Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting a Run Flat Tire for the rear. Does anyone have one of these tires on the rear and if so which brand and how do you like it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Some things to consider.
  1. They are quite a bit heavier than a conventional tire.
  2. Stiffer ride.
  3. Most cannot be repaired once punctured. Means you have to buy a new tire.
  4. Cost about 40% more.
  5. Need to monitor your tire pressure frequently to even tell if its flat.
  6. Wear out faster.
  7. Noisy.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
BUT! If you take long road trips often and are worried about being stranded somewhere, they're great! Since the SS doesn't have carry-a-long spare tire, why stop at just the rear? Put run flats on all 3 and safely drive up to 100 miles at 50mph to the nearest oasis. There is a trade off between comfort/performance and piece of mind. Get yourself an extended warranty and road side assistance while your at it. You'll be covered for anything! :nurse:

·
Registered
567 Posts
I carry a pump and plug kit and if needed to pull something out and repair and as long as not side wall damage .
Tested the pump and inflated approx 8 minutes. So little peace of mind when traveling.
No matter what direction you go there is plus/minus conditions.
Had run flats on Mini and had punctures and if it weren't for monitor I would have not known.
So with no monitor on SS you could have troubles with run flats and have problems driving to far
on no air run flats.. Something to think about.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate all your feedback, that combined with the same and more complaints I read on line has convinced me just to stay with the air pump and dynaplug kit I already carry. I will be doing the Easy Rider route this year so I thought they might be a good idea since at times I will be far from an oasis. I will renew my Polaris Roadside Assistance since besides the trip I live 100 miles from the closest dealer. Extended warranty doesn't cover flat tires so won't really help me get to next oasis which is my only concern. If I was that concerned about it breaking down, probably wouldn't be doing the trip in the first place or else I'd be doing it on a Honda. Been on my bucket list since 1969 when the movie came out, saw it 7 times in the theatre, then went out and bought a 250 BSA, the rest is history.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Appreciate all your feedback, that combined with the same and more complaints I read on line has convinced me just to stay with the air pump and dynaplug kit I already carry. I will be doing the Easy Rider route this year so I thought they might be a good idea since at times I will be far from an oasis. I will renew my Polaris Roadside Assistance since besides the trip I live 100 miles from the closest dealer. Extended warranty doesn't cover flat tires so won't really help me get to next oasis which is my only concern. If I was that concerned about it breaking down, probably wouldn't be doing the trip in the first place or else I'd be doing it on a Honda. Been on my bucket list since 1969 when the movie came out, saw it 7 times in the theatre, then went out and bought a 250 BSA, the rest is history.
@Yochemate

Maybe an in-between option:

http://www.ride-on.com/

I love this stuff. Check out some of the videos & info. It is amazing the punctures this stuff can seal. Added bonus of hydro-dynamically balancing your tires.

I was skeptical about the hydrodynamic balancing, so when I put new tires on my Vulcan 750, I did not balance them. Instead, I followed the instructions for my tire sizes (basically just tells you how much to add based on size of tire) -- went for a ride...started out with obvious tire balance issues...but by about the 5th mile I couldn't believe it. Tires balanced out beautifully!

And now they are puncture proof too!

Thinking about doing all three tires on the Slingshot with this stuff.

·
Registered
544 Posts

AAA, won't leave home without it. They do motorcycles in most states now, so it doesn't matter how it's registered. Will fix flats, tow, doesn't matter whether you're driving or a passenger.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Yochemate

Maybe an in-between option:

I love this stuff. Check out some of the videos & info. It is amazing the punctures this stuff can seal. Added bonus of hydro-dynamically balancing your tires.

I was skeptical about the hydrodynamic balancing, so when I put new tires on my Vulcan 750, I did not balance them. Instead, I followed the instructions for my tire sizes (basically just tells you how much to add based on size of tire) -- went for a ride...started out with obvious tire balance issues...but by about the 5th mile I couldn't believe it. Tires balanced out beautifully!

Thanks for reminding me about ride-on, I now remember reading about it. Got great reviews, since I'll be putting on a new rear tire before "I'll be going to find America", it will be a good time to give it a try.:)

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
@YochemateMaybe an in-between option:

Pulling the Slingshot backwards on the tow-dolly put a lot of wear on the front tires and by the time it got home the wheels were badly out of balance. After remembering other forum members had tried Ride-On, six bottles were purchased (volume discount with an additional discount code found on the web) and the Slingshot dosed according to manufacturer instructions. The results are good, but next time:
  • Use a digital scale to weigh the bottles first, then add the pumpkin sludge. Using the sight window on thixotropic glop requires shaking down the second bottle and getting it to level out, a lot effort that can be avoided.
  • Use 10% less than suggested. Maybe it's the very light rims, but it seems I put "too much" in even though great care was taken to put in the exact right amount, triple checked on their website, instructions, database, etc. More can always be added, but less ain't happenin'.
After adding the orange smush the tires were horribly out of balance due to the pumpkin sludge sitting in one spot, which was completely expected. Drove around the city some, then slowly onto the freeway. The instructions state it may take up to 10 miles for the moosh to spread around, and that in my experience was not the full story. I held the Minimum Speed Limit of 45 MPH for three miles, and the vibration stayed unnervingly bad without improvement. I sped up a few MPH really pushing the limits and causing the tires to hop, which did get the glop to slowly spread out. Maybe it's me, maybe the conditions that day, but I had to push the vehicle in order for the stuff to balance. The results were "pretty good."

If the Slingshot sits for a week straight (like when it rains all week) the tires go noticeably out of balance, which is why I think too much glop was added. (The instructions list two amounts, one for sealing and an additional amount for balancing, I added the amount for balancing). After about two miles of freeway driving it redistributes without issue or problem and goes back into "good" balance. The balance for me is never be "great" or "perfect, but "good."

Note that if the wheels are dynamically balanced at a speed shop, there's a compromise and they can't always balance out perfectly at all speeds. If multiple wheels have this issue harmonics sometimes set in and it's more noticeable. Ride-On will minimize this because it continually adjusts the balance (the heavy side smacks the road harder and pushes the glop to the lighter side), so on problematic tires it's a decent solution. Conversely, with good rubber a great tire tech can achieve superior results.

The tires haven't been punctured, and if that does happen the sludge will probably fill smaller holes reasonably well, especially given the light weight of the Slingshot. There are enough independent videos online to expect the product to perform well.

It is a good product, and it does work as advertised. Given the amount of tread left on the tires versus the cost of the product the cost is probably a wash. The tires are to the point they would probably not balance well and require re-balancing every 3,000 miles, so the options are replace them or try the sludge. If I can scoop out the sludge and reuse it (given it'll have 10,000 miles max on it) or something impacts the tire where it couldn't self-seal without the sludge, then I'm money ahead.

Also note I did not remove the wheel weights as some people do. The manufacturer states the tires should be balanced before adding their product, and that makes complete sense, the product can only do so much and miracles aren't on the list. If the tires are balanced fairly close, Ride-On will do the rest.

The only warning is that once using it, you can't un-use it. The wheel can't be re-balanced without taking the tire off the rim and removing the glop completely. Therefore if you have new tires that balance up perfectly and you add the sludge, they're quite possibly going from "perfect" balance to "good" balance for the rest of their usable life. I don't say this for sure as I haven't used the product on enough wheels to know, but you could find yourself in this situation, and if you expect it could happen before you start and accept that fact you'll probably be fine with it if that does become the case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts