Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
hi all,

Going to get calipers powder coated and the black ebrake assembly is impossible to get off. Any suggestions?
I used a little two jaw puller when I did mine. Just back the nut off until it's flush with the end of the shaft before you do it. That way it won't muck up the threads. On the whole, removing that bracket was one of the easier things on the caliper. Wait until you have to remove the snap ring waay at the bottom of the caliper. What a bitch! Plus, you will most likely have to replace the dust boot on the piston. It took a few tries to come up with the correct boot/seal aftermarket kit before I got the right one. The part# is in the photo. Otherwise you'll have to spend$50/60 to get the Polaris ones
The ones in the photo are around $5 on Amazon. You'll have to get a ball lift kit from Polaris though. There is an o-ring that the ebrake shaft passes through that you'll have to replace. On mine I had to replace the snap ring. It was broken in half. Not sure if it was that way or somehow I broke it.
When I reassembled it, I reused the original o-ring and the damn thing leaked! I don't know why I didn't put the new o-ring in, but I had to take it all apart again in order to replace it. I wish you luck, but looking back, I think I would have just painted them, lol. If you need any talk through, let me know, and I'll do the best I can to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a little two jaw puller when I did mine. Just back the nut off until it's flush with the end of the shaft before you do it. That way it won't muck up the threads. On the whole, removing that bracket was one of the easier things on the caliper. Wait until you have to remove the snap ring waay at the bottom of the caliper. What a bitch! Plus, you will most likely have to replace the dust boot on the piston. It took a few tries to come up with the correct boot/seal aftermarket kit before I got the right one. The part# is in the photo. Otherwise you'll have to spend$50/60 to get the Polaris ones
The ones in the photo are around $5 on Amazon. You'll have to get a ball lift kit from Polaris though. There is an o-ring that the ebrake shaft passes through that you'll have to replace. On mine I had to replace the snap ring. It was broken in half. Not sure if it was that way or somehow I broke it.
When I reassembled it, I reused the original o-ring and the damn thing leaked! I don't know why I didn't put the new o-ring in, but I had to take it all apart again in order to replace it. I wish you luck, but looking back, I think I would have just painted them, lol. If you need any talk through, let me know, and I'll do the best I can to help.
Interesting... This sucks because I found a powder color I really like, so if I paint the back and coat the front, they won't match. If I powder them all, I'm sure I'll be shelling out more money to fix parts that break while taking off the assembly... It really is unbelievable how these manufacturers make this stuff so damn difficult... Not sure which way I'll go now, but I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Interesting... This sucks because I found a powder color I really like, so if I paint the back and coat the front, they won't match. If I powder them all, I'm sure I'll be shelling out more money to fix parts that break while taking off the assembly... It really is unbelievable how these manufacturers make this stuff so damn difficult... Not sure which way I'll go now, but I will keep you posted.
I know it sounded discouraging, what I posted, but it is just the rear caliper that is a problem child. The front ones are a piece of cake to take apart. And by using the Raybesto part number for the boot and seal kits, at $5-6 dollars a wheel, that saves guite a chunk of change. The only Polaris part you'll have to get will be that ball lift kit I mentioned. In that kit you get all the parts that will need replacing. Both that little seal for the shaft and the snap ring are included with it. You may not brake the snap ring, but I would replace it anyway. Another thing, on the rear caliper you have to unscrew the piston out. At least as far as it will go, before you blow it out the rest of the way out of the bore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Will that raybestos part work to replace a 2017 piston boot and seal on a rear caliper? Won't need anything else?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts