Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Victor-eyd,
Good show. Almost did the same way. Decided to see how it would do with just having the foam filled over the attachments points. I can tell (hollow knock test), that my middle is still pretty hollow. but Solid just before the mount points and ends of both sides. Maybe a couple more holes in the bottom middle for a complete fill...
Webby

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
More investigations into the rear wing setup...

I reconsidered the "wood block" setup which is a cut piece of 2x3 is placed on the square tube frame and the mounts are screwed into that. Pics tell the story

The problem I had with this is pretty obvious. The curvature of the paneling will either force me to warp the mounts on the wings or warp the paneling itself. I'm not sure how those guys who mounted it here were able to get around this just by looking at the strut on top of the paneling was enough to make me think otherwise

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I may have found a fix for the rear wing setup.

The main problem stems form the picture above. The wing holders are positioned in an angle when mounted on the rear fiberglass panel. On a whim I stumbled upon this at home depot, black L-brackets

When I positioned on each side of the holder, I would simply bend them slightly till they were roughly parallel to the wing. I think it would work

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Slingmods is about to release a new wing mount design, the Veloce. Here are some pics and the price point actually replaces the older wing design (which is now $100 cheaper)

While I like the look and the placement, I'm more worried about where it is mounted. The center mount point (where the license plate is affixed) seems solid enough

But its the side mounts ( the clips on the either side next to the tail light) that are used that concern me. I am worried that the constant downforce stress (from the weight of the wing and the air pressure created at speed) will either bend these clips or outright snap them off.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,852 Posts
I love the new spoiler...but damn that price is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Slingmods is about to release a new wing mount design, the Veloce. Here are some pics and the price point actually replaces the older wing design (which is now $100 cheaper)

View attachment 177333 View attachment 177337 View attachment 177339

While I like the look and the placement, I'm more worried about where it is mounted. The center mount point (where the license plate is affixed) seems solid enough
View attachment 177341
But its the side mounts ( the clips on the either side next to the tail light) that are used that concern me. I am worried that the constant downforce stress (from the weight of the wing and the air pressure created at speed) will either bend these clips or outright snap them off.
Hi @victor-eyd ,

Thanks for the comment. The down-force this wing provides is negligible or neutral as it is a cosmetic enhancement. The pure carbon fiber wing is very very light, shockingly light. As for the mounting position, many of the aftermarket exhausts use ONLY the "outboard" hangars you are displaying and they are at least 2X-3X the weight of the wing and bracket combined, if not more when supporting the cans and some of the tubing. There has to be hundreds of thousands of miles logged, (if not millions) with these after market exhausts that use the same mounting locations and I never heard of an issue yet. We are using the design of this bracket to distribute the load evenly across all three mounting points. Regards, Ben

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Those clips are pretty strong, my Welter Dual exhaust mount to those clips and they are solid.

I like the look of this wing, but I'm disappointed that they are only for looks.
Hi @wokka - I understand your concern. I have yet to see a Slingshot wing (or any other aftermarket wing) that is actually engineered and designed to provide quantifiable, measured down-force and I have been in this business around 20 years. Wind tunnel testing is prohibitively expensive and most of the "generic" aftermarket wing types are used on multiple vehicles, so there are just too many variables to count. Next, most of the mounting systems are not engineered to transmit that force through the chassis, especially when they are mounted to a trunk lid etc.

I don't doubt that some of them do provide actual down-force
, but I would be exceptionally leery of any claims and that is why we won't make any. P.S. - The lion's share of OEM mass market vehicle wings are also cosmetic until you get into to upper tier of the market. Regards, Ben

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Progress progress progress...

I've decided to commit to the wood block mount and i found a couple of Simpson parts that worked perfectly

These simpson Z2 brackets are the exact width of the 2x4x8" block that I cut at an angle to fit. Then I used self drilling screws to mount them to the square tubing. A strap holds it further in place.

Finally, I'm using the black L-brackets I found at home Depot to mount the wing

Tomorrow I'll mount the newly reinforced wing ( I used steel sheet metal cut to form) and start doing some tests. Wish me luck lol

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Thanks Webby,

I'm happier with this setup than the previous one. i think what sped up the destruction of the wing was that the bracket was too flimsy under turbulence and over time the thin plastic skin of the wing just could not take the repeated stress and cracked. The new setup is way more rigid and I think will work out. Here's to hoping!

·
Registered
289 Posts
victor-eyd,
My foam filled wing is doing great! Recently added a pair of 18 in long 2 in wide 3/4 thick solid aluminum extending brackets. Drilled to mount under my touring racks and drilled to mount the wing.

I wanted to do this so I could keep my wing on, even if I was going to use my touring racks. Also, like the look of the wing set farther back.

Added some laminated US Flag samples below the rack emblems for a 3D look. Keeping with my stars and strips theme.
Webby

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks.

Yes. It is thicker aluminum, still attaches to the underside of the touring racks. Hope that the aluminum does not bend the slightest over time. Stuff is really strong. Bought it as an unfinished piece that was 3 feet long off a sellar on ebay.
Time will tell. Love the function of it now. Hope it holds up.
Now Momma can pack all her shoes for road trips!!!!

Webby

·
Registered
139 Posts
Received my new wing, from Slingshot Only and was very disappointed to find out after unpacking and inspecting the product the wing had a deep gouge into the carbon fiber that was two inches in length and one quarter wide. Also several scuff marks on the underside of the wing, leading me to believe that the wing itself was used. The end caps to the wing were obviously used; they had over tightened the screws on the end caps and had dug into the clear coat. There were no instructions or parts listing with the kit. I had to go online and pull up the photos to find out that two of the mounting spars the hold the wing to the roll bars were missing. All other hardware appears to be new and unused.

MSgt Kevin Patnode USAF

61 - 80 of 84 Posts