Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a set of headsets to use for intercom and music. Want to share the music between the two. I am looking for something to use without helmets.

I've read a lot of posts here about the SPH10 and a couple regarding the Expand but even searching on Google, I haven't found a comparison between the two models. They are close to the same in price. Can anybody here offer a comparison between the two models?

Want to get them ordered but don't want to order them and then find a reason why I should have gone with the others.

It appears that the Expand has a further range but that is not really important to me. Either should work for talking to the passenger right next to me. Most important to me is being able to talk to the passenger and music quality.

·
Registered
237 Posts
@Dknelson

I see you are interested in having dependable communications with your passenger and having quality music while riding without helmets. May I ask a few questions?
Are you now or planning on in the near future going boosted?
What type of boost?
What type of exhaust are you or will you be running?
What type of windscreen are you or will you be running?
Do you or will you be running a top?
What kind of top?
Do you or will you be running a wind restrictor?

All these questions may seem excessive to say the least but they all have their place. We, like you ride without helmets. We started out on a SS with a factory windscreen, no boost, factory exhaust, no top, and no wind restrictor. As we added each piece we got to see how it affected the level of noise and wind currents within the cockpit. Some of the additions had the expected affect and some were totally opposite. We are very happy with our current "temporary" setup and look forward to getting it permanently installed during mod season. Right now if we are going on a short ride (30min one way) then we don't usually use the headsets but if we plan to go for a longer ride we go ahead and connect everything up. "Connect Everything Up"??? Yep, even though our headsets are bluetooth capable they connect to the intercom with cables. Then the MP3 connects to the controller for each headset via a splitter cable and the aux port on the controller and then we can each blue tooth our phones to our individual headsets. There are two parts we are currently missing that I hope we can get figured out prior to "mod season". #1 being a bluetooth dongle that will connect with the factory stereo or aftermarket GPS so we can inject the audio from the gps into the aux port of the intercom system. #2 being a remote mounted dual band transceiver that the intercom will tie into for any bike to bike communications that are necessary. Now you can see why we are waiting on "mod season" to do the permanent installation of all this. Once done it should be as simple as setting down in the SS and putting on your headsets and turning everything on.

The most important thing that I forgot to mention is that the particular headsets that we chose are ANR enabled. When you press that switch all the constant, droning, and monotonous noises go away! All that is left is noises that are constantly changing like music etc. We can ride down the road at whatever speed and have a normal conversation without screaming into the mic. If a cars comes along side of us we can hear it. What ever headset you choose try to get one that has ANR and you will thank yourself every time you use them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK...here are my answers.

What type of boost?

No desire or plans to add boost.

Running stock exhaust. Will likely change it later to get rid of the cat and route the exhaust away from the passenger. Nothing major.

I'm running the Madstad single 11". Pleased with it and no plans to change.

What kind of top?

Running Bullet Speed V-Back canvas top. No plans to change.

Don't think I will be adding one. Haven't really looked much into it.

My '16 is a base model. I have not added a stereo and likely won't. The ONLY thing we use for music in the car and on the motorcycle are our Iphones. Usually Pandora or Apple music. I have no desire to add a complete stereo system for a lot of money for features that we will not use. All I want is Music and Intercom. I prefer music through the headsets. I have external speakers on the motorcycle also and never use them. I use a "Edsets" system on the motorcycle but it has a factory wired system and the Edsets are just speakers and a microphone. They do have a jack that allows me to plug in earbuds and not use the helmet speakers though and that is what we do. I don't think there is anything available in Bluetooth though that has a microphone and lets you plug in earbuds.

·
Registered
237 Posts
OK...here are my answers.

What type of boost?

No desire or plans to add boost. Good deal! Adding boost often times adds noise and in some applications lots of it.

Running stock exhaust. Will likely change it later to get rid of the cat and route the exhaust away from the passenger. Nothing major. This one can be a bit tricky. A side exhaust can reduce the amount of heat on her side but it can also add a lot of noise to her side. An exhaust out the rear can also reduce the heat felt by the passenger but there can be issues with exhaust fumes in the cockpit as well as noise created on the drivers side of the cockpit depending on how the tip is made.

I'm running the Madstad single 11". Pleased with it and no plans to change. Our experience with the windscreen is that it not only affects the way air is circulated throughout the cockpit but also plays a big part in how much road noise, exhaust noise ect is reflected back into the cockpit.

What kind of top?

Running Bullet Speed V-Back canvas top. No plans to change. The top like the windscreen really changes the air flow in the cockpit but I never expected it to reflect so much noise. It was much quieter in the cockpit prior to the slingshade top which as you know is a "hard top". In my experience the canvas tops do not have the same level of noise reflection.

Don't think I will be adding one. Haven't really looked much into it. Again in addition to air flow the wind restrictor reflects noise. Thankfully this time in my situation it helped because the noise was coming from the rear. If I had of had a side exit exhaust then it would likely have caused even more noise in the cockpit.

My '16 is a base model. I have not added a stereo and likely won't. The ONLY thing we use for music in the car and on the motorcycle are our Iphones. Usually Pandora or Apple music. I have no desire to add a complete stereo system for a lot of money for features that we will not use. All I want is Music and Intercom. I prefer music through the headsets. I have external speakers on the motorcycle also and never use them. I use a "Edsets" system on the motorcycle but it has a factory wired system and the Edsets are just speakers and a microphone. They do have a jack that allows me to plug in earbuds and not use the helmet speakers though and that is what we do. I don't think there is anything available in Bluetooth though that has a microphone and lets you plug in earbuds.We like our music through the headsets as well. Our sling came with the ride command system and has decent speakers but in an open cockpit you really can't compete with a good pair of headsets for music quality not to even speak of the convenience and comfort of the intercom system. And for those who are reading along and are thinking that we are trying to turn our SS into a car that is not the case. I suppose we are spoiled to the intercom/stereo/communications system that we had on the GW. Hopefully we can emulate that experience with the system we are building for our SS.
It was not my intent to be nosey about your SS or your setup but I thought I may be able to give you one persons perspective on what we have experienced along the way. Good luck with your system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I ordered the SPH10 units. I called Sena and spoke with a young lady who really didn't seem to know what she was talking about. She first claimed that the Expand was better because of the short mic. Claimed that it would pick up less wind noise. That is exactly the opposite of the reviews that I have read where they all say that the longer boom mic works best in windy situations. I also downloaded both user manuals from the Sena website and read what they had to say.

First of all, the SPH10 actually comes with two mics. The longer boom mic and also a short "stubby" mic. So even if she was correct, you could just switch to the shorter mic.

Anyway, right or wrong, here are my main reasons for going with the SPH10 units.

1. It actually comes with two mics that are interchangeable. One is the longer "boom" mic. The other is a short "stub" mic. The reviews that I read stated that the longer mic actually works better when there is a lot of noise as you can get it close to your mouth and it doesn't pick up as much ambient noise.

2. I like the fact that it has the aux input port. Don't know that we'll use it because we mostly stream Pandora or Apple Music but we do have an Ipod with a LOT of our old music on it that we enjoy listening to from time to time.

3. The biggest reason. The SPH10 allows you to toggle between push to talk on the intercom and "VOX" control. Push to talk may work better if there is a lot of wind at freeway speeds but the "VOX" would be great for those slower rides in the country. The Expand is push to talk only.

They should arrive on Friday and I'm anxious to try them out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The main, and significant, difference that I’ve read from a number of specification lists from various sites, including the manufacturer’s, is range.

The SPH10 range: 900 meters.
The SEN-EXTEND range: 300 meters.

I’ve also seen statements that declare the SEN-EXTEND “supersedes” the SPH10. I have to say, don’t get it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
These units use BlueTooth. I don't believe (although I've never confirmed it) that the Intercom does not use a different or separate radio system. BlueTooth has a very limited range. The way it was explained to me is that you get longer range by cascading from one unit to another to another. Unit "A" connects to Unit "B", Unit "B" connects to Unit "C", up to 4 units for a total range of whatever is specified for that model.

Again, take this with a grain of salt as I don't completely trust my source.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey DK- thanks for doing some research for me!! The Sena website does not have a 'compare' feature. I was about to order the expands because there were quite a few reviews regarding the bands breaking on the sph10, including 2 reviews on Amazon with pics. No one complained about the expands not fitting well or breaking, and they were cheaper. But the 2 mics and the VOX are nice features, well worth an extra $20 each. I'll order from Amazon so I can always return them, and maybe I'll tape or heat shrink mine right away to make them a little stronger.

So did you get yours and are you happy with them? Anyone have else have personal feedback on the expands or sph10s? And why do you drive slow in the country? The farther from town the faster I go......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Today I ordered the SPH10 units. I called Sena and spoke with a young lady who really didn't seem to know what she was talking about. She first claimed that the Expand was better because of the short mic. Claimed that it would pick up less wind noise. That is exactly the opposite of the reviews that I have read where they all say that the longer boom mic works best in windy situations. I also downloaded both user manuals from the Sena website and read what they had to say.

First of all, the SPH10 actually comes with two mics. The longer boom mic and also a short "stubby" mic. So even if she was correct, you could just switch to the shorter mic.

Anyway, right or wrong, here are my main reasons for going with the SPH10 units.

1. It actually comes with two mics that are interchangeable. One is the longer "boom" mic. The other is a short "stub" mic. The reviews that I read stated that the longer mic actually works better when there is a lot of noise as you can get it close to your mouth and it doesn't pick up as much ambient noise.

2. I like the fact that it has the aux input port. Don't know that we'll use it because we mostly stream Pandora or Apple Music but we do have an Ipod with a LOT of our old music on it that we enjoy listening to from time to time.

3. The biggest reason. The SPH10 allows you to toggle between push to talk on the intercom and "VOX" control. Push to talk may work better if there is a lot of wind at freeway speeds but the "VOX" would be great for those slower rides in the country. The Expand is push to talk only. "WRONG... Expand is True duplex only... No PTT"

They should arrive on Friday and I'm anxious to try them out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The main, and significant, difference that I’ve read from a number of specification lists from various sites, including the manufacturer’s, is range.

The SPH10 range: 900 meters.
The SEN-EXTEND range: 300 meters.

I’ve also seen statements that declare the SEN-EXTEND “supersedes” the SPH10. I have to say, don’t get it.
WRONG.... EXPAND ALSO HAS 900 Meters or 980 Yard range... per SENA's owners manuals

1 - 19 of 19 Posts