Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We own a 2017 SLR and today I noticed the screws that hold the seat back on are all broken loose. Took it to the dealer and I was told this is not uncommon, hopefully the extended warranty will cover.t seem they are screwed into a plastic threaded plug that breaks off due to vibration. Anyone else have this issue, I did not notice until I was putting stuff in the storage compartment

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
IIRC, this was most likely caused when whoever assembled the seat over-tightened the screw, snapping the plastic fitting. Doing this process with a a power tool seems to be more likely to result in over-tightening than if a screwdriver is used.
Of the 2 sets of seats I've had, only 1 or 2 of these plastic nuts were broken and my seats have seemed firmly attached to the seat frames. I've thought about possible fixes and, IMO, the easiest solution would be to use a flat strip of metal spanning the damaged plastic and screwed or riveted on both sides of the damaged area an then using a sheet metal screw thru the seat frame into a properly centered hole in the metal strip, being careful get tighten snugly w/o over-tightening. Metal strips could be added as needed if the seat needs any shimming for an even fit.
I attached a simple pic to hopefully show what I propose as a fix.
BrokenSeatNutSolution.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts