Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by Sling Razor's SS, I wish to do the same for Slingky. So I'd like the wheels on currently

Slingky Wing v2 07.jpg
to closer look like this
slingrazor2.jpg

I'm considering using the Krylon canned spray paint method as shown on multiple youtube videos but if anyone's got suggestions I'm all ears

·
Registered
365 Posts
You can paint wheels pretty easily. We did my daughters Jeep Renegade and they still look great. Little bit of elbow grease, but nothing you can't handle.

Tools you'll need:
  • Tire Valve Tool : From Amazon or any auto parts store.
  • 3x5 Index cards: From Target, Walmart, etc.
  • Lots of fine grit sand paper. At least 1 full sheet for each wheel.
  • Good Quality Wheel Paint from any auto parts store.
  • Blue painters tape
  1. Pull wheels off safely.
  2. Remove tire valve core to let all the air out.
  3. Wash wheels with a lot of dish soap - Dawn works great. Make sure to get the inside too.
  4. Scuff up the entire wheel to be painted. Just scuffing, not sanding down to bare metal. Make sure to really pay attention to all corners. This is the longest step but good prep = great paint job.
  5. Wash the wheels again. I used an air compressor to blow out water in all the nooks and cranies.
  6. Slide the index cards between the wheel and the tire. Plenty of video's on YouTube: Heres one.
  7. Tape around tire valve stem.
  8. Double wipe the tire again. I used a microfiber towel.
  9. Lay the tires in a well ventilated area: I just did it on my driveway with some craft paper underneath.
  10. Spray LIGHT coats coming from all angles. Seriously, your first coat shouldn't even cover the entire wheel. Look for breaks in the paint from left over grease/dirt/brake dust. If you found some, you'll have to start at #3 again.
  11. Let each coat tack up really well - 15-30 mins depending on temperature/weather.
  12. Keep spraying LIGHT coats until you run out of paint.
My daughter used 2 cans of paint on 4 wheels. We even had just enough left over to do a touch up when we put the wheels back on the vehicle. Easy peasy and looks great.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Powder coated wheels will be much more durable than painted wheels. Painted wheels can chip easily. I bought a set of used wheels in 2018 and just laying in my trailer they lost a decent amount of paint during the 1000 miles or so they were on the trailer.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,801 Posts
If you want to switch up a lot...look in to Plasti-dip. Make sure you use the Metalizer. Makes the wheel go from cartoonish ricer to actually a good looking wheel.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
If you want to switch up a lot...look in to Plasti-dip. Make sure you use the Metalizer. Makes the wheel go from cartoonish ricer to actually a good looking wheel.
Plasti-dip should be more durable and easier to touch-up, if needed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone's recommendations regarding color options. ultimately, I simply decided for the spray paint option. For one costs, it's so much cheaper than powder coating. Whether it's better, i'll find out soon enough. Second, tire wear- the front two tires are halfway gone already and since I'll be replacing them soon enough, this choice will factor in on whether i have the wheel powder coated, chromed, or professionally done once its time.

So far though, i like the look

1 - 16 of 16 Posts