Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

381 - 400 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
... no caps, and debris in the reservoir
Incredibly, which I stressed to them so it doesn't happen to someone else.
Guess what I'll be checking before I leave that shop. This happened to me once years ago with a transmission plug at an Oil Can Hanks. Found the problem in a few days but blew the tranny 6 months later. Never been back. Glad you didn't have a bigger issue FireSling!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Got my recalls done yesterday and have a question for those who recently did the same. Prior to bringing it in, I was really happy with the stock brakes having added the alpha master cylinder brace. The brakes engaged very firmly but you eased into the brakes upon peddle push and towards the end of the peddle range they were fully engaged.

After the recall service, as soon as I touch the brake peddle the brakes come on really firm/strong. Seems the peddle only moves an inch before full braking power is applied. Needless to say, they are over touchy and don't seem right to me. Curious what others have experienced after pick up.

I only drove straight home from the service which is about 4 miles surface street. If this is the new norm, I have a lot of relearning to do.

Awaiting dealer call back to inquire if they think this is the new norm.
Edit: dealer asked for my SS to return to verify. Stated the procedures leave room for some adjustment. Seems I may be at one extreme end of the procedures. Headed there now and will report back.

Edit #2: Had them adjust the throw rod and it had more play and felt normal to me. Drove it for 20 miles and the brake lights stayed on. Headed back to the dealer and they put it back. I guess this is the new norm for those with the cylinder brace. Brakes instant upon touch. Tried one without a brace and it had more play/squish room as the cylinder moved downward. Drove it 200 miles today and I can get used to it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Got my recalls done yesterday and have a question for those who recently did the same. Prior to bringing it in, I was really happy with the stock brakes having added the alpha master cylinder brace. The brakes engaged very firmly but you eased into the brakes upon peddle push and towards the end of the peddle range they were fully engaged.

After the recall service, as soon as I touch the brake peddle the brakes come on really firm/strong. Seems the peddle only moves an inch before full braking power is applied. Needless to say, they are over touchy and don't seem right to me. Curious what others have experienced after pick up.

I only drove straight home from the service which is about 4 miles surface street. If this is the new norm, I have a lot of relearning to do.

Edit: dealer asked for my SS to return to verify. Stated the procedures leave room for some adjustment. Seems I may be at one extreme end of the procedures. Headed there now and will report back.
Mine felt very firm after the procedure. I had to do the double pump thing to get furnace out of it just like other people here. So it took a little getting used to but I would rather have firm brakes than spongy ones. Breaking to me feels normal just like my truck

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
728 Posts

Just got home a little while ago with the same experience as you describe except I drove 100 freeway miles. Got use to it by the time I got home. Not a big deal for me.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I stopped by my dealer (Skagit Power Sports) but still not parts. I asked if he called Polaris and he said no, they will come when polaris is ready. I told him that many shops already have the parts but he just shrugged. I said I would still call as the squeeky wheel gets the grease but I could tell he was not interested in trying to push the process along.
That really sucks. I am sorry to hear about that. Maybe I should buy mine in Lynnwood? It sucks cause SVP is only 5 miles away form my house.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Picked up my SS today from Coleman Powersports. Recall and warranty rear angle drive leak done. I must say like the others, didn't realize how loose my steering was until after the recall. And the brakes are really good now. I didn't mind them before, but now is a difference. Only complaint, and it is way minor, was the tech left all three of the rubber caps off the brake bleed nipples, but at least I know they were bled. Other than that, very pleased.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Did we see this one from this past Tuesday?

Polaris is recalling a batch of its 2017 Slingshot models, for an issue that affects the linkage between the steering and the front suspension, which may have been insufficiently tightened, and could reduce steering and suspension performance as a result.

The recall affects the Slingshot, Slingshot SL, and Slingshot SLR models, with 254 units in total getting recalled.

According to filing documents, Polaris will notify affected owners, and Polaris dealers will replace the affected nuts and bolts by tightening them correctly, free of charge of course.

It’s not clear yet when this recall will begin, though concerned owners may contact Polaris customer service at 1-855-863-2284, and reference Polaris’ recall number: T-17-01. As always, the NHTSA is also available at 1-888-327-4236 and safercar.gov.

Source: NHTSA

·
Registered
34 Posts
Finally got my recall work done. Took a little while but guys at my shop kept me in the loop when all the parts arrived. They knocked it out yesterday in about 2 hours or so...Good jop Family Powersports in Odessa TX...

·
Registered
231 Posts
That really sucks. I am sorry to hear about that. Maybe I should buy mine in Lynnwood? It sucks cause SVP is only 5 miles away form my house.
He has already made the sale and not concerned about customer service. He should have learned by now that customer service gets repeat customers and new customers by word of mouth.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Does this mean the work on the recall has been completed?

Service Completed:
APPLIED
I was wondering the same thing as I have 2 recalls but they both say APPLIED also..............guess it would have been to hard to just put COMPLETED instead with the tech initials , to show who completed it........nah that would be to simple....

·
Registered
12 Posts
looks like there's a new series of recalls for the seat frame, released on 3/26/2018. I wonder if it's related to the fatal accident investigation that is mentioned in the general discussion sub-forum

Peter

·
Registered
738 Posts
T-18-01-D DRIVER & PASS SEAT BASE FRAMES

Posting Date: 1/2/2018 NHTSA Notified Date: 3/25/2018 Expiration Date: 1/11/2030

NHTSA Recall Number: 18V195

NHTSA Description: A SMALL NUMBER OF SLINGSHOT VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED WITH DEFECTIVE SEAT BASE FRAMES, INCLUDING ONE OR BOTH OF THE FOLLOWING ISSUES: - DRIVER-SIDE AND PASSENGER-SIDE SEATBASE FRAMES MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY MANUFACTURED, LACKING ONE OR MORE WELDS. DRIVER-SIDE SEATBASE FRAMES MAY CONTAIN A SEAT SLIDER DEFECT WHICH MAY CAUSE THE SEAT TO SLIDE WITHOUT DRIVER INPUT DURING ACCELERATION.

Safety Risk: THE ABSENCE OF ONE OR MORE WELDS CAN COMPROMISE THE STRENGTH OF THE MOUNT AND CAUSE THE SEATBACK FRAME AND/OR SEATBELT BUCKLE TO SEPARATE FROM THE SEAT BASE FRAME, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY DURING A CRASH. IF THE DRIVER LOSES CONTACT WITH THE PEDALS, THIS MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy: DEALER TO REPLACE BOTH DRIVER AND PASSENGER SEAT BASE FRAMES.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I purchased on this site the passenger seat extender but took it out immediately as I did not feel it was secure enough. My opinion may differ from others, I get it. But I’m glad I didn’t install it now as they will need to come out for the dealer to inspect it.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
T-18-01-D DRIVER & PASS SEAT BASE FRAMES

Posting Date: 1/2/2018 NHTSA Notified Date: 3/25/2018 Expiration Date: 1/11/2030

NHTSA Recall Number: 18V195

NHTSA Description: A SMALL NUMBER OF SLINGSHOT VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED WITH DEFECTIVE SEAT BASE FRAMES, INCLUDING ONE OR BOTH OF THE FOLLOWING ISSUES: - DRIVER-SIDE AND PASSENGER-SIDE SEATBASE FRAMES MAY HAVE BEEN IMPROPERLY MANUFACTURED, LACKING ONE OR MORE WELDS. DRIVER-SIDE SEATBASE FRAMES MAY CONTAIN A SEAT SLIDER DEFECT WHICH MAY CAUSE THE SEAT TO SLIDE WITHOUT DRIVER INPUT DURING ACCELERATION.

Safety Risk: THE ABSENCE OF ONE OR MORE WELDS CAN COMPROMISE THE STRENGTH OF THE MOUNT AND CAUSE THE SEATBACK FRAME AND/OR SEATBELT BUCKLE TO SEPARATE FROM THE SEAT BASE FRAME, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY DURING A CRASH. IF THE DRIVER LOSES CONTACT WITH THE PEDALS, THIS MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy: DEALER TO REPLACE BOTH DRIVER AND PASSENGER SEAT BASE FRAMES.
After talking with a dealer, this is what will happen when you take your SlingShot in for this recall:

1) The seats will be inspected as per T-18-01-A, if nothing is found to be defective the recall is signed off as being completed.
2) If the driver's seat bracket is found to be faulty, per recall T-18-01-B a new bracket will be ordered and installed on a future date.
3) If the passenger seat bracket is found to be faulty, per T-18-01-C a new bracket will be ordered for replacement and installed on a future date.
4) If both the passenger and driver's seat brackets are found to be defective, per T-18-01-D both brackets will be ordered for replacement and installed on a future date.

Bill

·
Registered
231 Posts
After talking with a dealer, this is what will happen when you take your SlingShot in for this recall:

1) The seats will be inspected as per T-18-01-A, if nothing is found to be defective the recall is signed off as being completed.
2) If the driver's seat bracket is found to be faulty, per recall T-18-01-B a new bracket will be ordered and installed on a future date.
3) If the passenger seat bracket is found to be faulty, per T-18-01-C a new bracket will be ordered for replacement and installed on a future date.
4) If both the passenger and driver's seat brackets are found to be defective, per T-18-01-D both brackets will be ordered for replacement and installed on a future date.

Bill
Do you know what year models this affects? The dealers should keep some seat frames in stock so that we don’t have to make a return trip to get them replaced. I live 90 miles from the dealer so that would require me to take another day off from work and get my wife to take the same day off to pick me
up. I’m pretty sure we would have to leave our Slingshots at least overnight to get repairs done. My dealer doesn’t get in a hurry for anything, at least that I have seen. I had a cam sensor on the exhaust valves go out and it took over 3 weeks to get one. If I had known it was going to take that long I would have just went to Autozone and bought one and installed it myself. I knew what was wrong from the engine code and it is located on top of the motor. Just unhook the wire and screw it out to replace it. I took it to the dealer because it was covered under warranty but it wasn’t worth waiting that long, especially in prime ridding weather.

381 - 400 of 428 Posts