Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that a lot of SS rider/drivers may react to the SS more as a car than a motorcycle and most other drivers on the road will probably react to the SS as a car.

I expect you will see people not wearing helmets and typical motorcycle gear. They may also not utilize the seat belts and other safety equipment and practices!

Safety conscious drivers will still wear helmets and use the seat belts, but the injury risk in a SS will definitely be high in a crash with a regular car, SUV or truck. Maybe not any more than a typical motorcycle but there definitely will be similar risks.

I feel the SS will be somewhat safer in general terms compared to a regular 2 wheel motorcycle, there will not be any issues with tipping over or common upsets that sometimes happen to 2 wheeled vehicles. A little gravel, oil on the road and similar issues that can be a problem for 2 wheels and will be much better in a 3 wheeler.

So in some ways in everyday issues the SS will be safer and it does offer some external protection in a minor crash, but in a major crash it will suffer.

Just like any other motorcycle, the driver and the attitude towards safety will be the driving factor in the safety of the vehicle. I think most motorcyclist moving to a SS will not have many issues, my fear is more the new drivers approaching the SS as a new sports car without the experience of motorcycling.

I have already seen posts about potential owners getting a motorcycle license just so they can drive an SS. So some car drivers are already looking at the SS as a new sports car! Those are the ones that I see as being a safety issue! The various state laws are not going to be up to date on something like an SS and people will stretch and misuse the gap in the laws to do unsafe things.

Simple things like can one buy insurance and own a SS without a motorcycle license? Will the dealer require you to show a motorcycle license to pick one up? If the law does not require a seat belt to be used on a motorcycle (most states don't) could you be ticketed for not using you seat Belt in a SS? Are the police going to stop a SS driver for not wearing a helmet? There are a lot of safety issues in play here and the drivers are the ones that will be in control of their own safety!

The driver will ultimately be the one to bear the risk of the Slingshot!

Good careful drivers with a years of motorcycle experience probably will not have many issues, the new car drivers with little or no motorcycle experience may have some problems!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I will wear a helmet and the belt, this may be like a car in the sense that you sit in not on. But there is alot of open area between you and all other drivers out there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I agree with Charles. These are a new platform. Polaris can only build in so many safety features into the SS, which they have done an excellent job of. Just from the videos out there, there is no denying that the SS is a very spirited ride. Everyone needs to take care when they first get there hands on the SS. People are going to be tempted to hammer the throttle there very first ride. Just be careful and take the time to get to know the SS and how it handles. We don't want the law makers stepping in and passing any harsh regulations on us. We need to police our own ranks. So please folks take your time and stay safe.
Thanks my fellow riders.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
No helmet law in WI so I will not be wearing one in my SS. I will wear the seat belt because that is just another reason to get pulled over and questioned. Not worth the hassle and I do believe using a seat belt in this will make it a safer experience for the passengers.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I plan on wearing a helmet when I ride. However I may switch from a fullface to something smaller. Will definitely wear the seatbelt. Been doing it for so long it would feel wrong just not to.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm one of those non-motorcycle-riding newbies. I'll always wear a helmet and seat belt. I've always been a defensive driver -- watching out for the other guys, especially in the cellphone era. 40 years behind the wheel without so much as a fender bender. I hope my lack of 2-wheeler time doesn't make me less safe driving a Slingshot... that correlation is not 100% clear to me.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I hope my lack of 2-wheeler time doesn't make me less safe driving a Slingshot... that correlation is not 100% clear to me.
There will be no correlation heffa, nothing to worry about.:)
Keep driving as wisely as you obviously already do to have a maintained a perfect 40 year track record.

Keep your lights on at all times to lower the risk of someone not paying attention and pulling out in front of you. Never hang out in a drivers blind spot (like I see way too many bikes do) and you will be just fine. Your in a much larger vehicle with excellent front lighting unlike a motorcycle. You will have no potential traction or balance problems to contend with so your risk isn't comparable at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think that a lot of SS rider/drivers may react to the SS more as a car than a motorcycle and most other drivers on the road will probably react to the SS as a car.

I expect you will see people not wearing helmets and typical motorcycle gear. They may also not utilize the seat belts and other safety equipment and practices!

Safety conscious drivers will still wear helmets and use the seat belts, but the injury risk in a SS will definitely be high in a crash with a regular car, SUV or truck. Maybe not any more than a typical motorcycle but there definitely will be similar risks.

I feel the SS will be somewhat safer in general terms compared to a regular 2 wheel motorcycle, there will not be any issues with tipping over or common upsets that sometimes happen to 2 wheeled vehicles. A little gravel, oil on the road and similar issues that can be a problem for 2 wheels and will be much better in a 3 wheeler.

So in some ways in everyday issues the SS will be safer and it does offer some external protection in a minor crash, but in a major crash it will suffer.

Just like any other motorcycle, the driver and the attitude towards safety will be the driving factor in the safety of the vehicle. I think most motorcyclist moving to a SS will not have many issues, my fear is more the new drivers approaching the SS as a new sports car without the experience of motorcycling.

I have already seen posts about potential owners getting a motorcycle license just so they can drive an SS. So some car drivers are already looking at the SS as a new sports car! Those are the ones that I see as being a safety issue! The various state laws are not going to be up to date on something like an SS and people will stretch and misuse the gap in the laws to do unsafe things.

Simple things like can one buy insurance and own a SS without a motorcycle license? Will the dealer require you to show a motorcycle license to pick one up? If the law does not require a seat belt to be used on a motorcycle (most states don't) could you be ticketed for not using you seat Belt in a SS? Are the police going to stop a SS driver for not wearing a helmet? There are a lot of safety issues in play here and the drivers are the ones that will be in control of their own safety!

Good careful drivers with a years of motorcycle experience probably will not have many issues, the new car drivers with little or no motorcycle experience may have some problems!

I couldn't agree more

·
Registered
438 Posts
I will be one of the non-helmet wearing ones.
But seatbelts are not an option, they will be worn if you are in it and it is moving.
But i am older and skin is harder to grow back now, LOL

·
Vendor
2,226 Posts
I think harnesses would be in order if you're planning to rail canyons.. the videos shown so far from polaris show alot of sliding back and forth in the seat which is not fun when your focusing on the next apex.

Helmets are clearly a personal choice if not mandated by state law, but I do think sitting lower to the ground increases the likelihood of flying rocks or debris to the forehead. Overall, I would say the slingshot is far safer then a motorcycle being that there is some barrier to entry before bodily injury; but obviously far less safe then an automobile with airbags.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I'm on my bike I wear full leathers, boots, gloves, and a full face helmet. Always. Everytime. When I drove my 72 E-type jaguar convertible, I wore a pair of sunglasses. I think the safety features of the Jag are less than what the SS offers. I think I'll don the sunglasses. I plan on keeping a couple of brain buckets in the storage compartments to stay legal in states that require them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think the seatbelt laws will be the most interesting to see in action. i could very well see some one getting pulled over for not having a belt or helmet on and then trying to explain "i dont have to" to the police. that usually works so well...

That said I am one of those would be getting my cycle license people and I can tell you will be wearing my belt and helmet at all times

·
Vendor
2,226 Posts
I think the seatbelt laws will be the most interesting to see in action. i could very well see some one getting pulled over for not having a belt or helmet on and then trying to explain "i dont have to" to the police. that usually works so well...

That said I am one of those would be getting my cycle license people and I can tell you will be wearing my belt and helmet at all times
That is an interesting point zeaken. I'm sure there will be plenty of traffic violation situations where a slingshot owner gets rolled for no belt, but "legally" doesn't need to buckle it. Interesting.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Myself I'll wear a full helmet. Seat belt always. Will check into 5 points also. If done right you can have both systems at the same time. No one will be allowed in my SS without a helmet and belt on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That is an interesting point zeaken. I'm sure there will be plenty of traffic violation situations where a slingshot owner gets rolled for no belt, but "legally" doesn't need to buckle it. Interesting.
Anyone who has busted there butt on a motorcycle then looked at the 3/16 inch deep scratches on the helmet will always wear a helmet. That was done riding on dirt! Just think what it would look like if it had been on asphalt.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Anyone who has busted there butt on a motorcycle then looked at the 3/16 inch deep scratches on the helmet will always wear a helmet. That was done riding on dirt! Just think what it would look like if it had been on asphalt.
Been down the same road as you a few times ,Helmets work good and even better with a good neck protector .

1 - 20 of 57 Posts