Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, just got a slingshot and I am new to these forums. First purchase I’m looking at getting is roof/top. My question is, are there are any tops for the 2016 SL LE that isn’t the cloth top? Heard some people say those get pretty noisy so was looking at slingshade and what not but they all look like they are for 2017-2019

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a cloth top with a strong frame, the TD Soft Top, and it's not loud, no more than with no top. CANVAS FRAME FOR THE POLARIS SLINGSHOT

The canvas comes off in less than a minute and you can roll it up and put behind the seat if you don't want to run with a top. While the bars are NOT certified as a roll cage, people have reported that they have saved lives, and I like that extra insurance. Also, it helps you get out by giving you something to pull yourself up with.

TD has other hard tops as well. Exterior . Most of the vendors resell these tops, All Things Slingshot.com ; Polaris Slingshot, Mods and Accessories, Polaris Slingshot Aftermarket Parts and Accessories

Here are some others to peruse not by TD : Polaris Slingshot Canvas Roofs & Hard Tops

one of the newest tops to the market is EZ Out T-Bar Top Frame By All Things Slingshot that is very well built and gives you lots of room to get in and out, you can stand up with it.

Last but not least, https://www.meansling.com/ has two tops that are meant to be able to take on and off very easily, including frame, so when you want to go back to the way the sling is intended to look.

The slingshade is nice, but it's all plastic and will give you no protection at all (if you are concerned with that), but it does follow the lines nicely of the sling, and looks great. If you are intent on that one, I'm sure you can adapt it to fit on an earlier model sling, but I don't know of anyone that has done it.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
IF the roll hoops from the later models will fit the earlier models (They should, I think), that should let you add the Slingshade if that's what you like. I've had a canvas top Twist Dynamics Top since December 2015 and I never really thought it was that noisy. Meansling.com offers some cloth tops that are easily removed when you don't want a top. They're both affordably priced and customers seem to really like them. MyToy-toy.com offered an aluminum top to fit the TD top at one point, but I didn't see it still listed on his website. AllThingsSlingshot (tops) and SlingMods (Polaris Slingshot Canvas Roofs & Hard Tops) both carry a variety of tops as does SlingShotOnly (Tops Archives - Slingshot Only). The Slingshade is probably the most expensive top offered.
I know one owner who tried making a hard top from Kydex (a thermoplastic commonly used for knife sheaths or holsters) to replace his canvas top. He used a 4' x 8', .093" thick Kydex sheet, softened with a heat gun to wrap around his top's frame. He liked it, but felt the sun's heat loosened it just enough to start making noise at highways speeds. I've been thinking about trying this myself, but making it from .125" Kydex sheet and using some metal brackets around the frame and then bolted to the Kydex should keep it more firmly attached. Unfortunately, a 4' x 8' .125" sheet of Kydex is about twice as expensive and shipping a big sheet like that could also be a PITA. Some sellers sell Kydex in 2' x 4' pieces that should be easier to ship and if you live near a manufacturer who uses Kydex, you might be able to find some cut-offs from other jobs at a decent price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of good info, I thank both of you. I’m not hung up on the slingshade really, it just looks pretty nice, but after reading some reviews I’d probably go another route. I’ll probably go ahead and do the canvas top if it is that easy to remove the top...been a couple hot hot days here in Indiana, so it is either buy a top or install some air conditioning, but that might not be as effective as I’d like lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Before you buy ANY top, go to a GTG and check out all the different ones people have. I'm sure people will be glad to tell you all about them and let you sit in them. Some are taller, some shorter, some are open to get into, some you have to crawl in to, some are more expensive, some are less expensive, etc. Figure out what YOU want in a top and then go from there.

I'm glad I got to sit in quite a few different ones before I bought and that made a HUGE difference. And if you're near Texas or Arkansas, I can let you sit in mine (TD Gull Wing).

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
@chavey2 has a good point about getting a personal look at a top before you buy one. Before I bought my TD Top, I stopped by a Slingshot owner's place to check out his top before I ordered mine. he had a wide 4-panel mirror that provided excellent coverage not only to the rear of the Slingshot, but the blind spots, too. Having a chance to get in and out of the Slingshot showed me that the top helped doing so.

Once you identify potential tops, search the various forums for comments/reviews. While there are several forums about the Polaris Slingshot there are really only 2 with lots of activity, this one and the other one with lots of Slingshot Info. Google can be used to search a specific forum with the following format - website name : search term(s). Example - site:www.slingshotforums.com Meansling Sport Top

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Just a point of interest note that
A lot of good info, I thank both of you. I’m not hung up on the slingshade really, it just looks pretty nice, but after reading some reviews I’d probably go another route. I’ll probably go ahead and do the canvas top if it is that easy to remove the top...been a couple hot hot days here in Indiana, so it is either buy a top or install some air conditioning, but that might not be as effective as I’d like lol
Just a personal note that our top has several uses and advantages, but as the heat increased this summer we took the top off of our SlingShot, finding that with the restricted airflow that the top actually traps heat underneath making it warmer than without the top. My suggestion would be to keep in mind that you purchased a motorcycle and think of how motorcycle riders stay cool, also check out related threads here about ideas to keep cool and other practical ideas..............

Bill

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
If it helps any...I have a canvas top...just did 2600 miles and the noise isn't an issue at all. The exhaust drone, the tire road noise, and the wind beating up your ears is more noticeable than the canvas top flapping.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just a point to clarify my original reply at https://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/roof-for-a-2016.178459/#post-907269 and referring to our tops as not being certified as roll bars, I left out a crucial key word of NOT being certified. Sorry if I mislead anyone, these tops are not certified for roll cages, but we have heard of reports of them saving lives, but don't let my mistaken post lead you the wrong way.

SORRY!

Thanks to @BKL for pointing out my error.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
Just a point to clarify my original reply at https://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/roof-for-a-2016.178459/#post-907269 and referring to our tops as not being certified as roll bars, I left out a crucial key word of NOT being certified. Sorry if I mislead anyone, these tops are not certified for roll cages, but we have heard of reports of them saving lives, but don't let my mistaken post lead you the wrong way.

SORRY!

Thanks to @BKL for pointing out my error.
I just mentioned that to a post on FB this past week. Seems like a few people have been led to believe that it is a legit roll cage. I hate being that "that guy" and correcting people...but when safety is on the line...it's time to say something.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I distinctly remember reading a post about a Slingshot owner crediting his Top as saving his Wife's life after a Toyota Sequoia (I think) hit the front of the Slingshot she was driving and went over the Slingshot. IIRC, the post was on this forum, but searches since haven't found the post, AFAIK. At the time of the post, I don't believe the Bullet Speed V-Back Top was available, so I assume the Top in question was probably the old Gen 1 TD Top with its one-piece frame. The newer Gen 2 Top had a two-piece frame connected via bolts and custom fittings to allow more compact shipping.

I must also admit, that in searching for the original post about the crash, I'm embarrassed to see that I seem to have been the only person to have mentioned that story. I admit that when I ordered my TD Top, it gave me some sense of security, although I hadn't realized TD had just changed the design to the Gen 2 frame. I still love my TD Top, nevertheless.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
I have the Gen 2 and I am surprised how sturdy it is. I have actually climbed on top of the frame to reach thing in the garage when I didn't have a ladder...but uhh...disregard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Where you at in Indiana? Ft Wayne here

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have 2015 with soft top. We like it. We changed the muffler with pipes away from in front of passenger noise is not an issue.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everybody, just got a slingshot and I am new to these forums. First purchase I’m looking at getting is roof/top. My question is, are there are any tops for the 2016 SL LE that isn’t the cloth top? Heard some people say those get pretty noisy so was looking at slingshade and what not but they all look like they are for 2017-2019
Cloth are horrible get a Slingshade

1 - 20 of 37 Posts