Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I like where this is going. Just a couple of concerns. 1. Make sure it will clear larger tires than stock. 2. Not to much play in the receiver that would cause play or sloppiness. Have seen it in other receivers for motorcycles. I like how what would remain is really unnoticeable. Good job!
It will clear the big tires that people have, it has a huge amount of room between the wheel and it, if not we can always do something custom. The design is very rigid and doesn't look like it would be going any where, it is 1/4 inch thick steel with grade 8 (i'm not in the shop but i think it is 1/2 inch thick) bolts. We really wanted to make it as unnoticeable as possible due to us wanting to leave on there for an extended amount of time. Please give us more feed back!
P.S. When i get in the shop tomorrow i will give u specifics on the bolts we use :).

Thank You,
Nathan and Brian

LOL, Yes we include grade 8 bolts with locking nylon nuts and instructions. Powder coated black and this thing should last forever!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Here is one of the designs we finished up yesterday.

Now this is not hitch used for a trailer. This design is used for the many different "Cargo Racks" available on the market. Ranging from $70 and up from our searching. Will also "clear" SS with larger rims and tires.

Please give us some feedback :)

Attachments

·
Registered
939 Posts
This is definitely going in a direction I wasn't expecting. Unique for sure. I was thinking you were going for the rack mounted be side the tire. Something close to your original design. As usual thinking outside the box. Seems like there was another rear mounted box on here somewhere Thule I believe. It was huge compared to sling. Kind of looked like something from back of a van. IMO, it just didn't go with sling.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yeah it's a lot more of a universal piece. A bike rack our a light weight cargo rack. We designed it with a customers idea in mind and now after seeing out he is wanting it on the side like you said @lostnparadise. Basically like our original design with a quick release but would require a cargo rack of your choice. We will offer a couple once we figure out the best fitment and size.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I agree with him. I think I would prefer the side mounted rack with quick release. Something about trying to keep it as close to the foot print of the sling as possible. If that makes any sense.

·
Registered
939 Posts
To be honest though I do like the idea of the bike rack with the mount you have going on. As long as it would be sturdy without to much play.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, liking this concept. I 'm not sure if I totally understand the mounting of a reciever into another reciever then mounting your final luggage rack into this second reciever. I liked your original concept of the side mount. Perhaps when I see the final product it will make sense to me. If your making it a simple disconnect is it possible to make it light weight and sturdy ? So if travelling you can easily take it apart and carry it along with your luggage to your room. Maybe a small carry handle? Waiting for the updates, thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
We will be offering this design I believe for bike racks or a cargo rack larger in size.

Second option will be about the center of the rim there is a quick disconnect there @90 degrees pointing to the drivers side of the SS for smaller cargo racks.

We were thinking of a cargo holder like our original design as a double stack with only the one quick release. We are hoping to work on that one tomorrow.

We have to get more of the quick disconnects, we bought everyone around here! LOL

·
Registered
939 Posts
We are still trying to get back on the Cargo Rack. The Spring Fling Sale has put a damper on the progress. LOL Good and bad
Good problem to have. Will be taking a weekend getaway the 28th we are heading to the smokey mountains. If you get back on the quick release side rack let me know. Could do a ride review with write up and pics. If that is something you would be interested in.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts