Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

You guys knew that I was going to save the best questions for last didn't you?! To end our sit down with James, Lead Engineer on the Slingshot, we broke out the big guns. The questions that have been cropping up in the Slingshot Performance sections of the site. Enough with this lead in, and lets get to the pressing questions:

SlingshotForums.com What is the weight bias and can you elaborate on why it's set to what it is?
James It varies between approximately 66:34 and 59:41 based on how much load is being carried. This was chosen to balance tire loading, grip, stability, and rear traction.

SlingshotForums.com Is the brake setup GM or from another production vehicle?
James Polaris developed the brake system specifically for the Slingshot. It is unique to our roadster.

SlingshotForums.com We've heard that it has a short shifter? Is that something Polaris developed for the AR5 and added on or is it just the standard AR5 shift linkage?
James It is a modified AR5 shift linkage (shortened front-to-back) with a custom-designed shift knob to provide short shift throws.

SlingshotForums.com What is the widest rear tire/wheel width that the swingarm will accept?
James Larger wheels/tires can have a different rolling diameter, which could reduce effectiveness of the stability control system, alter ride height, and compromise the roadster’s handling. We do not recommend altering Slingshot’s wheel and tire sizes.

SlingshotForums.com Will a larger stickier rear tire interfere with the stability control or traction control systems?
James Potentially. A larger rolling radius will affect the rear wheel’s speed signal, which could alter the performance of the stability control system. Polaris does not recommend altering wheel sizes or using non-Slingshot tires.

SlingshotForums.com What is the stock 0-60 mph time?
James We are currently not publicizing performance figures. Doug, you’ve been in a Slingshot, so I think you’ll understand what I’m getting at here. Slingshot’s unique combination of low stance, open air cockpit, side-by-side seating, responsive corning and acceleration provide an experience that we feel is unlike any other vehicle currently in the marketplace. We want consumers to experience the entire vehicle rather than just relying on 0-60 time before forming an opinion.

SlingshotForums.com How much additional hp will the drive belt be able to withstand?
James Our experience shows that the most severe loading on the drive belt does not occur due to the engine’s power- it occurs on hard downshifts. The main limitation on belt durability will be on its exposure to rocks and other debris.

Again, we would like to send a big Thank You out to Polaris Industries and James for taking time out of his busy day to sit down and answer our questions! All of us here at SlingshotForums.com know how lucky we were to get his ear for even just a minute!

In case you missed the other two parts of our sit down with James, check them out here:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks James for our 3 part questions on the Polaris Slingshot. Some question answers are as
expected. But still informational. I'm excited on trying one of these out soon!

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm going with a lower than expected 0-60 time since you have to experience the whole package to dig it completely. If it were higher than expected, i'd imagine they'd be bragging about it. Thank you though for the information series. It appears to be the only additional info out there

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not really concerned about not changing the tire sizes, I'm sure there's some element of liability prevention in there. As far as not releasing the performance data... Who knows. It's probably good compared to a lot of cars, but not good compared to most sport bikes of course. Don't want to turn off a potential customer base, of course, by not telling us it makes it look like it's not great...

·
Registered
45 Posts
On second thought, kinda upset about not sharing the info. I mean, we are going to find out soon anyway, I'm pretty sure most people that want to buy one are going to do some homework, read some reviews, they'll know the number from un-official sources before they buy anyway so why not just say it?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Any other car being released usually has performance numbers
Way before. Anyways looking at what we have.

Rated g's is .88g

Buying something in the slingshot's price range.
Say a Subaru Brz. Rated g's is .90g
Say something used.
A Evo 8 or 9. Rated g's .93g

I think the slingshot will do pretty good stock.
And im thinking aftermarket for handling will make it
Even better! If you're looking at straight line speed, you might
End up a little disappointed. If you're looking at corner
Carving, I think the slingshot will do well. Though she is not a
Bike because she drives more like a car. And though she's not
A car with missing one rear wheel and being totally Open to the elements like a bike.
I think we will enjoy the ride and feel
Of the slingshot! Some of us will also
Be the pioneers to make her better and
Push the boundaries!

In short, I can't fricken wait!!! :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
James:We do not recommend altering Slingshot’s wheel and tire sizes(because we sell the Premium for 1900$ and we want to sell them...)!!!

James:We want consumers to experience the entire vehicle rather than just relying on 0-60 time before forming an opinion.(Because if the result was 7.0 we will lose some sales!)

Like you said James:: The Slingshot’s is a unique combination of low stance, open air cockpit, side-by-side seating, responsive corning and acceleration provide an experience that we feel is unlike any other vehicle currently in the marketplace.......

That's why i don't care of the 0-60 result! No need to be so secret! Like the reason i buy a T-Rex, i buy to have something different and funny to drive...! That's why i will buy a SS...

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
James:We do not recommend altering Slingshot’s wheel and tire sizes(because we sell the Premium for 1900$ and we want to sell them...)!!!

James:We want consumers to experience the entire vehicle rather than just relying on 0-60 time before forming an opinion.(Because if the result was 7.0 we will lose some sales!)

Like you said James:: The Slingshot’s is a unique combination of low stance, open air cockpit, side-by-side seating, responsive corning and acceleration provide an experience that we feel is unlike any other vehicle currently in the marketplace.......

That's why i don't care of the 0-60 result! No need to be so secret! Like the reason i buy a T-Rex, i buy to have something different and funny to drive...! That's why i will buy a SS...
I agree. I am not buying the SS to take to the track to post the lowest 0-60 numbers in the industry. I am buying for the experience of having an unique vehicle unlike any other currently in the market place. James, I am not concerned about the 0-60 number but it does concern me that you refuse to give it to me. It is going to be known very soon anyway so it does not make sense to hold it back. If it is so low to embarrass you now just wait for the embarrassment you will receive because you refused to release it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
If it is so low to embarrass you now just wait for the embarrassment you will receive because you refused to release it.
Exactly...

We better get used to the idea now that it will be for example 6.2 sec and bought happy to have paid $ 28,000 and know the figure then!

That would be the first time I buy a "whatsoever motor" without knowing all the specs!!

Not because the SS look like an exotic car that mean i want the same result of the Ariel Atom...X-Bow or T-Rex...then, go ahead...whats is the 0-60?I did not hear!!

·
You could've had a V8
2,361 Posts
Rev matching people... rev matching.

I think the 0-60 performance will be the easiest to fix. A sticky wide rear tire will shave a massive amount of time.

As for wheels/tires affecting the ESC, the main concern will be larger diameter not width meaning if you go to 22" wheels/tires it will alter stuff. keep it within the stock diameter wheels

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any other car being released usually has performance numbers
Way before. Anyways looking at what we have.

Rated g's is .88g

Buying something in the slingshot's price range.
Say a Subaru Brz. Rated g's is .90g
Say something used.
A Evo 8 or 9. Rated g's .93g

I think the slingshot will do pretty good stock.
And im thinking aftermarket for handling will make it
Even better! If you're looking at straight line speed, you might
End up a little disappointed. If you're looking at corner
Carving, I think the slingshot will do well. Though she is not a
Bike because she drives more like a car. And though she's not
A car with missing one rear wheel and being totally Open to the elements like a bike.
I think we will enjoy the ride and feel
Of the slingshot! Some of us will also
Be the pioneers to make her better and
Push the boundaries!

In short, I can't fricken wait!!! :)

don't forget the 01 Corvette Z06 .98g+

·
Registered
210 Posts
all I see is "don't change the tire because we plan to charge you a lot of money for these $60 tires because they are special! I promise! You may go faster with stickier tires but then you will be going faster then we wanted you too"

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm wondering how many of the reviewers like Cycleworld know the specs or measured them already and have been sworn to secrecy. I suspect the web will be flooded with numbers the day after these hit the showrooms.

Maybe Polaris has a trick up their sleeve. Maybe this thing has rockin' numbers and they plan to let the media release them. They avoid liability and build a second round of hype. Could they be that sneeky?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm wondering how many of the reviewers like Cycleworld know the specs or measured them already and have been sworn to secrecy. I suspect the web will be flooded with numbers the day after these hit the showrooms.

Maybe Polaris has a trick up their sleeve. Maybe this thing has rockin' numbers and they plan to let the media release them. They avoid liability and build a second round of hype. Could they be that sneeky?
I would be the first to be surprised that a company would do this! If for example the SS can do 0-60 in 4.1 seconds you would be so proud that YOU WANT to say a whole planet !!!

If the SS stand 2.0G on the skid pad ... YOU WANT whole world knowing !!

I continue to say that I will buy no matter the numbers ... but I do not expect any amazing numbers! I prefer to think like that and be very happy to be mistaken than to expect much and be disappointed!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'd sure like to know how the frame gets by with little to no triangulation; maybe the body is stressed?

Or perhaps to keep complexity/cost down they just used heavy walled tubing, which may also explain the relatively high weight (hundreds of lb more than Lotus 7 type cars).

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

I do not think Polaris has a trick up their sleeve. And if the SS had rockin' numbers for sure Polaris would be screaming those great numbers from the highest roof top. No one is buying the SS expecting the 0 to 60 to be in the low 4's. It's the expected total driving experience selling the SS just like Polaris had been shouting since day one. I do not expect low numbers but I do anticipate a driving experience like none other.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts