Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Was a stone stuck in the belt or rear pulley? Seems to me if something was stuck on the pulley that could explain the relatively short time interval between clicks. Something stuck on the belt would result in a longer time interval.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Bought an electric impact hammer that delivers 240 lb-ft of torque, figuring if it turned the rear axle nut it would get it close to spec. Also bought a 40 mm socket, but it barely fits on the nut and only about 3mm of grip IF i use a ribber hammer. Going now to look for a 1-5/8" socket which works out to 41.275mm, not 40mm.

We have two Axle nut threads. I guess nuts travel in pairs.
Seems like t would be a good idea if we had a means of placing a link that both terminated a dupe thread and also referred everyone to the correct thread. I guess it should only be embeddable by either the Thread Creator or the Admins.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Finally got a non-impact 1-5/8" socket at Oreilly's and used my 240 lb-ft impact wrench from Amazon. Nut didn't move so I assume it's close to spec. Still want to get an impact socket, though.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Catching up on some old posts -
My SS was manufactured 06/2015, does my SS have the same bearings as everyone else that are having problems? Right now I only have 500 or so miles on it and no problem so far.
Mine was made in May and I got it Jun 21st. Now have 4500 miles on it and things seem fine! (Hope I didn't just jinx it!)

Its a good thing they are sealed bearings. I'd hate to blow a seal

Reminds me of Kip Adotta

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Unfortunately, I have been hearing a clicking sound off and on for quite a while now. I just went over 16000 miles in just over 8 months. I only hope my rear end actually fails BEFORE my warranty runs out. If not, I may be buying the extended warranty.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
To me, any clicking means it already failed. It's a well enough known problem the dealer and Polaris should just deal with it now on your reporting of it even if they can't reproduce it on demand.
Like I posted earlier, the noise has been there off and on for several months. I guess I'd better call my dealer before any significant damage is done.
Just emailed my dealer and gave them several links to rear axle noise videos on YouTube.Also mentioned I'm not overly fond of the idea of leaving it while they get parts, etc. Hopefully, I can ride it until the repair parts are in.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
MY dealer is just over 100 miles away, so I'd rather drive in once parts are available, if at all possible. I guess it depends on whether or not they disassemble the rear end to inspect before making decision.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I hope the clicking I've been hearing is indeed just the belt. I heard it for awhile after purchase and then it went away. It came back just after my 15K miles service. The mechanic mentioned my belt was still in spec when he checked the Slingshot. I'm still concerned it's the bearing and not the belt. I checked my single axle nut and it still looks to have not moved significantly from the mark I made after purchase.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
It seems far too many Service managers regard ALL forums as rumor mills and general PITAs! What could a few thousand forum members possibly know compared to Polaris' phenomenal eXpERt knowledge.;)

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
There is alternatives, it is not cheaper nor is it by Polaris. I currently have @Bob Runman fix installed with almost 3000 miles on it. After another few thousand miles I will disassemble and inspect. Bob's fix is with a sealed ball bearing which rolls much easier and with none of the crunching and grounding sounds of the needle bearing.
Is this listed on any website(s)?

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Hello everybody! I am new to the forum and a happy 2018 Polaris Slingshot S owner with 540 miles on it! I am very happy and enjoying the vehicle except my SS started to make a weird metal click? or ting or cling sound only once when take off on1st gear or rarely on 2nd gear. So let say I am either starting to take off or stop after an acceleration and take off, it does that one 'click' or 'ting' noise and doesn't do it afterwards. I have read so many posts on here regarding rear bearing problems, sprocket noise, U joint noise etcs but I don't think mine is those problems. Mine is 2018 so it already came with double axle nut with right torque. It is pretty weird because it only makes that noise not all the time, but once a while like very 20 min or so. It does it more often after an hard acceleration by the way. I believe it is coming from the rear brake area. Can anyone relate to this problem? I don't think it is a big deal but I am started to get little worried since it is a brand new vehicle. Thank you guys! and love you all :)
Have your dealer check it out. Hopefully, it's nothing more than a suspension-related component shifting as the CoG shifts during acceleration/deceleration.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
This is just a guess, but check to see if your parking brake mechanism or other brake components is securely tightened. I wonder if something is just loose enough to shift a little and maybe make that noise.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
BKL, thank you for the reply! I will try to tighten up the brake components! Are all the bolts for brake components have to be tightened up with certain specific torques or can I just hand tighten them up?
Different bolts should be torqued to different tightnesses depending on the fastener. In this case, you might get by just checking to make sure things are tight. Google "polaris slingshot torque specs" and you should find some charts.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
I once heard a loud bang from the rear of my 2015 Base model Slingshot. I was never totally sure where it came from, but I think it was my parking brake mechanism shifting position.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
The fact you only seem to hear it once on acceleration & deceleration makes me think it's something that's relatively tight, but just loose enough to shift. If you don't see anything that might need tightening up, and nobody else offers any suggestions about a possible cause, I'd have the dealer check it, just to be safe. You're still under warranty, so it won't cost you to have the dealer check it (other than finding the time to go to the dealer). It may clear up before your next visit, but I'd have it checked at some point. Have you had the 500 mile service done yet? If yes, did the noise start just after the service?

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Yeup, I have had 500 mile service and indeed noise started after the service. I know I drove like a baby until 500 mile service then soon as I got it done I drove home like I stole it. Maybe that unleashed the noise? :woot: I clearly remember that the noise started after I did an hard acceleration
Makes me think either something shifted or they made a boo-boo.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
If you don't mind the noise, don't worry about it, but I'd still recommend having the dealer check it at the next service or the next time you visit the dealer, just to be safe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts