Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
It is a keyed ignition, but an RFID would be greatly welcome, at least for me!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kip - Correct me if it's wrong.
It is a keyed ignition but push button start ?
So all we need is the RFID to bypass the key part and we are good - easy peesy ..

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
FTM_0242.png

It is a keyed ignition.

Go!.png

DSC_0243r.png

With an electric start button.

Remember also: the CAD models and eventually the US models come with a security unlock code too.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Kip -
Can you confirm or deny if the slingshot has a steering wheel lockout ??
IE when the key is removed does the steering wheel lock so that it can not be turned.
No, it can be turned without a key in ignition.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
That is perfect - RFID start will be a breeze.
Mike - Can you give some details on what parts you would need and how you would install this>?

It has me curious and I don't know much about them....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike - Can you give some details on what parts you would need and how you would install this>?

It has me curious and I don't know much about them....
TravAZ,
They install much like an alarm system and allow you to start your vehicle without using a key. Like all the new car that are out now. Just have the fob in your pocket, get in the vehicle, press and hold the brake pedal and push the start button. You can toggle the ACC switch ON/OFF on the ignition by not pressing the brake pedal when pressing the engine start button.
They also come with alarm functions, remote start and GPS tracking.
The main issue with installing these in normal cars is that they have steering wheel lockout and if the key is not in the ignition and turned on, you can't turn the wheel. In those cases you have to either remove the lock ( not easy ) or cut a key and leave the ignition in the ON position.
We do not have to worry about that on the slingshot as it does not have wheel lockout. yea.

There are some really nice one's listed in my first post and also you can search ebay for "RFID PKE" and you will get all kinds like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stock-In-USA-PKE-Car-Alarm-Rolling-Code-With-Engine-Start-Stop-Push-Button-/171490777523?pt=US_Car_Alarms_Security_Systems&hash=item27eda599b3

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm intrigued by this and want to try it. I am curious though how it is going to work since as soon as the key is turned on the SS the headlights come on. That going to happen anytime you are within the required distance for these systems to work? I go to show off my new Slingshot and standing around it I don't want the lights on and draining the battery.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm intrigued by this and want to try it. I am curious though how it is going to work since as soon as the key is turned on the SS the headlights come on. That going to happen anytime you are within the required distance for these systems to work? I go to show off my new Slingshot and standing around it I don't want the lights on and draining the battery.
Nope that will not happen, you have to press the start button with you foot off the brake to turn the ignition ON without starting the Slingshot.
If you press the brake and press the start button it will turn ON the ignition and start the Slingshot.
You can walk around the slingshot and nothing will happen.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok I guess I'm confused. I watched the Victory and another motorcycle video on the Digital Guard Dog site (I just assumed Victory would be a good fit because it is using some of the same connectors most likely) and as soon as the person walked up to the bike the gauges lit up and they were ready to hit the starter unless they had it in manual mode.

I'm completely new to this.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That maybe true for the motorcycle RFID systems but for the car ones that is not the case. At least not that I have seen.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I dunno, I thought the SS and fob detection technology would go well together. I just assume for now that they went with a key ignition for the first year models, or they intended to roll out a fob ignition later, but no word has come of one yet.

·
Vendor
2,226 Posts
Hey Guys, as you know the SS requires a key for the ignition with push button start. We are working with a very well known keyless ignition company to bring you guys the first RFID keyless ignition system for the SS. My dash is in pieces and I have my voltmeter in hand. I'll keep you guys posted as I get more information on release dates, availability and price! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts