Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this deep down in a thread, but thought it might be good to start a separate thread.

For these dealers that are adamant that "Polaris says we have to keep them" and the "We've delivered 5 already" style lies. Is there ever any repercussions for them in relation to their status with Polaris? How about those that took deposits telling people that they are Tier 1 and they are not?

For me, thankfully my dealer was awesome and always said "I have no clue" and kept me updated. But all the things I hear here we have so many truly dishonest scumbags out there I'm curious if there is any route to resolution?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with both, its just so unfortunate that people have to wade through a sea of crazy just to find out if a dealer is honest. (Yes i know many aren't, but you get the idea...)

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
At some point, it appears that Polaris was telling dealers to keep at least one Slingshot for demo purposes. There has been lots of confusion about this issue. My dealer rep initially said they intended to sell the Slingshots as fast as they got them and saw no point in keeping a demo when someone wanted to buy it. I later received a phone call saying he had been told they were supposed to keep at least one demo. I place the blame on Polaris for poor communications. This is certainly not the only thing Polaris has done a poor job of communicating on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I take all blame off Polaris when polaris calls my dealer and tells them they can sell them but they choose to keep two. I understand keeping one for display. Would make sense to keep the SL to show features, but they won't deliver the SS I ordered. Like I said above, it doesn't matter, and I never have to do business with them again. I would pull my deposit and go elsewhere if I didn't have to get in another line.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Fact is this... My dealer got 2 units. Polaris calls these profile units. More or less, get them to dealers so people can see them and buy them. However, the dealers have the choice to keep them or sell them. My dealer told me they have to keep them, I called Polaris CS and they said the dealer could sell them and called the dealer while I was on hold. The dealer lied to me, they don't have to keep them, they want to. I'd be very upset if I didn't live in the Chicagoland area and I was missing out on driving time. But I'm not, and polaris has said that all presold orders would be filled by end of year. So does it matter that I'm first on the list at a dealer that has two units and won't sell me one. Yes, it bothers me. But only to the extent that they have it sitting in their showroom versus me having one sitting in my garage. After this purchase they have lost a customer forever. They have purpose to keep it for display, I have purpose to never buy from them and trash them to no end considering the amount of business I've brought them. See, everything works out as it should. Now please don't purchase anything from Nielsens in Lake Villa, Il.

Interesting.
Im dealing with Woodstock Powersport and they are charging 960 freight. When I pressed them on that freight charge they told me the Polaris rep told them specifically not to under cut Nielsens. (I am assuming Nielsens is charging freight?) I pointed out that legally they can charge whatever they wanted to and maybe it would be a good move business wise to under cut Nielsens, they told me maybe, but not good to go against Polaris.
Whatever.
From the start I have a feeling that there are a lot of politics going on behind the scenes regardless of the "poor communication."
Perhaps "poor communication" hides the bad politics and questionable business practices by Polaris and their dealership network.
Who knows?
Im #1 on the list for a gray one, as the first gray one in is being kept as a demo. Shocking, eh?
Ill get it sometime this winter so I really no longer care about Polaris' communication gaps, the politics, the questionable dealers, and the general whore house feeling this all gives me.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Sounds like that dealer is phallusing you around.
Not really, at least not anymore than expected.
They told me in August they were going to keep the first gray as a demo, and were upfront in what they were charging, however they keep telling me they are NOT upcharging, only charging what Polaris is charging them and I keep pointing out that the 960 is already included in the MSRP.
It wasnt until I saw the demo and made a comment abt the 960 frt charge, and the usual "only charging what Polaris charges us" response that I asked to see the invoice and if the 960 was in addition to the MSRP I would pay 960 double, and if it IS already included they would take it out then I got the "we cant under cut Nielsens response.
Ok, whatever. The price is the price I guess and I can pay it or walk.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I take all blame off Polaris when polaris calls my dealer and tells them they can sell them but they choose to keep two. I understand keeping one for display. Would make sense to keep the SL to show features, but they won't deliver the SS I ordered. Like I said above, it doesn't matter, and I never have to do business with them again. I would pull my deposit and go elsewhere if I didn't have to get in another line.
I was told their deposit are non-refundable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You know, I have no idea why any dealer would keep a base as a demo. It doesn't have all the features available, whereas the SL does. It's simple logic to keep an SL for show. Yeah, for just a little more, this is what you could have!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My price from Nielsens is retail plus $250-$300 for freight. I can't remember the exact amount, but I think it's $295. I've bought many vehicles from them and have never paid retail, but the slingshot is popular now. Don't think it will be that way for long. However, I'm willing to bet they do a price increase mid year. I got Nielsen's first Honda Grom at a discount, 4 months later Honda raised retail $200 on a $3000 unit. Trendy units have price increases.

And... My deposit is refundable for any reason. I'd love to pull it just for purpose, but I don't want to restart the process or pay more for freight elsewhere.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I asked this deep down in a thread, but thought it might be good to start a separate thread.

For these dealers that are adamant that "Polaris says we have to keep them" and the "We've delivered 5 already" style lies. Is there ever any repercussions for them in relation to their status with Polaris? How about those that took deposits telling people that they are Tier 1 and they are not?

For me, thankfully my dealer was awesome and always said "I have no clue" and kept me updated. But all the things I hear here we have so many truly dishonest scumbags out there I'm curious if there is any route to resolution?
So you want repercussions for what is basically a car dealer lying to you? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sadly dealers say and do what they want; whether it be a car; motorcycle; etc. if you catch them at a lie; they either cover it up with another lie or say you can take it or leave it. With the initial scarcity of the SS; they know they will always have another buyer/sucker to take your place. How many forum members have paid thousands over msrp just to be one of the first to get one? My dealer has advertised on his website: We Never Charge Freight or Set Up Fees" on any of our vehicles. If their was a freight charge ;then all the dealers would be charging the same price for it. My concern is "will the dealers do the warranty work on a timely basis?" Since most of them sell snowmobiles; motorcycles and four wheelers; will they have the space and the time to repair problems with the SS. This will be my first question before I sign on the dotted line. After waiting for months to get one; I sure as hell don't want to wait months while they're fixing it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I keep telling myself - Remember, these are essentially 'Car Dealers'. EXPECT to be lied to. It helps for about an hour, then I get pissed again.

If you happened to get an honest one, consider yourself lucky. There are a few.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Most Dealers are going to charge whatever the buying public will pay. There are many dealers all across the USA that do not charge freight and setup fees. Just make phone calls and you will find them.
Many dealers give us confusing information mainly because Polaris gives them confusing and misleading information. Most dealers are only relaying information to us that they are getting. Polaris woke up one day back in the first of August when they realized they have a hot product with lots of orders and they had no units on hand to ship. There was no warehouse full of units waiting for orders. That was a lie. It was a figment of a wild imagination designed to mislead all of us that had placed deposits. Six (6 ) members that have taken possession have reported to this forum the sticker manufacture date of their units. There are 4 made in November and 2 made in October.
I find this very strange not to find the first units made in August and September. What we might find is none were produced during those months. At the big show in Spirit Lake a Polaris VP stated that the factory was producing 35 units/day. I seriously do not believe that number. This forum more than likely has the largest group of buyers in all the USA and Canada. There are less than 30 members that have taken possession of units so far. A dismal small amount.
The release of information these past three of four months has been orchestrated by Polaris to be confusing. And it is still about as clear as mud.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The $960 freight is not part of MSRP. Polaris announced MSRP and told dealers there would be a freight charge.
Keep in mind, for some dealerships, this was a big initial cost for them to sell Slingshot. First they had to dedicate a showroom space for them, and then purchase nearly $15K in fixtures, on vehicles, at best, dealers have only seen two of each, to date.

I don't want to involve myself in inter-dealer pricing issues on the forum, as each dealership in every part of the country is different, but I did want to clarify the $960, and that it is not a made up charge or secret deal.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts