Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere on this forum about buying led headlights off ebay for those of us on a budget. I did, and they are 'plug & play'. I installed all 4 in 20 minutes, no splicing. So here's my question: There is a large rubber boot/cover on the 2 outside headlights. The heat sink on my ebay lights is larger than the ones I see advertised on SS sites. It seems 'wrong' to put that dust boot over the heat sink. I could not find any reference to that, all the installation videos I've seen show putting the boot back on. Has anyone left the boots off, or modified them to allow ventilation? I've also seen the posts about bending down a bracket inside the outer headlights (I have a '15), and other posts that said don't. Any comments on that?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I cut holes in the back of mine to allow air flow to the fans on the LED's.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would (did) remove the boot. Most LEDs using heat sinks and fans to keep the bulb cool. The rubber would prevent all that. I even tried cutting out a 1" donut on the back of the boot to allow the LED fan to push air through, but realized that it had no where to pull the air from, so no cooling.

I used the stock wire bracket and just bent the spring wires around the new bulbs. Takes a little patience (and a very pointy awl) to get the spring to seat back into it's locks, but they've held for the couple of months I've had them. I did see someone else who just used Sam Owens' push-in method from his video lose a light so I don't trust the friction to hold the bulb in.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I, too, removed the boots for better air flow from the LED bulb's cooling fan.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I actually laid the boots on top where they could not touch the light/heat sink. I'm going out right now to enjoy the new lights and see if they need aiming. Tomorrow I'll cut the boots off. Thanks again!

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can just cut the smaller or larger rings out of the back of the boot and you should have plenty of airflow for cooling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drove around for quite a while last night. What a difference! This morning I removed the boots, cuz I will never go back to stock lights anyway. I read several posts about bending down the tabs inside the outside lights. Most said the lights are much brighter but some said they were so bright that oncoming cars flashed them. So I bent down the tab on just the passenger side this morning. I'll take her out tonight and see if there's a difference. Thank again for the replies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you ride in the rain, the boots serve an important purpose. As you may notice those lights are right in line with the tire, which will be dumping massive amounts of water into the fan of your LED. That is why I purchased these headlight covers: https://www.rshotaccessories.com/blank-2/led-style-headlight-wiring-covers-in-stock-now . They fit nicely and protect the back of the lights while giving them room to breathe. I did not care for the plastic fasteners and replaced them with a couple of riv-nuts and bolts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you techkraut. I hadn't thought about water from the tires. Fortunately I live in the AZ desert, and rain is a rare occurrence. The covers are a bit pricey. I'll pop the hood when I get home and see if I can't manufacture a cover of some type. I'm not big on looks under the hood- I only stare at the header and CAI when I open the hood!

btw, after my last post (bending down the passenger light tab) I pulled up to some store windows after dark. The passenger light was noticeably brighter than the driver side- the driver side looks like it has a horizontal 'bar' across the center. I can see why some posters said they got flashed by oncoming cars after they bent down the drivers side tab.

The led lights are a huge improvement over stock. Polaris really should have put these in as original equipment. Anyone considering the upgrade, Do It! Not an expensive upgrade on ebay (see the first post).

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I switched to LED bulbs sometime in 2016 after trying some HID units. At the time I switched to LED, I didn't re-install the boots. That means the boots have been missing for 3+ years now and the LED bulbs still work fine. The only drawback I've noticed is some rust on the fan housing. Using some type of baffle to minimize exposure of the rear of the LED bulbs certainly wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Take a look at the rotation of the bulbs. Most LED bulbs are designed so that they float inside the mounting ring - meaning that the actual barrel of the bulb can be rotated within the collar. If you have the style of bulb that has elements on both sides of a blade (almost like a large flat screwdriver), you should rotate the bulbs so that the line is vertical when installed with the lights to either side for this application.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmmm I may remove my boots as well. I put a few small holes for air but have had zero problems riding in 100 degree weather for hours at a time. I have the sling mod bulbs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts