Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we took delivery Wednesday, tried to register Thursday onl y to find out some PNG (pencil neck geek) in the Goverment Insurance office decidied the SS is a vehilce, because riders are side by side. The factory documentaion does not show motor size in CC's as required for bikes in BC

We get a large plate, cheaper insurance than a 2400 cc motorcycle and it raises the question DO WE HAVE TO WEAR HELMETS?

Gotta love the government

Terry

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A conversation with the RCMP this morning cleared things up ------- can drive it anywhere without an helmet rgardless of the area requlations---------someone will do it I do not think it will be me and my wife

Terry

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Well we took delivery Wednesday, tried to register Thursday onl y to find out some PNG (pencil neck geek) in the Goverment Insurance office decidied the SS is a vehilce, because riders are side by side. The factory documentaion does not show motor size in CC's as required for bikes in BC

We get a large plate, cheaper insurance than a 2400 cc motorcycle and it raises the question DO WE HAVE TO WEAR HELMETS?

Terry
LOL , Tery
You must have been laughing your a** off

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the British Columbia ICBC Insurance now appears to have taken a 360 degree t;urn and the old devil money is at the root

They will register it as a Motorcycle and rate it as high performance because of motor size (must be faster than the 600 cc Crotch Rocket) and charge accordingly the rates are VERY hi my wife and I will stick with the cheap auto insurance as losng as we can.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just registered our SL today at Schill insurance ( Vancouver), and ICBC told them it had to be registered as a declared value car. Our mthly payment is $237, but no helmets or MC license required. Good ol' ICBC indeed!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife's co worker in Victoria has his registered as a motorcycle as others have seems to vary by insurance broker typical gov't run business no one knows and no one cares

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just got a call from our insurance company here in Vancouver (Schill).
ICBC told them that they want the unit to be registered as a car, but will allow it to be insured as a bike. Sounds good to me!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JUst updated insurance continued with car plates--my wife gets highest % reduction because of record so way cheaper than a bike

·
Registered
51 Posts
So do you need a helmet or not?

In bellingham wa but want to take up to whistler and vancouver when weather permits

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can't honestly answer that, because although our SS has been registered as a car, I've also seen others here registered as motorcycles. Which means that our DMV hasn't yet got their sh_t together on these things.

As we've got helmet laws here, if you got stopped without using helmets, and your SS is registered as a bike, they could cite you.
That being said, it's a big 'if'.

We ride around here all the time without helmets, and have never been stopped.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crossedd the border into the US took my helmet off and the guard asked me why I had it, as an auto registered vehicle does not need a helmet

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah I was wondering what the border guys would say about helmets. It's all in the way the SS is registered.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No helmet here....got it last week, and no issues at all.
It is registered as a car.
Should have mentioned, I am in Surrey BC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just registered our SL today at Schill insurance ( Vancouver), and ICBC told them it had to be registered as a declared value car. Our mthly payment is $237, but no helmets or MC license required. Good ol' ICBC indeed!
I realize this is an old thread... Should be getting delivery on a 2016 SL any day now at Comox Rentals and Sports Equipment. I've gotten an insurance quote before placing a deposit and it's $ 1647.00 with full a discount for a North Island location. My question for you is what did you do in regard to mounting the full size plate for the front? I'm doubtful laying flat on the front wing is Traffic Act compliant and anything else seems to me would be simply butt ugly... Wonder what the fine is for running without one...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I realize this is an old thread... Should be getting delivery on a 2016 SL any day now at Comox Rentals and Sports Equipment. I've gotten an insurance quote before placing a deposit and it's $ 1647.00 with full a discount for a North Island location. My question for you is what did you do in regard to mounting the full size plate for the front? I'm doubtful laying flat on the front wing is Traffic Act compliant and anything else seems to me would be simply butt ugly... Wonder what the fine is for running without one...

I'm in Mission an have gone threw a couple radar guns an a couple other times past cops on the beat down town an so far they just smile. I think there to busy checking out the slingshot to even think about the front plate. Anyways I think if I do get a fine I'll just pay it, there's no where to mount it without drilling an that's not happening, lol
My front plate is in the glove box.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have my front plate mounted in front of my rear plate on the rear...decal visible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in Mission an have gone threw a couple radar guns an a couple other times past cops on the beat down town an so far they just smile. I think there to busy checking out the slingshot to even think about the front plate. Anyways I think if I do get a fine I'll just pay it, there's no where to mount it without drilling an that's not happening, lol
My front plate is in the glove box.
I'm thinkin' you have the right idea, a glove box liner :O)

·
Registered
45 Posts

Terry
No. You do not have to wear a helmet. I have been driving mine since May 2015 and never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts