Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the look of it, I want it, I plan on getting it, but this came to my mind. It has no doors, just a steel frame. If somebody were to hit you, (being drunk or texting or whatever), if they T-Bones you, rear ended you..Would the frame hold up or would the people inside be crushed?

The front looks like it can take some hit. So I'm not to curious to that.

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's a motorcycle. But, I'm willing to bet it's the safest one available. Can anyone else think of another motorcycle that would be as safe as the Slingshot in the unfortunate and hopefully unlikely event of a collision? I, for one, would much rather be in a 1,700-pound Slingshot with its 8-foot-long hood than on any 2-wheeler that requires a kickstand to keep from falling!

And as for the T-bone senerio, the Slingshot has that steel reinforced frame to take the pounding. On a motorcycle, it would be my unprotected leg! Ouch!

Compared to a full-blown modern automobile, the Slingshot is not nearly as safe. But in the world of motorsports and motorcycles, it's about as safe as you're gonna get.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
If your looking for safety then motorcycles probably are not going to rank very high on your list. I have been over 150000 miles on two wheels in the last 24 years. I have had some close calls with cars. It was the cars that were always the issue. But if your head is on swivel and your playing offence and defence you can usually come out of it the winner each time.

I have been down a couple times. BOTH times I went down I was being filmed. Cameras will make u do things you normally wouldn't do. You will push yourself past your normal comfort level every time.

I think that believing the bars on the side would help you in a crash would probably get you to relax some of your guard. And I wouldn't think that would be a good thing. In my opinion I would treat the SS just like I was riding a motorcycle and be prepared for anything. If you get into an accident and the bars on the side do seem to help then you can always be thankful while you watch them drag it away on a wrecker that they were there to protect you.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I love the look of it, I want it, I plan on getting it, but this came to my mind. It has no doors, just a steel frame. If somebody were to hit you, (being drunk or texting or whatever), if they T-Bones you, rear ended you..Would the frame hold up or would the people inside be crushed?

A motorcycle you cant dump and slide off of .
It's a death trap .Expect to be run over rather than t-boned or read ended .If you are not crushed to death inside the frame you will lose your legs . It's not safe at any speed. That being said Im not buying it because I think its a volvo .

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
This question comes up a lot and always will with the SS. Agree with everyone else that posted. Its a motorcycle and I would hope states will not relax any requirements for operation. Getting a motorcycle endorsement at a minimum gives the operator at least some additional training necessary for safe operation. It also puts buyers on notice that its not a car and cannot be driven the way a majority of people on the roads drive today - with a cell phone in one hand and the other on the wheel.

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
This topic has been discussed before in some other threads! It goes back to the attitude of people buying the SS as a new CAGE (car) verses a new Motorcycle.

If the new rider is not a motorcyclists with prior experience and the paranoid attitude of a motorcycle rider, then they are likely to be exposed to new challenges they are unfamiliar with. And they may be more apt to be involved in accidents with Cages (Cars).

Experienced motorcyclists have developed an ability to forecast and prepare for the unexpected and the oblivious cage drivers. The motorcylists that do not develop those skills don't last very long on a motorcycle and usually have accidents and quit riding.

I think the motorcyclist attitude is necessary to be a safe SS driver! So for those new Cage drivers just getting their new motorcycle license to ride the SS............they may be a risk!

I agree with most of the other posts on this topic and feel the SS is much safer than all other 2 wheeled motorcycles and will prove to be somewhat safe in an accident due to it's light weight and externalframe. But is a serious accident with a Cage of any type it will suffer more than the Cage.

So the best defense is to be aware and be careful and not get into accidents!

Be a parinoid motorcyclist and assume everyone got out of bed that morning and got into their Cage with the plan to kill you!

Just my thoughts.... be careful out there!

Reactions: Queen B

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Have to agree, when riding, I've found myself to be aware of not only what traffic is doing ahead of me (several cars, not just one) but in back of me and even what the drivers are doing in the vehicles around me. Getting a sense of are they aware that I am even there and most times can predict what they are going to do and where my quick exits are. It's like playing chess constantly so I know what moves I have available at any instant.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Reactions: SlingJockey

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I have the utmost confidence in the safety qualities of a Slingshot. Polaris demonstrated the many safety features on the SS you can't find on a bike, and that satisfies my concerns greatly for any kind of rider; it just has more protection points than most any two-wheeled bike.

Reactions: MrWinn

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
I agree with Kip and think the SS is probably by far the safest motorcycle on the road!

Oblivious Cage Drivers and crazy motorcycle riders........ are a different story!

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
A motorcycle you cant dump and slide off of .
It's a death trap .Expect to be run over rather than t-boned or read ended .If you are not crushed to death inside the frame you will lose your legs . It's not safe at any speed.
SF has my thoughts pretty well captured. In some ways the SS is better than a bike, in some ways not. Either way, you'll have to come to terms with accepting the risk of every horrible possibility you listed in your question. If a truck drifts into your oncoming lane and finds himself over the top of your SS, you're probably going to be eating a Chevy emblem sandwich. If that happens you'll probably die. Not to sound grim, but those are the same realities we all come to terms with when riding or doing anything inherently "unsafe." I'll be driving my Slingshot (If I ever get it) and riding my bike until it kills me. There are worse ways to go.

·
Registered
686 Posts
And as for the T-bone senerio, the Slingshot has that steel reinforced frame to take the pounding. On a motorcycle, it would be my unprotected leg! Ouch!
Seems to me that on the SS the car slides over the frame and you get hit right in the head.

Also on a bike you're high enough that in many cases impact with a car will throw you clear and you have at least a chance of not getting run over, whereas you're belted into the SS and have to take your lumps.

So I don't think the SS is as safe as some are saying, but I'd still take it over a bike because it doesn't fall over, it's much bigger and more visible, is certainly better in a frontal impact situation, and has better evasive capabilities in a panic situation.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm very hopeful that someone designs an aftermarket full/extra strong reinforced role cage. Not some bent tube steel that will crumple like a pop can, but instead heavy duty materials like they use on race cars. It might be expensive, but it would be worth it in my eyes.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Also on a bike you're high enough that in many cases impact with a car will throw you clear and you have at least a chance of not getting run over, whereas you're belted into the SS and have to take your lumps.
The SS has roll hoops that support three times the weight of the vehicle and the spaceframe wraps the entire SS and comes up into the steering column and dash giving even the tallest riders some very acceptable clearance in the unlikely event of a rollover.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Turbow,
Question for you, do you currently ride a motorcycle? The Slingshot is not a car, therefore it does not have all of the built in safety equipment that cars do. I would say that as a motorcycle rider I always assume that someone who is not riding a motorcycle is someone who could possibly hit me. We must always ride defensively on two or three wheels that is our best defense. Just my .02 worth.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts