Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a thread on Polaris General Discussion, "New Owners Slingshot Information", and other How-to Video on Polaris Slingshot Photo/Video of all Thread subject titles. I feel my threads should appear on a Technical Page of our website. So, I am going to use this thread to link my threads for the folks that are looking for Slingshot information with video support. My goal as an owner of two Slingshots is to help my fellow Slingshot owners with my experience. I had 5 years enjoying the Slingshot. I cover many subjects for the Slingshot from Trailers, travel, group rides, mod installation, maintenance, and product reviews. I say "had" as I have sold my Slingshot but my video still have the same message as if I were active. I still want to use my experience to help new owners gain information quickly to fully enjoy their Slingshot.
I will be linking all my post to this New Thread page for others to reach.
I will create an Table of content here to help direct to my other threads on this website.

Table of content

1. New Owners Slingshot Information
  2. My many post of video help for Slingshot subjects
  3. Battery Health for the Slingshot
  4. Aux Turn Signal Wiring Diagram
  5. Understanding the Hood Latches
  6. Hood Latching System Adjustment Video Playlist
  7. Front Hood Hinge Alignment Procedure
  8. How Cold Air System Mod can cause hood closing problems
  9. Slingshot Backup Camera on for Driving
  10. Ipad and GoPro mounted for the Slingshot
  11. Slingshot U-Joint Lube Procedure
  12. Fin Brake Light Removal Procedure
  13. Do your own Oil Change without raising Slingshot
  14. Drive Belt Performance Test
  15. Jump Starting the Polaris Slingshot
  16. Helmet Intercom System Option
  17. Front Spoiler Adjustment Procedure
  18. Cup Holder Insulation Procedure
  19. How to Loosen the Drive Belt tension
  20. Trailer Your Slingshot Information
  21. Performance Exhaust Header Installation Procedure
  22. Grease Gun Mod for U-Joint
  23. How to Re-Pin Headlight Connectors
New Owners Slingshot Information
Table of Content Links

1. Slingshot Owner Manual
  2. 2020 Model Features
  3. 2020 Slingshot Specs
  4. Samowens44 Complete Slingshot Video Playlist Library
  5. 2015-2019 Slingshot Models General Specs
  6. Important Slingshot Safety Features Explained
  7. Polaris Slingshot Website for help
  8. Slingshot runs out of Gas
  9. Fueling and Gas Cap security
  10. Samowens44 Complete List of Post
  11. Slingshot Driving Lessons
  12. Recall Lookup for Slingshots by Vin and Recall Number
  13. Drive Belt Alignment and Tension
  14. Parking and Wheel Rim Protection
  15. Ride Command Help
  16. Slingshot and wet roads precautions
  17. Polaris Slingshot Options for New Owners
  18. Mode Button Explained
  19. Optima Battery Tray Installation Procedure
  20. Passenger Compartment Heat Solutions
  21. Entertainment System and Cell Phone Connection
  22. Slingshot Hood Latching System
  23. Slingshot hood opening while driving
  24. Floorboard Heat Test Ride
  25. Floorboard Temperature readings for test ride
  26. Troubleshooting Third Brake Light
  27. Link to Samowens44 Post on Photo/Video Thread
  28. USB Port for Music
  29. How to test Fuses on Slingshot
  30. Turn Signal Aux LED Installation Info
  31. Auxiliary Fuse Box Installation Procedure
  32. Slingshot Cover Installation Procedure
  33. Raise Wheels for Rim and Wheel cleaning
  34. Motorcycle Jack Use for Slingshot
  35. Turn Signal Monitor for turn signals not canceled
  36. Drive Belt System View
  37. Learn how to adjust Front Spoiler
  38. Sip n Ride Cup Holder System for Drinks
  39. How to check motor oil level
  40. Turn Signal Flasher Module
  41. How to remove lower deck panel
  42. Message to Forums Guest
  43. Turn Signal Auto Cancel Feature on 2020 Slingshot
  44. Hood Removal and Installation Procedure
  45. Build a Dash Cam Mounting for Slingshot
  46. Slingshot in The Smokies Event 2017
  47. Sip n Ride Silicone Tube Drinking System
  48. Slingshot Backup Camera on for Driving
  49. Angle Drive Maintenance Schedule and procedure
  50. How to access the Battery on Slingshot
  51. Riding Limits up Blood Mountain Georgia
  52. View from underneath the Slingshot
  53. Driver Side Front Suspension View while riding
  54. Passenger Floorboard Heat Issues Solutions Playlist
  55. Northeast Georgia Mountains Ride Video

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I will now start posting helpful information that may come in handy for new owners as they progress through the fun stages and desires to add Mods to their Slingshot. In some project mods, a relay may be something that will do the job. One big reason is if you need to change the polarity that a circuit needs to operate. For instance you want to apply Pos or Neg to a circuit. A relay is the perfect choice. It also can be used to drive higher current devices. Now we are just planting a seed, you will need to research and try to study Ohms law basics to get a little base knowledge of electricity, DC for the Slingshot, A/C is house current and can be deadly to deal with. DC is safe basically. Working around the battery leads and starter is where you can be in danger with DC. The fuse box holds most of the fuses for the basic circuits in the Slingshot. The fuse is a protector to keep from burning up the vehicle in case of a grounded pos terminal. The Fuse is rated and designed for the circuit current for it's application. Headlights, Power steering, Ignition and so on. My basic example of a relay will help you understand how it works. You should get a basic Volt Ohm meter for you tools, and a test light with LED would be good. These tools will be great aids to test circuits for voltage applications or not. A relay can be heard when it operates, so listening is a tool for trouble shooting. The Test Light and meter can be visual aids if a circuit has voltage or not. For now study the diagram and be familiar with relay operation and what it can do. Good luck and your teacher is always available for questions. If you are not a member, I suggest you join now and then you can participate.
Basic Circuit Operation Explained.jpg

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is some information that a Slingshot Owner should know and keep track of for the Battery Health of your Slingshot. The information I provide is from the 2015 Slingshot Owners Manual. I suggest strongly that you read your model and year Owners manual as part of your basic knowledge base. There are a number of reasons you do not want to be out on a day trip and end up with a dead battery. I will let you ponder how you would get going again. Not to leave you stranded, I do have subjects covered about under the hood Jump Ports Mods that will give access to Jump starting with jumper cables. I will leave it there for now.
You can monitor your battery heath with many different devices. There is the volt ohm meter or a plug in power port voltage monitor. Look at the chart below and the readings you get each time you start up will tell how your battery is doing. You will know well in advance when you have battery issues and action needs to be taken. For now, just start monitoring. Remember, in the morning before you start the Slingshot, the battery voltage for a fully charged excellent battery voltage is 12.8 If it reads 12.1, If you battery is 3 years or more, new battery is the choice solution. 1 year old, need to check if there is current drain from a circuit in the Systems of the Slingshot. Yes I can help you isolate that problem also. Good luck, the battery is a keep part of your fun package of the Slingshot, keep it healthy.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the folks that want to hook up their own LED's for a Slingshot Lighting display, here is what you need to know. LED's are light emitting diodes. A diode is a device that allows current to flow only in one direction. If you connect it up with wrong polarity it will not light up. So, here is a diagram that may help to show this. Good luck on your project and knowledge is a tool and try to fill your tool box with a lot to use on your Slingshot. I am here to help provide that knowledge.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I posted an article about the Aux Turn Signal Monitor LED's on my other thread page. You can connect your Aux LED lights for Turn Signals to the Turn Signal Lead at the Light locations at the front of Slingshot. Here is a diagram to show a full hook up with necessary 2 watt 100 ohm resister installed. If you hook Led's up without the resistor, you can have the turn signal to blink only one time and shut off. If that does not happen, you can have problems with the emergency flashers not flashing. The resistors will ensure that all will work properly. Now this information is for your knowledge tool box, you may not need it now, but it will be nice to have if you want to do a mod with Aux turn signal led's.
As you study the diagram, on I did change the location of the right turn signal aux monitor LED to the Drivers side to have both monitors in the view of drivers vision. This will keep you from driving with the turn signals still activated.

Link to Video Post on my other Thread

Here are some photos to show the 2 watt 100 ohm resistor. I discovered the problem outlined after my initial installation and hat to go back and add the resistor. Now that you know, you can add the resistor as part of your installation. Good luck.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To the new owners of your first Slingshot. Opening and closing the hood is something you will find as a problem sometimes. All owners share the same frustration of difficulty sometimes. There are 4 hood latches, two at the rear near fire wall and two up front. The rear latches have most all the problems with latching and unlatching. First off, the rear latches can not be adjusted only the front latches have adjustments. I have a video on how to adjust the front latches, it is a part of hood alignment. Some of your latching difficulties can be from the front latches needing alignment for the rear latches to align with the striker properly. This can be checked by slowing lowering the hood by holding the back edge of the hood and observing the striker alignment with the V of the rear Latch. If it is off from striking straight on, then you need to adjust the front latches for proper alignment.

First I am going to give you a close up view of the Front Latch with all the elements identified. Understanding the latch and adjustments will help with helping solve your difficulty. Grease on the strikers will overcome bad alignment also.

Also you want to experiment with closing drops of the hood and finding what level works and use it each time.

For now, study the Front Latch and get to know it and observe some of the adjustment and problems that can happen at this point in the way of the little "S" hook on the cable end. This, is something I point out as a problem that can happen and you will not be able to open the hood if hook is cocked. I will continue this discussion with more information later.

Driver side Front Latch front cable to latch release, right cable rear latch.

study the photo and you will learn how the latch operates. The latch is in open condition. The yellow striker is dropping down to make contact with latch, as the striker continues down it will move the latch down to catch the detente behind the latch and the latch will be locked. Pushing the hood release will pull the latch detente away from the striker catch on both the front and rear latches, and release the latch for opening the hood. There are adjustments for the latch cables front and rear on the front latch. The two bolts that mount the latch are for making hood alignment and rear latch alignments. My video will show how to do this. Another post, study this for now.

Driver Side Front Latch in the Latched position.

Hope this will give you an understanding of the Slingshot Latch System. Using the two mounting bolts at the bottom there, you can adjust the way the rear striker hits in the V of the rear latch. My video I will post soon will show how this is adjusted. The whole hood will be moving when you make these adjustments , so before you attempt any adjustment, watch my video for the proper sequence.

View of Drivers side front latch from under the hood.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I am going to give you the Mother Load for Slingshot Hood Latching System information. If you have an issue with the closing, opening, releasing, latching or alignment. Some of my video may give the information that will help you. I have spent many hours on this subject and have documented it form every angle, under the hood and also in slow motion. Don't miss a single video, each will cover something different about the Hood Latch system.
Just one note that I don't think I covered as much and that is the hood alignment is also how you align the rear striker to the center of the V notch on the rear latch. If this alignment is off a lot, you are almost guaranteed closing and opening issues.
I am posting my Youtube Channel Playlist for the Hood Latching System video. There are 10 video, watch them all, then ask me a question if you still need an answer. The Extended Range Hood Hinge has a lot of info about the latching system and alignment, so watch it and see how the hinge works great for extending the hood opening.

Slingshot Hood Latching System Video

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I want to make it clear, you do not have to remove the hood to align the front latches. I do have a video on my Hood Latch System Playlist that shows alignment of the front latches with the hood removed. This video is part of the installation process of the Extended Range Hood Hinge. It is a two part video and you can see how to remove the hood if you need to.
I am placing the Front Hinge Alignment procedure with the hood in place here, this is the video that most will want to follow if alignment is needed for the front latches and alignment of the hood for the rear latches. I show the location of the hood mounting bolts. I show how to move the hood latch mounting bracket to obtain proper latch alignment for the rear latches and gap at back of hood and fender. You should watch the whole video and become familiar and understand what we are doing with the adjustment before beginning. The Hood Mounting bolts hold the hood hinge and hood in a set place. This set location determines the alignment of the rear striker hitting the V notch of the rear latch. You can adjust left or right latch back and forth to position the rear of the hood in just the right spot. This will also adjust the gap at the back of the hood and the fender. So, it will require a little trial and error to reach the final best alignment position of the hood.

Front Hood Hinge Alignment Procedure with hood in place

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have talked about the rear striker alignment with the rear latch in the previous post, now I will show how the alignment looks for the drivers side viewed from the drivers position. The hood is held about 6 in above the latch and give you a look at what we are talking about. Now, if you striker is not aligned straight down with the rear latch, you will need to adjust the Hood Mounting bracket to align the hood to reach the proper alignment for rear latch. Before attempting any adjustments, watch my videos fully and let me know if you have a problem understanding all this.
To summarize all this. If you are having a problem with hood closing or opening, The Hood alignment for the rear latches is a big key to how well the hood closes and opens. Opening problems can be cable adjustment some time. Cable adjustments determine if the latch will fully latch and release when hood release is pressed. If one cable is not adjusted properly, a latch may not release and you will have hood opening problems.
Cable adjustment is totally separate from hood alignment. The two adjustments do not affect the other.
If you want to understand the Slingshot hood latching system, you need to watch all 10 video fully. Each video holds a key to the system and the adjustment.

Driver side rear latch and striker alignment view.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more big thing that can cause hood latch problems is a Cold Air system Mod. The air box that collects cold fresh air at front of Slingshot motor sits up high and seals against the underneath part of hood. If the box is adjusted to high, it can create problems for the latches to fully latch. It can be a nightmare of a problem if you are unaware of how this mod can interfere with hood closing. Take a look at my installation video for my Cold Air Mod and make sure to see the ending as I mount my camera under the hood to show the sealing. If you have a cold air system with a latching problem, you want to look at this for sure.

Cold Air System Mod and Hood Latching Issues

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At some time, you may want to remove the hood from the Slingshot. I edited my video of Installing the Extended Range Hood Hinge on my 2017 Slingshot a while back. In that video was video of the removal of the hood and reinstalling it on the new hinge. I created a new video, Slingshot Hood Removal and Install Procedure. Watch my video and I think you will see there is not a lot to it, you can do it, but you need a helper to hold the hood and help take it to a storage location.

Hood Removal and Installation Procedure

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I have stated, I have two Main Threads of information. I have place them on two different Sections of the Forum.
I have them linked together so you can switch back and forth. I am posting a Table of Content Links from my other thread here to allow you to access a subject of interest. The other Page as a link back to this thread Page.
Good luck on finding information about the Slingshot.

Table of Content Links
  1. Slingshot Owner Manual
  2. 2020 Model Features
  3. 2020 Slingshot Specs
  4. Samowens44 Complete Slingshot Video Playlist Library
  5. 2015-2019 Slingshot Models General Specs
  6. Important Slingshot Safety Features Explained
  7. Polaris Slingshot Website for help
  8. Slingshot runs out of Gas
  9. Fueling and Gas Cap security
  10. Samowens44 Complete List of Post
  11. Slingshot Driving Lessons
  12. Recall Lookup for Slingshots by Vin and Recall Number
  13. Drive Belt Alignment and Tension
  14. Parking and Wheel Rim Protection
  15. Ride Command Help
  16. Slingshot and wet roads precautions
  17. Polaris Slingshot Options for New Owners
  18. Mode Button Explained
  19. Optima Battery Tray Installation Procedure
  20. Passenger Compartment Heat Solutions
  21. Entertainment System and Cell Phone Connection
  22. Slingshot Hood Latching System
  23. Slingshot hood opening while driving
  24. Floorboard Heat Test Ride
  25. Floorboard Temperature readings for test ride
  26. Troubleshooting Third Brake Light
  27. Link to Samowens44 Post on Photo/Video Thread
  28. USB Port for Music
  29. How to test Fuses on Slingshot
  30. Turn Signal Aux LED Installation Info
  31. Auxiliary Fuse Box Installation Procedure
  32. Slingshot Cover Installation Procedure
  33. Raise Wheels for Rim and Wheel cleaning
  34. Motorcycle Jack Use for Slingshot
  35. Turn Signal Monitor for turn signals not canceled
  36. Drive Belt System View
  37. Learn how to adjust Front Spoiler
  38. Sip n Ride Cup Holder System for Drinks
  39. How to check motor oil level
  40. Turn Signal Flasher Module
  41. How to remove lower deck panel
  42. Message to Forums Guest
  43. Turn Signal Auto Cancel Feature on 2020 Slingshot
  44. Hood Removal and Installation Procedure
  45. Build a Dash Cam Mounting for Slingshot
  46. Slingshot in The Smokies Event 2017

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Welcome if first time to this thread, I am going to cover a subject that may enter your thoughts soon after owning a Slingshot. Making the Backup Camera turn on to view while driving, giving a good view of blind spots. Lane changes can be a challenge to be confident the space is free to make a change.
New Owners at some time or another will look at the rear view Camera when backing up and say" I sure would like to be able to drive with the Camera and see what is directly behind for changing lanes and such". A lot of folks think, just install a switch and connect to the reverse switch on the right side of the Transmission and operate turning the camera on. Well, I am one that thought of that and took the next step to install such a switch. I was so happy to see the camera turn on and display the view when in a drive gear. I wanted to try it out, drove out of the garage to the street and found I could only drive 10 MPH with the engine stuttering as you tried to go faster. This is the same condition you experience when you try to back up too fast. This is a normal function that Polaris installed to key you safe as you back up.

I was so disappointed. I wanted to find a way to disable the speed limiter and be able to drive with the Rear View cam on, I found out that when I pushed in the clutch, it turned off the stutter Limiter function and still have the camera on. I installed a relay that turned on from the switch and the contacts would put a ground on the Clutch Lead, indicating the clutch was depressed. Took a test drive and all worked great. Except for one thing, after about 10 sec of driving at highway speed, the Check Engine Light comes on. That is because the ECM is seeing that there is a problem of a ground on the clutch lead and lets you know with a Check Engine Code. The problems don't end there. I just said, well, I know what the check light is, I will just ignore it and drive with the rear view cam on. Worked great for a while, then after turning the switch on and off a number of times, the ECM saw that there was a problem with me driving in reverse and the clutch depressed, so it cuts the power to the engine and you coast to a stop with the engine in idle. I had to turn the engine off and restart it to get the engine to run correctly. This would be dangerous if you are in heavy traffic as you will be without power.
I did find on further investigation, I could use my Driving Backup Camera if I turned the function on for brief period, before the Engine Check light comes on. I was able to see the Backup Cam view to see if it was clear behind me for lane change. I say brief time on, less than 5 sec. I found that is the period at which the Engine Check Light will come on. The engine shut down does not happen right away, it may take 10, 15 or 30 min, but it will shut down. Happened a number of time with me. I did not test this feature on 4 lane hwys, only on back roads with a shoulder.
I am trying to save the folks that want to experiment on their own to hook the Backup Cam for Driving.
I have saved you a whole lot of time and effort. Use the knowledge for better projects and just get a standard Backup Camera kit and installed, it will be a lot safer.
Please refer them to this post if you find someone interested in hooking up the Backup Cam for Driving function.
Now for the folks that want to see how I hooked my Backup Cam for Driving, I am posting my wiring diagram. Use it at your own risk as a very unsafe condition for the Slingshot. I hooked this up on my 2017 SL LE model.
I will be attaching some videos to help understand.

For the folks that want to know where the Clutch Switch plug is for making a connection, here are a photo that will show you. I am not suggesting you do it, this is just information.

Now this video will demonstrate a test ride with the Engine Shut down as it happens.

Driving with Stock Backup Cam on is Unsafe

This video shows an Aux Backup Camera System mounted in my first Slingshot. This is a better way of driving with a Backup Camera to view behind your blind spots.

Aux Backup Camera system installed

I will post another video where I am experimenting with additional functions for the Backup Camera, like parking near curbs. This is just to show me working with an idea.

Research for Driving Backup Camera

A bit of advice from me. Buy an Aux Backup Camera system and install on your Slingshot, the only safe way. All of my information is to show what it takes to wire up the factory Backup Cam for Driving and how unsafe conditions will result and could lead to accident.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While we are on the subject of Camera, I came up with another mod that may interest some folks. I use my Ipad and GoPro camer together for driving views. It does not work as a driving Backup Camera, because the GoPro does no show a reversed view as a true Backup Camera does. It is very confusing to see the view of the GoPro as it will not work correctly to use effectively. As a matter of fact,it would be unsafe view. Now this mod could work well to capture GoPro video of your forward view. You could turn on recording when you wanted or turn it off when wanted. It would give you a view of what the GoPro is capturing. Anyway, I did use it for that for a while and worked well for me. This is more information for your "Knowledge Toolbox". Let's fill it up!! Let me say at this point, on the First page of this thread I have a complete index to all the subjects as a link to click on and not have to read through the whole thread to find something. Please all use my index, I have it for both my main Threads. I am going to make finding what you want easy.
Now take a look at the video showing and demonstrating my idea for my mod of the Ipad and GoPro to work together in the Slingshot.

Ipad and GoPro Installation in Slingshot

Ipad mounting Instruction over Entertainment System

As a new Owner, I will give you research information to help you hit the ground a running. You will be able to review and have the knowledge to tackle the projects that interest you. Use my information as a guide to direct your confidence and the base thinking for subjects. As can be seen with most of my projects, I am a "MacGyver" thinking kind of guy. I have a need, I use what I have to create it. Now, you use your processes to polish my ideas and make them a work of art. We will both be happy in our own ways. Good Luck on your projects and enjoy your Slingshot.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a subject that deserves attention. Some model slingshots have a Grease Zerk on the U-Joint that goes into the Angle Drive. To keep the U-Joint from wearing out, a couple of squirts of grease would be great every other oil change. That would be 12,000 miles. Every oil change would be great. It is not hard to do if you have all the information. Well, I have the information all in a video, of course. Take a look and check you Slingshot to see if you have a Zerk on your U-Joint. You can gain access through the rear Cup Holder, so no big problem. You will need to roll the Slingshot to turn the drive shaft to view for a zerk. Just watch the video!!

Slingshot U-Joint Lube Procedure

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Third Brake Light is located down the top of the rear Fin. It only comes on during braking. I was told by a rider behind me that my Third Brake Light was not coming on. My Slingshot was only about 3 months old and is under warranty, so why worry. Well time is my worry. If I drive 50 miles to the dealer and they find the problem is something has to be ordered, I am in a pickle for a return trip. This video was created to help isolate this problem to help save time and get you back on the road with the Third Brake Light working while the real trouble part is ordered. I have heard other reports of this problem, and it can go unnoticed, who goes back and look at their own tail lights with the brakes applied. Well you should do it, get someone to apply the brakes and check your tail lights fully for all working. Your safety is at stake and you may not have someone to tell you they are out. Some folks go the extra step to install an after market Third Brake Light Modulator to flash during braking. This will help with that process also. Now once the you follow this test and find your Third Light does not illuminate, you will know how to isolate the problem and notify the dealer of what part you suspect to be bad. In my case it was the FM Radio Antenna Module that was bad and I was able to drive safely until the part was available. I told the dealer what I did to isolate the problem and they were good with it and ordered the FM Antenna Module ahead of time.

How to Access the Third Brake Light Wiring

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As you own your Slingshot for a while, you think about doing some of the basic maintenance yourself. Oil and Filer is one of the most popular regular item that is considered most. The owner finds that sometime the dealer may be 40 miles or more away and you have to schedule the time. Most time you can not wait as the dealer does not just work on your Slingshot alone. Anyway, doing an oil change yourself is a good option. Most new owners will not know how to begin or what is needed to accomplish it. Well, I created a video to show the entire Oil and Filer Change process. I am going to post the link below. First I want give you a video of how to access the Oil Drain Plug from above and not have to crawl under the Slingshot. If you are interested in doing your own Oil Change, try to use the technique I show to re-install the Oil Drain Plug after the oil is drained. If you can use you hand and fingers to see what it will be like to work in a tight area. If you hands and fingers are too large, this may not be an option. So try a dry run with tools to take off Drain Plug without taking it out. This will ensure you have the confidence that you can do it. Good Luck, I think you will enjoy performing your own maintenance and it will lead to the confidence to try other needs on your Slingshot.
I will do my best to help guide you with my Post and Video

Oil Drain Plug Removal from Above

Polaris Slingshot Oil Change Do It Yourself

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I go through my video from the past, I found one that may be of interest to any Slingshot Owner, just to see what happens at the Drive System as is pushing you down the road with 175 HP. This video was created a while back as someone posted a video of their Drive Belt on the rear pulley, moving from left to right as he accelerated. I wanted to see what mine was doing under the same conditions. I captured mine with this video for all to see how a properly adjusted drive belt, alignment and tension leads to great Drive Belt Performance. I have many video on Drive Belt adjustment procedure and also just an explanation of the Drive Belt system.
This will show what your belt should be doing while you drive down the road. It should not move from that close point close to the left edge of the rear Pulley. It should not touch the left edge thought. 1/16 would be great.
Try to capture your Drive Belt Performance. If you find something different than mine, let us know and have the video ready to post. That is a Magic Arm I am using to hold my GoPro. I suggest one if you are going to capture video. Just google and get one with the Clamp. There are a lot of cheaper cameras than the GoPro.

Drive Belt Performance Test

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now for something you should plan on. Dead Battery! A Slingshot owners has a unique vehicle that most people don't even know what it is. You have to plan on handling normal problems that car owners have and get help with no problem. A car with dead battery, just raise hood, stand out and someone with jumper cables will come to your rescue. Max 45 min or less and you are back on the road. Now think about you leaving all those halo lights and every other electrical mod you have parked on a parking lot. It does not take long with the stock slingshot battery to bring it down to a no start condition. Now, listen up, you do not want this problem as it may lead to a tow truck expense and not to say the damage the tow driver will do getting it up and on his tow truck. Why not install a Under the Hood Jump Port. Well watch the video and you will learn all about it. I am also going to post video showing how to use the Jump Port.
There is another alternative, buy one of the small Power Supply sources that you can carry with you in storage area. I like the Jump port so I will let you investigate the other method. I have had to use the Jump Port I installed and it was so easy and quick to get going again.

Under Hood Jump Port Installation Procedure

Slingshot Jump Start Procedure with Jump Port

1 - 20 of 29 Posts