Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am curious how many of us will get pulled over because the cops cannot see our seatbelts since they run the opposite direction

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
If the cop is smart and up to regulations, he will realize that you don't need to be wearing a seat belt in a motorcycle... ;)

But, I am sure there are going to be a few cops that pull you over for this. Just like car pool lane questions. Usually they are just nosy and want to see what it is and if you stole it! :eek:

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have already seen posts about potential owners getting a motorcycle license just so they can drive an SS. So some car drivers are already looking at the SS as a new sports car! Those are the ones that I see as being a safety issue! The various state laws are not going to be up to date on something like an SS and people will stretch and misuse the gap in the laws to do unsafe things.
Not entirely true. Some of us obtained our motorcycle endorsement after riding in the "gray area" for years. :p

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I still have some issues with the folks that have not been "Motorcycle" riders for years getting a new license just for the Slingshot. This is not a training issue, it is a mental attitude concern!

Most motorcycle riders understand that many the Cage drivers get in their cars everyday intent in killing all the motorcycle riders, with that paranoid attitude you can survive as a motorcyclist!

·
Super Moderator
5,848 Posts
Good thing it should be more visible than a 2 wheeler! I do believe that all motorcycle riders started off without experience...learned the mental attitude they experience...

·
Vendor
5,431 Posts
I still have some issues with the folks that have not been "Motorcycle" riders for years getting a new license just for the Slingshot. This is not a training issue, it is a mental attitude concern!

Most motorcycle riders understand that many the Cage drivers get in their cars everyday intent in killing all the motorcycle riders, with that paranoid attitude you can survive as a motorcyclist!
No sense in "having issues" with what other people decide for themselves. I'm sure you could always find someone who has an issue with just about anything anyone decides to do......ever.

I've been riding all my life and I highly doubt anyone would have their deposit returned based on my opinion of what they should do. Nor should they. We're all adults and if we want to risk serious physical injury or death in the name of fun and fulfilment, then that's just dandy.....'Merica.:finger:

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't need a motorcycle endorsement. California doesn't require it. I plan on getting
my motorcycle endorsement because I want
to be a safer SS driver. Plus I'll get a discount on my insurance. But as I said I'm taking the class to be a safer driver.
I've owned both street and dirt bikes.
No longer because I was hit head-on. This happened on the hiway. Was I at fault NO.
The other driver was in my lane. On top of that it was a semi truck. Only reason I'm still around is because of the helmet I was wearing. And the good Lord watching over me Safety is my number 1 concern.
So you see I'm not buying the SS thinking it's a sports car. I'm buying it to have fun and enjoy life with my wife. She's been through alot.You only have one life so live it.
She's also looking forward to driving it. She's driven a stick shift for many a year.:):D
So enjoy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't need a motorcycle endorsement. California doesn't require it. I plan on getting
my motorcycle endorsement because I want
to be a safer SS driver. Plus I'll get a discount on my insurance. But as I said I'm taking the class to be a safer driver.
I've owned both street and dirt bikes.
No longer because I was hit head-on. This happened on the hiway. Was I at fault NO.
The other driver was in my lane. On top of that it was a semi truck. Only reason I'm still around is because of the helmet I was wearing. And the good Lord watching over me Safety is my number 1 concern.
So you see I'm not buying the SS thinking it's a sports car. I'm buying it to have fun and enjoy life with my wife. She's been through alot.You only have one life so live it.
She's also looking forward to driving it. She's driven a stick shift for many a year.:):D
So enjoy.
I have never owned a bike but I have rode friends bikes in my younger days. After watching friends and people I knew getting hit or killed I lost any interest in owning a two wheeled bike. My point is I feel this machine will fill the bill and after studying the DMV book on driving a motorcycle I realized that all the safe driving points are the exact way I already drive my cars. I never have trusted other drivers. I feel as a very defensive driver not owning a two wheeled bike does not make me a danger too anyone in my opinion.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I haven't ridden a bike in over 30 years. My friends kept getting killed and they rode more sanely than I did so I walked away. Somehow the state dropped my motorcycle endorsement at some point so I had to take the written exam. Studying the book before the exam I was pleased to see that much of what was in it were things I taught my students in drivers schools. For a number of years I put on schools for the SCCA, NCCC, and instructed for the PCA so I hope my awareness is slightly better than most non-riders. My fear is that the SS is simply too low to be seen by other drivers. One of the things that attracted me to the SS was feeling like it was about as close to Formula Car as you can buy for the street other than the pricey Atom. I don't even like to do warm up or or test sessions in a formula car on the track with street based cars piloted by seasoned racers because they just can't, or don't see them. I'm really hoping riding the SS will be different.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The SS is not a super low vehicles so I wouldn't worry about height visibility as many cars are shorter such as a corvette, miata, etc. I would rather look at it this way. The SS is only 2.6" shorter then a mustang. I actually wished the SS was lower then it is and was along the lines of the rex, vw concept, or morgan. The SS is already the giant in the group and I have a feeling that will perpetuate if more competitors arise and that is my second biggest complaint about it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
A Miata MX-5 is at least 3" shorter and 10" narrower than an SS overall. I have not seen tons of them getting run over by other vehicles and they are by far the most common roadster in these parts. I see tons of them out on the roads when riding the MC.

·
Registered
396 Posts
A Miata MX-5 is at least 3" shorter and 10" narrower than an SS overall. I have not seen tons of them getting run over by other vehicles and they are by far the most common roadster in these parts. I see tons of them out on the roads when riding the MC.
That's a very good point. Oddly enough in 99 I had a young lady that told the state trooper that she always drove 10 to 15 mph over the limit reared my Miata while I was stopped at a light. She was going roughly 60 when she hit me and for some reason my trunk folded under and she went under me until my tires bounced off of her hood. It was a heck of a ride. I replaced the mx5 with a Honda S2000 and this is where I'll get back on topic. I had a mental picture of the Slingshot being smaller than it is. Compared to the S2000 the SS is 1.3" taller, 8.7" wider, 12.6" shorter, with a wheelbase that's 10.5" longer.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts