Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in the regional (Canada) section, but I need to hear from Polaris if they'll be able to sell the Slingshot in Ontario. I already sold my Miata and looking to buy an SS in the new year. Am I screwed?

Per Ontario Ministry of Transportation...

1. What is a motor tricycle?
  • Three-wheeled motorcycles are commonly referred to as “motor tricycles”. A three-wheeled motorcycle may have either two rear wheels or two front wheels, or may be a two-wheeled motorcycle with a sidecar.
  • The federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) defines a motor tricycle as a motorcycle that:
    • is designed to travel on three wheels in contact with the ground,
    • has seating on which all occupants must sit astride,
    • has no more than four designated seating positions,
    • has a GVWR of 1,000 kg or less; and
    • does not have a structure partially or fully enclosing the driver and passenger, other than that part of the vehicle forward of the driver's torso and the seat backrest.
The T-Rex vehicle has 3 wheels? Can it be registered as a motor tricycle?
  • The Ministry is adopting the federal definition of a motor tricycle.
  • Federally, the T-Rex is classified under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) as a three-wheeled vehicle, not a motor tricycle like the Spyder.
  • The province of Ontario has not adopted the federal three-wheeled vehicle definition nor developed regulations in support of this Three-wheeled vehicle class. Three-wheeled vehicles have been registered in Ontario in the past but must meet provincial safety and equipment requirements for passenger vehicles in order to be eligible for operation on Ontario’s roads.
  • The T-Rex does not meet provincial safety and equipment requirements for passenger vehicles.
  • The typical difference between a motor tricycle and a three-wheeled vehicle is that the motor tricycle has steering handlebars and the occupants sit astride while a three-wheeled vehicle has a steering wheel and the occupants sit in conventional seats.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Local dealers are still claiming on their websites that Slingshots are on the way. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if they still expecting them in. I'm fearing a Texas type situation unfolding here...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Dealer in Regina says its approved, but it concerns me when you look on dealer locater map, only dealers in BC, Alberta and Quebec show up.
I think those are the only provinces where the T-Rex is legal. I know for a fact it isn't legal in Ontario.

I have a stomach ache… :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts