Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

And now for Part 2 of the interview with Polaris Slingshot Lead Engineer, James!

In this installment of questions, we chose to focus on some of the questions that the travelling Slingshot driver might be interested in. We asked James the questions that have been creeping around the forums from those that intend on touring and towing the Slingshot around this great country of ours.

SlingshotForums.com Where are the 12V outlets located?
James One inside the glovebox, and one between driver and passenger, above the cupholders.

SlingshotForums.com What is the alternator output?
James 130 amps.

SlingshotForums.com Do you have exact dimensions of the cargo areas?
James Total storage on Slingshot measures in at approximately 22 gallons
The storage openings are approximately 300mm wide by 390mm tall. Inside, the storage boxes are larger than the openings, but in irregular and difficult to measure ways. A standard size backpack or a full faced helmet will fit in each of the two storage compartments.

SlingshotForums.com What is the process to swap out or remove windshields?
James Simple!
  • Open the hood, 1 screw on each side, one in the center (blade windshield)
  • Open the hood, 2 screws each side (double bubble)

SlingshotForums.com A lot of people are wanting to pull a lightweight motorcycle trailer so they can use the Slingshot to tour around. Are there any plans to add some sort of trailer hitch or are there any issues with pulling a trailer designed for a motorcycle?
James Not currently.

SlingshotForums.com What is the life expectancy on a stock machine of the drive belt?
James Per the owner’s manual, Polaris recommends inspecting the drive belt every 5000 miles for damage. There is no set replacement interval.

That last question was a bit of a lead in to our next session with James! We are kind of excited to let you know what he had to say in response to our last set of questions!

Stay tuned!

If you missed Part 1 of the Interview, check it out here: Shared Experience: An Interview with the Slingshot Lead Engineer Part 1

·
Registered
82 Posts
it looks kinda cool as a naked frame XD

not much room is wasted is there!

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
looks like the storage is a bit smaller than I thought. Good thing I don't plan on cross country travel (without it being on a trailer :) )

Can't wait for part 3...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Nice information! Yeah storage is a bit smaller than the T-Rex...but like i say in another post just attach saddlebag on each roll bar!!

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yes, Thank you very much for posting this info. But....does anyone have a clue why the specifications for the slingshot are still such a secret? ie: 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, estimated MPG's, types of brakes, stopping distances, even the type of radio/speakers, watts per channel, etc? I mean if the stated release date for the general public is true, we are only approximately 6-8 weeks away. Obviously, this forum has some kinda "juice" with Polaris to get this limited info, just wondering if it's designed to build anticipation or are they still working on it to make changes, improvements, testing or what.
On the Camaro forum I belong to, GM assigns representatives as members of the forum who are really there just to facilitate resolution to any complaints that forum members have but they also have a gentleman who has been the leader on the design team for the F Body Camaro's. He frequently posts extremely interesting and informative facts about the design and build of that car. He even answers private messages from members of the forum and this is a guys who's pretty up there in Chevy. It would be great if Polaris did this kind of thing for this forum. I mean its wonderful to know exactly how big the storage compartments are or how the windshield attaches and where the electrical outlets are located but how 'bout some real dirt? Not trying to be a dick here but I'm REALLY anxious.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Question for James! Have body difference between Canadian and American model?
especially front and hood for the headlights.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Yes, Thank you very much for posting this info. But....does anyone have a clue why the specifications for the slingshot are still such a secret? ie: 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, estimated MPG's, types of brakes, stopping distances, even the type of radio/speakers, watts per channel, etc? I mean if the stated release date for the general public is true, we are only approximately 6-8 weeks away. Obviously, this forum has some kinda "juice" with Polaris to get this limited info, just wondering if it's designed to build anticipation or are they still working on it to make changes, improvements, testing or what.
On the Camaro forum I belong to, GM assigns representatives as members of the forum who are really there just to facilitate resolution to any complaints that forum members have but they also have a gentleman who has been the leader on the design team for the F Body Camaro's. He frequently posts extremely interesting and informative facts about the design and build of that car. He even answers private messages from members of the forum and this is a guys who's pretty up there in Chevy. It would be great if Polaris did this kind of thing for this forum. I mean its wonderful to know exactly how big the storage compartments are or how the windshield attaches and where the electrical outlets are located but how 'bout some real dirt? Not trying to be a dick here but I'm REALLY anxious.
Excellent idea Saint it would be a great idea for Polaris to have a Rep monitor this forum. Once these units start hitting the streets that Rep would really come in handy IMHO.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Excellent idea Saint it would be a great idea for Polaris to have a Rep monitor this forum. Once these units start hitting the streets that Rep would really come in handy IMHO.
That is probably the biggest difference - the vehicle isn't out yet so I am sure they are pretty tight lipped about most specs.

It won't be until the blogs, mags, and press start instrument testing the SS will we start to hear anything. I think everything they have said so far is very underrated (like cornering Gs) so that when you hear the real numbers it will be "amazing" - Ford did this will the last Shelby. They stated it could have over 600 HP but crushed that number with 662.

So I would imagine there will be even more interest in this site by Polaris once the deliveries start and we might find some more "insiders" chatting with us.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Since we already have "dealers" here I wouldn't be surprised if Polaris isn't observing this site already. Just sitting back and grinning.........:cool:

·
Registered
839 Posts
I don't know if your answer is there?
SlingshotForums.com What is the wheel bore diameter?
James 70mm, front and rear

SlingshotForums.com What is the offset of front and rear wheels?
James
  • Front: 42mm
  • Rear: 45mm
SlingshotForums.com What is the bolt pattern of the wheels, both front and rear?
James 5x114.3mm (4.5”)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts