Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is NOT a delivery bitch thread.

But Polaris best hurry it up on getting my butt to sit in an SS at least.

After a low-side almost 20 years ago I thought I'd given up 2 wheels for good. 2 days in the hospital burn ward because it was "a short ride" and I didn't wear any gear but a helmet. My fault.

Enter the new millennia and the announcement of the Slingshot. To it's own detriment oddly enough. I hit the local powersports shop in the "shut up and take my money" mindset. Got the deposit down and decide I better get my motorcycle endorsement to ride legally for the first time in my life.

All goes well at the MSF course and IDOT taking the knowledge test. I'm a brand new LEGAL motorcycle rider. This is early August ( I put my deposit down Aug 2nd).

Being a white male in my 40s, the midlife crisis logic kicks in. I should get a bike while I wait. Here's the crazy thing, I actually order riding gear before I find a bike I'm interested in on craigslist. A week after getting helmet, gloves and jacket, I close the deal on a 2001 ZX6R for $2500 with a few mods.

I was scared shitless the first time I swung a leg over. My most recent ride was on a TU250x during my class. Test ride was 85 miles to home with the wife running in front so I knew how fast I was going (+3 on the rear sprocket with no speedo healer).

I'd like to think, because of my age and history (3 low sides), I'm riding safer and smarter. I'm navigating rush hour traffic (nothing like the bigger cities mind you) with the riding skill (just like riding a bike, you never forget it just takes a bit of time to get comfortable) and a middle finger to use on the cagers driving like idiots.

ATGATT. I can be learned good.

HOOK, LINE AND SINKER. I'm hooked again. Wife's only question was about life insurance :D

I've even been looking for a vintage cruiser. Something like a Ural or, more recently, a Royal Enfield Continental GT (cafe) or Bullet C5 in military livery for tootling around. To be honest, the acceleration of the Ninja makes for mentally/physically draining commutes (not that I will let it go. He who dies with the most toys wins :) ).

Come on Polaris, let me physically see/sit in one of these before the money runs out! Hell, I'm only 220 miles from the manufacturing site. With that said, I've already set the money aside for the SS and wife won't let me back out now :p

Apologies for the long-winded post, I just had to get this off my chest in a group setting with people that might understand the disease. Sorry for dumping my purse on you lot.

·
Registered
497 Posts
NDV, We all go through different phases in our life and have to adjust and accommodate for what life puts in front of us.

I too am struggling with whether to keep my motorcycle and the slingshot or go ahead and sell the motorcycle. Until I can actually possess the slingshot I can't make that decision.

And don't worry about the long-winded post I've had a few on here myself A couple of them I wish the computer breathalyzer had kicked in

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NDV, We all go through different phases in our life and have to adjust and accommodate for what life puts in front of us.

I too am struggling with whether to keep my motorcycle and the slingshot or go ahead and sell the motorcycle. Until I can actually possess the slingshot I can't make that decision.

And don't worry about the long-winded post I've had a few on here myself A couple of them I wish the computer breathalyzer had kicked in
Are you saying I've been drinking? :p Well... maybe.. I had a beer when I got home.

It was just one of those moments of levity for me. Like creating the rock crawler, rebuilding the vette etc.

Glad to know there are others out there like me.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
I'm about to just buy me a new f3 spyder and a ktm 1290 super Duke.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
NDV, call the plant up and take a tour. You can see them up close, hear them running, and at least satisfy some of your itch. They had a couple of SS sitting out in front of the plant last weekend and there were people sitting in, leaning on, and taking pictures of them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Are you saying I've been drinking? :p Well... maybe.. I had a beer when I got home.

It was just one of those moments of levity for me. Like creating the rock crawler, rebuilding the vette etc.

Glad to know there are others out there like me.
NVD, I was not accusing you of drinking...I was simply welating my own espericenes...:p

·
Registered
541 Posts
Great post. Know the feeling. When I was young a guy ran me over, he was in my lane.
Was awhile before I got back on a mc.
Haven't ridden in alot of years.
Then along comes the SS. It's a whole new ball game. Like you my wife's all for it and I can't wait to plant my back side into the SS.
I know the wife and I will enjoy the rides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts