Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The service department just spoke to Polaris and was told that they know about what they call "RPM Flare". And it's normal! RPM flare up when shifting. RPM dropping under 500 is part of the flare! Good luck not crashing your Slingshot! I am so pissed I can't finish this post.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hmmmm, so "RPM Flare" is normal and RPM dropping so low the vehicle shakes is "Normal" to Polaris.
I wonder if the resulting engine stall, sitting in the middle of the road with a vehicle that just died as a result of the RPM drop is also normal?
I wonder how much the law suit settlement will be for the first wreck caused by their "Normal" engine activity?
Guess i will have to invest in a GoPro just to record the instruments and my feet while i am driving, so the Police will have evidence in case i am killed while driving it because someone ran over me because their "normal" engine died in front of a log truck.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I just got home. I'm still tripping that they said t's normal. I was standing in front of the service rep as he spoke to the Polaris tech. The rep asked the tech to speak directly to me and the tech said no that he is not allowed to. I heard the tech say it's normal for the SS almost stall out and for the RPM to flare!

·
Registered
508 Posts
It's like a doctor saying "Oh it's a Flare Heart Attack, its normal". It's not a good thing if stalls or cuts out in a middle a turn on a side of a mountain.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It's like a doctor saying "Oh it's a Flare Heart Attack, its normal". It's not a good thing if stalls or cuts out in a middle a turn on a side of a mountain.
Like I've said way too many times in life - Too many people confuse the words NORMAL and TYPICAL. This anomaly is showing up in so many of these units, it's a safe bet to say it's a typical feature of the slingshot. But to let them try to convince you that it is NORMAL is waaaaaaaaaaaaay off base. Unless of course, they use that word to mean it's normal to complain about this situation and we'll get back to you IN TWO WEEKS!!!

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
I just got home. I'm still tripping that they said t's normal. I was standing in front of the service rep as he spoke to the Polaris tech. The rep asked the tech to speak directly to me and the tech said no that he is not allowed to. I heard the tech say it's normal for the SS almost stall out and for the RPM to flare!
Like I've said way too many times in life - Too many people confuse the words NORMAL and TYPICAL. This anomaly is showing up in so many of these units, it's a safe bet to say it's a typical feature of the slingshot. But to let them try to convince you that it is NORMAL is waaaaaaaaaaaaay off base. Unless of course, they use that word to mean it's normal to complain about this situation and we'll get back to you IN TWO WEEKS!!!
I was just going to say that Funinthesun.......I see a ton of people use the term "normal" synonymous with "common." Before we get too mad, let it play out for a week or so and see what they come up with. I do understand though Joker. Believe me, I'm not trying to tell you how to feel. I don't let anyone tell me how to feel and If that is the resultant response from Polaris, I'll be very angry too. I just don't see it brother. It's too dangerous to be "normal." It's probably just a common (normal) mistaken vocab.o_O

·
Registered
46 Posts
maybe pick a day and go to the factory and show them. news crews a big sign why we are there, and interviews with the execs saying why they wont ride or drive them (that rpm flare scares me)

·
Registered
46 Posts
What i'm afraid of is my wont shift when the rpm's "FLARE". If you are between gears and someone is coming at while making a left hand turn my wife or grandkids could be killed!!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The service department just spoke to Polaris and was told that they know about what they call "RPM Flare". And it's normal! RPM flare up when shifting. RPM dropping under 500 is part of the flare! Good luck not crashing your Slingshot! I am so pissed I can't finish this post.
At the risk of being labeled a 'speculator' , this response from Polaris is completely consistent with my theory of why the throttle response was intentionally programmed to be very slow. I won't bore everyone by repeating what I've said before but there were several reasons, mainly to protect the Polaris designed portion of the drive train.

So that being the case, Polaris is exactly right in saying this is normal. It is just a byproduct of their design choices.

It still sucks though.

Polaris, if you are listening, may I make a suggestion...

Offer the option to flash the ECU with faster throttle response but with the proviso that final drive belt and/or bevel drive life problems will not be covered under warranty. I'll take that deal in a NY minute.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Flare Polaris! I say we take this problem to the media or lawyer up. Polaris might not do anything until serveral of us get killed or seriously injured. Just every other major manufacture has done before.

Please share your thoughts and if you have any media connections or lawyer that specializes in this field.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just so I understand the problem in a normal motorcycle shift you cut back the throttle, shift and open up the throttle in one quick move. Is the problem with the SS that when you cut back the throttle to shift the RPM drops to 500 and the engine sputters when you shift into another gear? I'm trying to envision what you're going through. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perhaps *some* RPM flare is normal, but the amount exhibited by many SS's is not...
I told my service rep and Polaris customer service that it flares over 1000 RPMs while changing gear and it accelerates on its own toward a car in front me forcing me to react before crashing. That at stops it flares up 1000 then drops 800 or so then goes back up 200 to 300 hangs again then drops under 500 and bogs. Plus the It wants to stall at stops/rolls at intersections. That is flaring BS!

I swear I heard Polaris tell my service rep that it's not an issue. My rep was having a hard time with the techs answer and wanted him to talk directly to me and he refused.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just so I understand the problem in a normal motorcycle shift you cut back the throttle, shift and open up the throttle in one quick move. Is the problem with the SS that when you cut back the throttle to shift the RPM drops to 500 and the engine sputters when you shift into another gear? I'm trying to envision what you're going through. Thanks.
It happens mostly when trying to stop or come to a roll. So no gas and only braking. Foot on or off the clutch it starts to drop under 500 and sputter/bog.

So turning left in front of oncoming traffic is very risky.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It happens mostly when trying to stop or come to a roll. So no gas and only braking. Foot on or off the clutch it starts to drop under 500 and sputter/bog.

So turning left in front of oncoming traffic is very risky.
Thanks. Now I understand the concern. Yikes.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It sounds like a real safety issue and there should be a recall. I hope a simple flash of the ecu will fix the problem or we could be without our toys for quite a long time.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Flare Polaris! I say we take this problem to the media or lawyer up. Polaris might not do anything until serveral of us get killed or seriously injured. Just every other major manufacture has done before.

Please share your thoughts and if you have any media connections or lawyer that specializes in this field.
Here's one way to bring the issue to the full attention of Polaris. I'm just not too sure if this can go unresolved until May of 2015 though. Anyone who owns stock in Polaris (PII) has the right to attend the annual shareholders meeting. The last meeting was held in New York in May of this year, so 2015 will more than likely be held this May in New York.. I'm sure the board of directors would not want to have an owner of a slingshot who also owns shares of the company, get on stage in front of a whole lot of big investors and air the dirty laundry that a major safety issue is not being repaired . And worse, the attitude of those involved with the repair are trying to turn a blind eye to the issue, saying it's normal. You can bet your last dollar, that once they get wind of this happening, all the s/s that have this issue will be promptly brought in for repairs. Let's all hope it doesn't come to that since time is of the essence and lives are on the line.

1 - 20 of 471 Posts