Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in Illinois so there is no helmet law for motorcycles, so technically I dont have to wear either the helmet or the seat belt, true?

In states where you have a helmet law, would wearing the seat belt trump the helmet law?
If no, why not?

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
Im in Illinois so there is no helmet law for motorcycles, so technically I dont have to wear either the helmet or the seat belt, true?

In states where you have a helmet law, would wearing the seat belt trump the helmet law?
If no, why not?
I just checked Illinois laws. You are correct no helmet, and since the SS is a motorcycle by law, exempt from seat belt law.

If other states are written like yours, I would say helmet is required. Wearing a seat belt would be the only optional item.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
Starting today in Illinois the SS is no longer considered a motorcycle It's now an auto cycle and no longer requires a motorcycle license. There will be a new plate and registration to follow. I have been told this by the dealer and have not read this anywhere so take it for what it's worth.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
If no, why not?
Simply put, unless there's language in that law that allows for an exception, the seat belt doesn't matter. I'm not saying your thought isn't reasonable, it just wouldn't be legal.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Starting today in Illinois the SS is no longer considered a motorcycle It's now an auto cycle and no longer requires a motorcycle license. There will be a new plate and registration to follow. I have been told this by the dealer and have not read this anywhere so take it for what it's worth.
I knew they wanted to introduce that into legislature or whatever, did not know that it had been voted on, laws written, and passed into law already.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Auto-cycle? Might be a blessing in Florida due to the insurance issues. Then again it might be a curse as well. Time will tell. I hope they leave it as described by Polaris as a motorcycle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What part of the State is your dealer from?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm waiting till May to buy mine, by then maybe all the ridiculous added cost will disappear. If I was to try buying one right now m choice is Chris Ball in Michigan. He offers a discount to forum member, no freight, set-up fees, only $100.00 deposit. Also sells the extended warranty at a reduced cost. Call for a quote and you will see what I mean. He is a supporting vendor on here. Ball Equipment. Second choice would be Best Buy in Fort Pierce, Fl.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
I knew they wanted to introduce that into legislature or whatever, did not know that it had been voted on, laws written, and passed into law already.
I did a check and its true, Senate Bill SB 3130 Regulates the use of autocycles - vehicles that have three wheels, but seating like a car rather than a motorcycle or bicycle

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

If no, why not?
In VT, the "autocycle" is a motorcycle, helmets are required and the SS comes with seatbelts and must be worn. Seatbelt law is a secondary offense and you can not be stopped for it, unless your passenger is under the age of 16. This state is all jacked up!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
You may want to check with your local law enforcement on eye protection. If not wearing a helmet, you "may" be required to wear eye protection. If you are required to wear a helmet, you may still want to check into this as the visor being up above your eyes.... all the way open exposed....can require eye protection as well.

I am sure this wil vary vastly depending on location.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Illinois Autocycle plate is supposed to be 4X7, same as the bike plate, per SB3130.

No seatbelt law yet, but stay tuned.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have contacts at Secretary of State. I called yesterday and she said "an auto what?" I just had to laugh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts