Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following videos of the ss rolling around trying to get a feel for the ride height is of this thing as its a marketing corner and honestly it's looking rather... Average or even about average for sports cars. It appears the height is above a corvette even when I was hoping for something akin to an Elise.

What are your guys thoughts about the ride height?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I think like you...maybe the SS drive position will be lower than most normal car, but never like a Lotus Elise which is more close to the T-Rex...The position we drive the SS is like a normal car so i think some sport car will be lower than us...just look at this video and you can see the SS and a Corvette and i think the Vette is a bit lower...
But it's not important to me!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The seat is 5 inches off the ground, not sure what you guys want.....
I owned an Elise.....cool car but to keep comparing stuff to it stupid.
Plus there are better cars out there anyway. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
The seat is 5 inches off the ground, not sure what you guys want.....
I owned an Elise.....cool car but to keep comparing stuff to it stupid.
Plus there are better cars out there anyway. :)
The frame is as low as 5" off the ground, but the seat is 11" or 11-1/2" off the deck. I obviously haven't ridden one yet, but I think freeway speeds at that height with no door will still have quite an impact.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah the vet looks lower for sure. No biggie. I'll still buy it! Still going to have
a totally different feel! I'm buying it for what it is. Not what is could be.
I'm sure after we have them in our hands. We will make it even better,
improving on this platform.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The frame is as low as 5" off the ground, but the seat is 11" or 11-1/2" off the deck. I obviously haven't ridden one yet, but I think freeway speeds at that height with no door will still have quite an impact.
With the frame 5" off the highway and the seat a bit higher than that off the highway with no doors and the open air cockpit going down the freeway at 70 to 90 mph is going to be a very different experience no matter how you slice it. It will not matter if a Vette or any other vehicle sits lower than your SS at speeds of 70+. The "WTF" factor will be on you.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have been following videos of the ss rolling around trying to get a feel for the ride height is of this thing as its a marketing corner and honestly it's looking rather... Average or even about average for sports cars. It appears the height is above a corvette even when I was hoping for something akin to an Elise.

What are your guys thoughts about the ride height?
The Exige is 5.1" off the ground at the lowest point. You really can't go much lower and have it still usable with speed bumps and driveways and such. 5.1" is F-Ing LOW....

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with others on this post. In a car you see the ground by looking out the window. In an SS you'll just look down and slightly left. The rush of asphalt is going to give you a much different perception of height and speed.

I had a fast Waverunner for awhile. Going 70 mph in my car is boring, but 70 on the Waverunner felt like I was teasing the Grim Reaper. Much different perception when you're low and exposed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I obviously don't think the frame should be lower because of clearance issues but why they put the seats so high in a vehicle they market as being so low riding is beyond me.

As Centhron pointed out the trex does sit a bit lower and sadly I dont need to compare it to the ride height of an elise. its 11.9" taller then a t rex, 3.3" more then a miata, 4.2" over a corvette and the list goes on. To actually find a sports car it ran shorter then I had to go all the way up to a mustang!

I am sure the open sides will add some rush feeling to it but I question if it will make up the difference and the only other side by side is nearly a foot shorter!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I posted in some thread or other about this. My 76 Vette seat deck height is about 12" or so with shaved racing seats. Think the SS is supposed to be 11.5". But since the window sill is about shoulder height on the Vette, you really gotta be movin' out to feel the speed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On the Morgan 3-wheeler, it is about 5-3/4" off the ground and the bottom seat cushion is sitting directly on the floor pan...so your butt is about 6.0-6.5" off the pavement with the cushion compressed. When driving the Morgan, everyone in other vehicles are looking down at you.

The newer Corvettes are 7" off the pavement but I'm not sure about the seat-to-road height....but it is considerably higher than the Morgan height.

Z

·
Registered
843 Posts
Just jump in the Morgan and/or Vette with a tape measure and start from the ground up your eyes...it will give an idea!:pompus:

Nice garage!!:snaphappy:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The morgan is the shortest of them all with a height of 39.4 or 12.5" shorter then the slingshot so basically expect to be riding almost a foot higher.

That also looks like an Evora you have there. I like your choice in cars!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I obviously don't think the frame should be lower because of clearance issues but why they put the seats so high in a vehicle they market as being so low riding is beyond me.

As Centhron pointed out the trex does sit a bit lower and sadly I dont need to compare it to the ride height of an elise. its 11.9" taller then a t rex, 3.3" more then a miata, 4.2" over a corvette and the list goes on. To actually find a sports car it ran shorter then I had to go all the way up to a mustang!

I am sure the open sides will add some rush feeling to it but I question if it will make up the difference and the only other side by side is nearly a foot shorter!
I get what you're saying. After all this is targeted at the driving enthusiast. For me it's not a big deal, but I do appreciate your point of view.

This got me wondering if they raised the seat up for comfort reasons. I went kayaking yesterday. The seat of kayak is only a few inches off the bottom. After a hour or so, I found that seating position to be pretty uncomfortable. I'm wondering if Polaris set the seat a little higher to increase comfort and appeal to a wider audience. Just a thought...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am sure its a blend of ease of access as older folks wont want something they feel like they are crawling into and on the flip side I am sure that low ride height of what I would consider ideal paired with the open sides would probably make it seem so fast and wild it might scare people off. I get what they did and why they did it but that doesnt mean I cant want something even more stupid that I like.

after thought is it probably also helps crash survivability. I am pretty sure having your head at suv bumper height with no doors to protect you isnt a great thing. At least this way it has a chance of catching on the crash structure.

·
The Pack
5,180 Posts
Don't you think if you were any lower you wouldn't be able to park the SS without running in to the vehicle in front of you? I'm just thinking if you were lying on the floorboard you might not be able to gauge the length of the front end too well! :mad:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol. I drove a lower car for years (miata) and no problem gauging the front end. the only trouble with this one will be is I am guessing the front end is going to be sensitive to inclines.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Never had a problem with the T-Rex and it's only 42" from ground to roof!

Just consider that maybe others do not see you and be vigilant!;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's going to be a far stretch from the Jeep Rubicon! Even with the doors off on the Jeep, the perception of speed is going to be a huge difference on the SS!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts