Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the TD roof bars installed at the Maggie Valley SS rally they did not have the canvas roof in stock had to order and ship it but they did install the Velcro on the bars. The problem now or the velcro is not in the proper places is off a lot. The dealer shipped more velcro but are now is telling me they do not advice tryin to remove and replace it because it may damage the powder coating. Has anybody replace the velcro or have advice in doing so.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the opposite problem. My top is black and after long periods in the sun things got pretty warm and the glue holding the Velcro would come loose. I ended up using cable ties to hold the velcro in place. My point is try heating them with a hair dryer and see if they won't peel off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you still have the glue on the bars or did it come of with the velcro? I don't know for sure but I am thinking that is what the TD company is afraid will damage the powder coating if I try to clean the glue so the new velcro will stick.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
3M sells an adhesion promoter that helps the tape stick.. It's available from a variety of sources. Try Googling 3M adhesion promoter.
I had the dges of my velcro tape start to loosen and also used small cable ties to help hold the edges down. Just make sure that the locking mechanism of the cable tie is placed where it will not be under the canvas when the canvas is attached. If under the canvas, the extra thickness of the mechanism will slowly wear holes in the canvas. I bought some black iron-on patches that I plan on using to reinforce the worn canvas sections, but I need to buy an iron and board first!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I think I have seen that adhesive promoter. You guys have said you were using cable ties how are you mounting the to the canvas and around the bars ? Cut holes in the canvas then around the pipe ? It's sounds like this will be a thing to come in time. kodiakcanvas does have a canvas patch kit that uses a fabric glue if that helps.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
Thanks I think I have seen that adhesive promoter. You guys have said you were using cable ties how are you mounting the to the canvas and around the bars ? Cut holes in the canvas then around the pipe ? It's sounds like this will be a thing to come in time. kodiakcanvas does have a canvas patch kit that uses a fabric glue if that helps.
I'll go take a picture and add it to this post.
OK, I just added some annotated pics on using & positioning cable ties to help keep the Velcro taped pads in place. be careful that the cable tie clamps don't cause wear on the canvas top.
Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

I've used the cable tie solution for much longer than I originally intended to (at least 2+ years). like I posted earlier, I found some large black denim iron-on patches which I hope to iron inside the canvas top as a fix for the wear caused by the cable tie clamps. I plan on removing the canvas top and replacing the Velcro tape at some point and will also used the 3M adhesion promoter in hopes of achieving a permanent bond. The other option is buying a replacement canvas top for around $250.
If you want to try this, I do NOT recommend making holes in the canvas and feeding the cable ties theu the holes and around the top's frame members. While doing this may helpclamp the canvas in place, I also believe it will contribute to the canvas tearing at some point in the future. The canvas top is supposed to be easily removed by carefully pulling the canvas away from the Velcro tape. Since the top's frame is powder-coated, removing the old Velcro tape, cleaning off any old adhesive and then applying the new Velcro tape should not have any detrimental effects on the powder-coating. Before removing the old Velcro Tape, make sure you mark the areas where the new tape needs to be placed for a proper fit and try to preserve any marks that show where you want to apply the new Velcro tape.
Hope this helps. Good Luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the pictures yeah now I see what you guys are doing to keep it together . If this is a problem the design using velcro is poor maybe using something like metal snaps in the canvas and pipes would work better and last longer. Jump on it somebody there's a small business to start up $$$. Thanks guys we just got the SS this year so finding out what people are running into is a help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMG_20210630_141034094.jpg
Blue bars black velcro out of position stands out. I had hoped that after it was on for a while I could position the cover over some but time hasn't helped

·
Registered
111 Posts
Did you still have the glue on the bars or did it come of with the velcro? I don't know for sure but I am thinking that is what the TD company is afraid will damage the powder coating if I try to clean the glue so the new velcro will stick.
They came off clean with no residue. FYI - Goof Off or WD40 both do a good job of removing residue without damaging the surface.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine are mounted the same as BKL posted. No problem with them like that.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
The TD Top initially came with snaps, but then switched to the Velcro tape. The Velcro makes it relatively easy to get the canvas tight, especially compared to snaps where placing the snaps on the frame and the canvas to get a tight fit can be more of a hit or miss. If they were making thousands of the tops, I'd assume they'd eventually get placement worked out, but not easily done on low-volume production. The Velcro is much more flexible in placement for a good fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice guys. From what you both have ran into It may be best for me to hold on to the replacement velcro they sent me and let time take it's effects on what is there. I was worried that the top did not have enough surface to stay locked in place but so far it's held okay. Thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the same experience with the glued velcro strip sliding and pealing off my TD bars. To resolve this I gave up the adhesive bonding method to keep the velcro in place. Instead I picked up some velcro from a person that builds custom canvas tops for boating and riveted it into place on the bar. If you choose this ******* solution, make sure to wrap the velcro around a strip of metal before riveting it to the bar. I used a strip of stainless steal about the same gauge of a coffee can. This will hold the fabric tight between the bar and the metal strip. I did this in 2017, put around 30k highway miles on it since the fix and still holding tight. Sorry for the photo quality, the black on black just doesn’t contrast. Good luck
FD9BCAC8-FB50-4925-B365-15016B910CBE.jpeg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now your building something with some endurance to last longer. I was trying to think of something uusing something like 1/4 split PVC the stainless steel will fit closer. It's really stupid to pay $1500 for somthing and have to rebuild it to have something you can use and keep for any time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agreed, expecting an adhesive to stand up against high temperatures, and highway wind loads is a bit optimistic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
But having said that I really like the TD top. Through this one failing the top has stood the test of time, 5 years, and has made touring in the Slingshot much more comfortable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts