Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a follow up thread to this I posted last week:

http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/polaris-response-to-engine-revs-stalls.1850/

I picked up my Slingshot today from the dealership. The dream team at Louisiana Power Sports did the 500-mile sevice plus whatever magic that visiting Polaris engineer performed. Did a 55-mile cruise today with ZERO stalls and ZERO high revving. As per programming, the RPM's will hold at about the place it was when I let of the throttle and push in the clutch. In other words, it doesn't just drop immediately as if the throttle was a cable & carbrator set up. When I get in sinc with the machine and just allow it to do what it does, I can perform flawless, smooth, jolt-free shifts every time. And a quick throttle blip for downshifts works just like it should. The main culprit was the mini clutch switch. Houston, we had a problem, but not any more! Thank you Polaris for caring enough to follow this forum and initiating an ongoing plan-of-action that will ultimately benefit all Slingshot owners!

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have my flame suit on......
I still dont like that it doesnt decel or drop revs as soon as I let off the gas and put the clutch in.
If I wanted an automatic Id buy something with an automatic.
Well I guess it good that they IMPROVED on the problem.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
this is a follow up thread to this I posted last week:

http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/polaris-response-to-engine-revs-stalls.1850/

I picked up my Slingshot today from the dealership. The dream team at Louisiana Power Sports did the 500-mile sevice plus whatever magic that visiting Polaris engineer performed. Did a 55-mile cruise today with ZERO stalls and ZERO high revving. As per programming, the RPM's will hold at about the place it was when I let of the throttle and push in the clutch. In other words, it doesn't just drop immediately as if the throttle was a cable & carbrator set up. When I get in sinc with the machine and just allow it to do what it does, I can perform flawless, smooth, jolt-free shifts every time. And a quick throttle blip for downshifts works just like it should. The main culprit was the mini clutch switch. Houston, we had a problem, but not any more! Thank you Polaris for caring enough to follow this forum and initiating an ongoing plan-of-action that will ultimately benefit all Slingshot owners!

View attachment 3763
I just called Polaris and they have no information on fixing this issue. Can you please provide us a case number?

Thank you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
No disrespect intended but I have to agree with Evomind on this. Even though I am not a mechanical guru, unless you were speed shifting, you would think and hope that the RPMs would drop when you let off the throttle between gear changes. Maybe I am missing something here. I guess my question is, how can the hanging RPM problem be resolved when it remains about the same when you let off the throttle? However, I still want to thank Stan for the info. Happy Holidays

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
When I get in sinc with the machine and just allow it to do what it does, I can perform flawless, smooth, jolt-free shifts every time. And a quick throttle blip for downshifts works just like it should.
I read this as being fixed, can you comment on this Stan.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Here is what Stan said....

As per programming, the RPM's will hold at about the place it was when I let of the throttle and push in the clutch. In other words, it doesn't just drop immediately as if the throttle was a cable & carbrator set up. When I get in sinc with the machine and just allow it to do what it does, I can perform flawless, smooth, jolt-free shifts every time.
So reading it, it still hangs up there, maybe not as long IDK, but he adjusted his driving style to accommodate the lazy decel and he has smooth shifts now.
I can do that with mine now...Put the clutch in, count 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, 3 mississippi and shift. :)
How many mississippis do you count to, Stan?
:)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would prefer that it rev only when I push on the gas pedal . And that it drops revs as soon as I get off the gas. I really dont think I need the help !!!!!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First, I do not have a case number, as I never filed one. Polaris read my posting on this forum and personally assessed my unit.

When I let off the throttle and push in the clutch (simultaneously) the rpm's will hold steady for 2-3 seconds, allowing for a perfect & seamless shift into the next gear. If I'm coming to a stop and do the same thing, the rpm's will hold steady (waiting for the shift) but when it realizes I'm not shifting, it falls down to idle. So basically, there's a brief delay in returning to idle. I realize there is both pro's & cons to this setup. But since I'm powerless to change it, I have decided to work with it and get synchronized. It works like a charm when I do. My opinion is that Polaris implemented the safest means to everyday driving as possible. This minimizes a loss of control on a wet road while shifting in a turn (worst case scenario)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
First, I do not have a case number, as I never filed one. Polaris read my posting on this forum and personally assessed my unit.

When I let off the throttle and push in the clutch (simultaneously) the rpm's will hold steady for 2-3 seconds, allowing for a perfect & seamless shift into the next gear. If I'm coming to a stop and do the same thing, the rpm's will hold steady (waiting for the shift) but when it realizes I'm not shifting, it falls down to idle. So basically, there's a brief delay in returning to idle. I realize there is both pro's & cons to this setup. But since I'm powerless to change it, I have decided to work with it and get synchronized. It works like a charm when I do. My opinion is that Polaris implemented the safest means to everyday driving as possible. This minimizes a loss of control on a wet road while shifting in a turn (worst case scenario)
Oh. Ok. Would you be willing to find us a way to reference your fix so we can try to get ours fixed too. My dealer was not willing to help me nor does Polaris customer service since they have no info yet. Thank you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My dealer was not willing to help me nor does Polaris customer service since they have no info yet. Thank you.
Doesn't say a whole heck of a lot for your dealer's customer service, service after the sale, or every day integrity of taking care of their customers.
Who was your dealer again?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just picked it up yesterday, so I'm sure that's not enough time for Polaris to create a problem/solution bulletin yet.

My mini clutch switch had a sheared wire. So it ran weird, crazy, and downright scary at times. After replacing that switch, I'm good to go. If Polaris did more, such as reflash etc, I'm not aware of it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Call John at Louisiana Power Sports (318) 949-2467

He's the service mgr that spent the day with the visiting Polaris engineer. If anyone could tell you what exactly went down, he could.

·
Registered
686 Posts
When I let off the throttle and push in the clutch (simultaneously) the rpm's will hold steady for 2-3 seconds...
2 -3 sec is a long time; are you sure you're counting that right - i.e "one thousand one, one thousand two...?

A normal (some might say leisurely) shift takes about a sec or so.

Also, I don't see how you can get a smooth shift if the rpm doesn't drop, because it takes lower rpm to match the higher gear.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts