Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adding data points to all of the 0-60 discussions to have come before; Yeah yeah... we all know the Slingshot is a curvy road joyride machine, and not a standing start racer...

But I was curious, so I did some testing with a G-tech on my '17 SLR running a 305/35/20 Firestone IndyHawk @ 28 psi cold. It was 79F, and around 300' MSL. To the best of my knowledge the engine, intake, and exhaust is stock except for a DDM short throw shifter.

First few attempts according to my G-tech ranged from 6.01 - 6.15 seconds. Not great. So I spent some time observing the peak acceleration in first gear from a rolling stop and noticed it was averaging .55 G and peaking at .58 G just before the shift almost every time. I spent a few minutes learning how to launch consistently at a similar rate of acceleration, which happens to feel like a really slow launch! When I returned to timed runs, I pulled a couple of 5.6 - 5.62 second runs back-to-back. I saw a Polaris estimate in the high 4 second range, which may be true based on a theoretical power-to-weight ratio, but I see no way to shave a full second off with my particular Slingshot, at least not in the absence of a racing slick or turbocharger.

FYI, with this same G-tech in my other vehicles I have almost always duplicated the magazine tested times when the vehicles were stock:

1989 Ford Taurus SHO 6.6 - 6.8 seconds
1998 Buick Regal GS 6.6 seconds (later modified to 350+ WHP)
2009 Nissan 370Z 4.7 seconds

The Slingshot feels as fast as the 370Z everywhere except below 20-25 mph, which isn't surprising given their very similar power to weight ratios with me as the driver. BUT the Slingshot is TONS more fun than all of them!

Lastly, I did some maximum braking runs and was seeing an average of ~0.95 G and consistent peak of 1.04 - 1.08 G just before coming to a stop with stock pads. If anyone's interested I'll retest once I have my Hawk Ceramic pads installed.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There are a few of guys who have done some of the testing and all that you are doing. Me --- I enjoy the smiles per mile at most all of the speeds and roads. My 'mod' of choice is gas, and the git up and go works for this rider. Going to send you a pm....

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
You want 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, buy a four-wheel vehicle with lots of HP and racing slicks. Then the SS will leave you behind in the twisties..............
I went with a 4 wheel conversion, have the Hahn turbo kit...and a couple of things I noticed...

0-60 - has still been tough with the tires and wheels I have. Best I have gotten on my Dragy was 3.92 seconds...that was with the heavy smell of clutch...and I have not been able to repeat it.

1/4 mile - Best I have gotten so far is 11.87...most of the runs I have been getting in the mid 12's. I think if I actually get different wheels and tires, I can probably get in the 11's pretty regularly.

I really think the clutch is a major weak point for me. Hopefully before the next riding season, I will have the wheels and tires changed and possibly a better clutch.

As far as the twisties...if you think the 3 wheel version can carve...the 4 wheel makes things so predictable that it's almost boring to carve up the mountain passes.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
Two things. I'm glad people enjoy modding their Slingshots, for whatever reason to whatever extent. I'm also glad I can somehow wrangle a bit of enjoyment out mine, which is stock.
I've got 20K miles on mine and have been cross country with it...I'd say I am definitely enjoying mine. lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Min
Two things. I'm glad people enjoy modding their Slingshots, for whatever reason to whatever extent. I'm also glad I can somehow wrangle a bit of enjoyment out mine, which is stock.
Mine is stock, other than tires and a short throw shifter, and it's the most fun driving experience I've had. This includes driving Corvettes, Camaro's (an SS and ZR1), BMWs, my 370Z, etc. I'd like a better ride and more power, but I love mine as-is.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Two things. I'm glad people enjoy modding their Slingshots, for whatever reason to whatever extent. I'm also glad I can somehow wrangle a bit of enjoyment out of mine, which is stock.
I'm pretty close to stock... I enjoy the ride/drive.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
My 2017SLR is stock. I can go the speed limit in any state. . It's fun to drive and I love watching people saying What the hell is that LOL. That never gets old..Ride safe all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Adding data points to all of the 0-60 discussions to have come before; Yeah yeah... we all know the Slingshot is a curvy road joyride machine, and not a standing start racer...

But I was curious, so I did some testing with a G-tech on my '17 SLR running a 305/35/20 Firestone IndyHawk @ 28 psi cold. It was 79F, and around 300' MSL. To the best of my knowledge the engine, intake, and exhaust is stock except for a DDM short throw shifter.

First few attempts according to my G-tech ranged from 6.01 - 6.15 seconds. Not great. So I spent some time observing the peak acceleration in first gear from a rolling stop and noticed it was averaging .55 G and peaking at .58 G just before the shift almost every time. I spent a few minutes learning how to launch consistently at a similar rate of acceleration, which happens to feel like a really slow launch! When I returned to timed runs, I pulled a couple of 5.6 - 5.62 second runs back-to-back. I saw a Polaris estimate in the high 4 second range, which may be true based on a theoretical power-to-weight ratio, but I see no way to shave a full second off with my particular Slingshot, at least not in the absence of a racing slick or turbocharger.

FYI, with this same G-tech in my other vehicles I have almost always duplicated the magazine tested times when the vehicles were stock:

The Slingshot feels as fast as the 370Z everywhere except below 20-25 mph, which isn't surprising given their very similar power to weight ratios with me as the driver. BUT the Slingshot is TONS more fun than all of them!

Lastly, I did some maximum braking runs and was seeing an average of ~0.95 G and consistent peak of 1.04 - 1.08 G just before coming to a stop with stock pads. If anyone's interested I'll retest once I have my Hawk Ceramic pads installed.

Love that you are doing this. I tried it using an app a couple of times and couldn't get below 6.5. I broke the tires loose even in 3rd, so I would like to try it again with some practice. It certainly feels like a 5 second run. Please keep the info coming. I for one, love that sort of stuff!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haganjeff-

Out of curiousity, we're you shifting into 3rd gear before 60 doing these runs?
I'm think so. I haven't done one in a long time, so would need to try again. 3rd isn't really a issue as it's a chirp. 2nd gear is a different story. I accidentally catch a 2nd constantly!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting... I'm delaying the upshift to 3rd until after 60; so between the extra - and slower (for me anyway)- 2nd to 3rd shift, and the slower acceleration in third, 6.5 sounds reasonable.

I also have no idea how much my more aggressive tires might help over stock...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Two things. I'm glad people enjoy modding their Slingshots, for whatever reason to whatever extent. I'm also glad I can somehow wrangle a bit of enjoyment out of mine, which is stock.
Agreed. I have added a few items: baker wings, floormats, led headlights and a header/exhaust. Most were christmas gifts from family who heard me saying "wish I had a....". But I figure my enjoyment per dollar is way up there, and yours is even higher. In another post I mentioned that I had a Valkyrie for 10 years before I bought the SS. Over the years I put at least 10K (probably more) in after-market stuff- 1k for an Ultimate Seat, 1.5k for better suspension, and lotsa chrome. When I sold the low mileage, perfect condition valk my $10,000 of add-ons got me an extra $100, if that. We thought we'd keep the valk forever, and now we think we'll keep the SS forever, but you never know. Except for the header, all our SS upgrades have been (and will be) for comfort or safety. I know some people have to buy every add-on, I was like that with my Valk. But I no longer want to spend that much of my discretionary income on 0-return items. So just do what I do: think that a turbo charger would be nice, but she's plenty fast and your fun per dollar can't be beat!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Stickier tire will help of course, and the pavement you are on will make a difference. Aslphalt, tar/gravel and concrete all have different effects.

So a bit of data to go along with that, if you go to the other site, you will see a thread about DDM Works setting a 1 mile record of 159 mph. That may not sound like a lot to some folks, but we don't have the best aerodynamics of vehicles. DDM 1/2 mile was 143. This was all from a dead start.

Traction was not ideal at the 1 mile event, and we had a head wind all weekend. Not making excuses, just giving the facts.

The 1/2 mile record is still held by Kyle of ZZP at 149. Kyle didn't run a 1 mile, so we don't know if he could have pushed higher.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
If you did a 0-60 in 3.9, I havta ask: did you MEAN to go cross country with it? ;)
Had to go from CO to Michigan to get the 4 wheel conversion...so yes? lol

·
Registered
3 Posts

Try 2nd gear starts @3000 rpm. This might help,it helped me. 1st gear starts just burn rubber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try 2nd gear starts @3000 rpm. This might help,it helped me. 1st gear starts just burn rubber.

Haha, yep 1st gear starts burn rubber... But 2nd gear starts burn clutch... Does anyone else smell burned clutch the moment you do anything other than the gentlest of starts?

·
Registered
116 Posts
If I slip my clutch even the slightest I can smell the clutch burn. It gets really bad when you have to start on a steep hill.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts