Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi slingshot reader's
I am changing my stock radio to a double din radio, but any ideas on how to stop the engine heat coming up and on back of the radio. I read that these radio run hot as it is, So any ideas will be helpful thank you
Be safe and hope 2021 will be better for us to enjoy riding again.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I thought I had heard the 2020+ models had some insulation, but I may be mistaken. I'm unfamiliar with the 2nd gen Slingshot radio area, but there have been several threads about sealing off the radio area in the gen 1 models and they may offer some help. I wrote up what I did, but I must admit that after several years I seem to notice a little more heat seeping back in, but that may be thru the pedal areas and not from the radio area. Several other folks have also written up what they did. See - Insulating the Infotainment Cubby Area From Engine.... Also try this search - Search results for query: radio heat insulation.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2020 R Autodrive
77 Posts
On my 2020 R you can not reach the radio area through the firewall. That opening is blocked off about 4" in. The installer at my dealer said this is a change in 2020 that he doesn't like. I agreed when I was trying to install the assy post on the dash. Maybe that could be filled with some insulation. Don

·
Registered
87 Posts
My thinking. Maybe run some air duct to post some fresh air
My logic with the hood vent is as follows:
Currently with the sealed hood, heat in the upper engine really has nowhere to go. The vented hood insert should initiate a venturi effect similar to how a carburetor works. Air passing along the hood insert would create negative pressure forcing air that is running underneath the Sling upwards pushing out the heated air.
Oddly enough with the amount of vented hooded inserts available I've not seen any comparisons of engine compartment temps with and without them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts