Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first saw the pics of the Slingshot I said this thing needs a cage. So once i get my hands on one I will be building a cage for it. We do roll cages for everything from race cars to off road trucks. So this is going to be a fun project.
Now its just when can i get one in the shop

·
Registered
620 Posts
When I first saw the pics of the Slingshot I said this thing needs a cage. So once i get my hands on one I will be building a cage for it. We do roll cages for everything from race cars to off road trucks. So this is going to be a fun project.
Now its just when can i get one in the shop
Let me kn how that goes and a price

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Please keep us posted on that build! I will probably be building a cage for mine as well. I have some ideas floating around in my head that I think could look pretty wicked :mask:

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Just remember you still have to get in and out. A huge complaint about the T-Rex is that getting in makes an Elise seem like a minivan by comparison. The T-Rex has a much lower side sill than the SS so you might have to "Dukes of Hazzard" it.
D0fH.jpg

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just remember you still have to get in and out. A huge complaint about the T-Rex is that getting in makes an Elise seem like a minivan by comparison. The T-Rex has a much lower side sill than the SS so you might have to "Dukes of Hazzard" it.
View attachment 294
I have been wondering about the getting in and out of them. I didn't hear anybody whining about it in the test drives. Was not sure if it was because it was no issue, or if they were just happy to be invited to the test drive

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
With an open top it is certainly easier to get in and out of. I think most of the reviewers were so in love at first sight that they didn't mention it - at least in many of the articles I read.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know if a full on cage is really necessary, (lots of weight in the wrong place) but I do think some strategic reinforcement could pay some serious dividends. If you check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LGtB3B-Gikc#t=389 there is a point in the chassis where the x in the "door bars" and the center spine of the chassis all line up and looks like it could be a point where chassis flex is induced. The weight of the driver + passenger are aft of this point as is the drive tire. A well placed bar or set of smaller bars that runs from the dash bar to up around the passenger shoulder area shouldn't affect ingress/egress and would probably do wonders for rigidity.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots of weight? Give me a weight that you think a chromoly cage will come in at on one of these.

Also we have been building cages for years. And we will do different style, clearly an open style Center T-top style is what these need.

I do see that flex point too. I can't wait to just get my hand on one of these things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think 25-50 lbs for anything that would provide any real additional protection. 1.5" .083 moly is about 1.25 lbs per foot. The better part of a 20 foot stick + whatever tabs or tube clamps for attachment will put you right at the lower end of that. I have no way of knowing what your design is so that's as far as I am willing to take the guessing game, especially since neither you nor I have seen one in person yet. However, there are lots of open wheel formula cars running around with a only a properly elevated roll hoop.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Seems to me rollover protection is already covered in stock form, and the vulnerabilities that have much greater need of being addressed are rear and side impacts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alum roll hoops rated at 5000 pounds, don't have the "rollover protection covered".
Roll cages are multipurpose they also strengthens and tie the car, truck or this case bike frame together.

Also the additional ability to mount a roof, side enclosures, solid windshield and speaker system are all pluses.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Let's also not forget that most states if you have a roll bar you don't need a helmet!!!
At least in Iowa, which doesn't have a helmet law, no brain bucket is required in any event. However, my employer requires that anything considered a motorcycle, Iowa requires an M endorsement, will require a helmet to ride on campus regardless of the presence of a roll-cage or not.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Alum roll hoops rated at 5000 pounds, don't have the "rollover protection covered".
Roll cages are multipurpose they also strengthens and tie the car, truck or this case bike frame together.

Also the additional ability to mount a roof, side enclosures, solid windshield and speaker system are all pluses.
To be fair they state that the roll hoops will withstand 5x the weight of the vehicle - that is at least 8,330 lbs if you use the dry weight of the base model.

Having said that, some interesting roll cages will be on a long list of potential upgrades for me. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts