-production model which did have the camber problem?

·
Registered
102 Posts
What you describe sounds like positive camber.....But I'm no expert either. Could you not tell without measuring?
No, I would not have been able to tell without the level. And you may be right about it being positive camber. Maybe someone that is more versed than I can clear it up?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I'm not sure which one they had their hands on. Were all pre-production models affected?
From what I understand all the preproduction models and some of the production models as well had the camber problem. That problem had to be corrected before shipping the production models.

Camber, caster, and toe in can all affect handling .

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I understand all the preproduction models and some of the production models as well had the camber problem. That problem had to be corrected before shipping the production models.

Camber, caster, and toe in can all affect handling .
I thought the camber problem was more isolated to a group of units and not all of them. My bad. Moreover, I know camber, caster, and toe, affect handling but unlike the guy in the video, I don't see that they've really dialed up one or the other to the point he was inferring. At least it doesn't look like it. I suppose it really doesn't take much.

·
Registered
291 Posts
About half way through it. Like that the guy in the Giants hat calls them cars. Because they are (at least the SS and the MOG)! Also like that the guy references the MOG history - for as 'futuristic' as they are, there have been tons of reverse trikes over the years - with the MOG being almost 100 years old

Oh, and my favorite reverse trike of all time - the Messerchmitt KR200. Fetching a king's ransom these days:

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
What do I look for? I'm Not sure how to see camber.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wolf, I was hoping you could tell us. lol. I will look up the definition and post it if someone more knowledgeable doesn't beat me to it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You are right. I was describing positive camber after I looked it up. Plus what I described is exactly the opposite of what I actually observed. The camber is actually negative, bottom of tires stick out further than the top. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well....My specific concern is tire wear. I'm not asking anyone to take measurements, I just want to make sure the SS isn't riding primarily on the inside edge or the outside edge of the tires. If the wheels and tires do not appear to be canted, I'm sure it's fine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts