Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
See, now THAT'S a crazy revving motorcycle engine making magic. Chevy Ecotec? ...from a Cobalt?

Picture-1.jpg

Let's hope it's HEAVILY modded, or not a Chevy engine at all.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From everything I've heard the Ecotec engines are really reliable. I also hear that there are guys making big horsepower out of them. Considering the big engine out of their current products is a V-Twin motorcycle engine or a twin cylinder 999cc UTV engine, I'm perfectly happy if they go the route of an Ecotec.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Either that Atom has some form of VVT-i or one hell of a boost on it (or both).

I'll stand corrected... Fingers crossed for a fun reliable power plant.

Nice :cool:

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
The disconcerting thing about this cool scorpion p6 is that it costs $35k. that is a LOT of scratch for a reconfigured zx6r. They re-utilized most of the functional parts of the zx6r (engine, electronics to include dash, exterior lighting, etc).

A zx6r costs $11,699 retail. I'll bet if I bought a bunch of them I could get them for less than $10k each. They utilize say 70% of the bike and sell the left over parts cheap (to include frame) for say $2000. that means they have a lot of the vehicle for $8,000. Where is the other $23k? Especially when a lot of the powertrain is already paid for in the $8k.

I am cool with people making money but seems more realistic at $20k-$22k. Hell, they have an "r" model for $44k with carbon bits and upgraded suspension. I suppose they don't want to sell very many.

I just hope Polaris doesn't go down the same path and price the Slingshot into a niche market. If they keep the price down they can sell tons and get into the real money - parts and service. Look at Ford's balance sheet vs. Spyker or any other boutique automaker.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Saturn sky 2.4 ecotec was 177hp and 170tq vs. the zx6r (Scorpion P6) 126hp and about 48tq. I will take the ecotec any day.
We can still get a good 200 BHP from a new 2.4 liter stock Honda K24Z7. Guaranteed more reliable than an Ecotec and more fun as well. That should have been their choice. And hey, at least it's still in production with many years to go for new parts! The Ecotec isn't.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
We can still get a good 200 BHP from a new 2.4 liter stock Honda K24Z7. Guaranteed more reliable than an Ecotec and more fun as well. That should have been their choice. And hey, at least it's still in production with many years to go for new parts! The Ecotec isn't.
I totally agree. The K24 should be in the engine room. Considering the patent application was in 2011, the 2.4 kinda makes sense. I do hope they switched it to the Honda as opposed to the gen iii 2.5 ecotec though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I totally agree. The K24 should be in the engine room. Considering the patent application was in 2011, the 2.4 kinda makes sense. I do hope they switched it to the Honda as opposed to the gen iii 2.5 ecotec though.
Yeah, but the new K24Z7 has been out since then, so they don't have an excuse. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
what the F are you going to do with 200 HP ?

300 HP ??

more ???

the rear tire only has 600# of weight ? equal distribution ??

so the Mu coefficient of friction is totally limited !

The TriHawk with the Citroen engine and front wheel drive could out-corner anything on the road …

only had 100 HP !

The Scorpion III with the K12RS engine and 135 HP six-speed SEQUENTIAL SHIFTING ENGINE will do 60 in 5 seconds !

I am NOT trying to sell anything ! I keep a Scorpion here on the Island, one in Florida, one in Vermont. there are many GREAT TOYS ! The issue is, are they available to purchase NOW and can you afford them ??

I am an old retired guy, age 63, don't have to work and just enjoy what I have accumulated over the years.

can you put studded snow tires on the Slingshot ??

·
Registered
541 Posts
There's alot of members on this forum that will be doing mods to the SS. The changes that members will do motor wise will be well engineered. They'll be thought out and any thing that needs to be addressed will. Safety will always be factored in the process.
I plan on at least boosting the motor hp to 275/300 hp.
It will be a proven system.
It will be a blast to drive, it will be treated with respect.
The smile on my face will make me look like the Joker from the Batman movie.
I'll be enjoying life. Why not.
Age wise I'm approaching 60.
:):troll::wideyed:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Adult diaper time again. Couldn't get to the closet in time!
4NINES you just reminded me need to call wife at work. Need more changes. Computer won't let me leave.
Note to self have wife empty laundry basket next to computer. :yuck:
Dogs even complaining so what if his eyes are running. Dam now he's
putting a close pin on his nose.
Come on Polaris my dogs begging me he say's it's time to release the beast.
I mean the Slingshot.:arghh::arghh:;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts