Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please assist me in measuring the stock camera on the SL model? I need to know the width of the camera and how it attaches (stays) in the housing.

I want to keep the rear view camera looking stock and I am trying to determine the size of the current camera they are using. If I can find a direct replacement, I can order the plastic part from the SL and drop one of the below cameras in it.

This is the dimensions I am looking for. Anything this size on the SL or smaller will works just fine.

Camera Size : 24 x 20mm/0.9" x 0.8" (L*D);
Mounting Hole Diameter : 18.5mm/0.73";
Hole Saw : Drilling Hole Diameter: 18.5mm/0.73",
Total Length: 56mm/2.2",Material: HSS

Link - http://www.amazon.com/Flush-Waterpr...ra/dp/B00B2ZD7OS/ref=pd_cp_e_0#productDetails

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
@Kip or @fixmytoysCHRIS

Can one of you guys tell me the SRP on the below part?

5451511 MOUNT, BACKUP CAMERA

Thank YOU!

·
Vendor
118 Posts
MSRP : 15.99

Looks like the camera assy is one entire piece that snaps into the back of the SL. the camera lens diameter looks to be ~1" i couldn't find a tape measure lol

Attachments

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank Bryan.

I am really hoping that it is 18.5mm/0.73 or less.

Hopefully some with a tap measure can confirm.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why are you changing cameras?
I have a Titan (base) model.

So instead of adding an aftermarket camera and drilling it into a new place on the SS, I will buy a $15 camera and the $15 Polaris camera housing. Then I will run the wire to a monitor.

$30 and it will look just like the SL. The camera cost over $150 from Polaris.

Reactions: fixmytoysCHRIS

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Hey Trav, just grabbed a mic and measured the actual opening in the housing. .79 inches or 20.08mm

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Trav, just grabbed a mic and measured the actual opening in the housing. .79 inches or 20.08mm
Thank you very much Bryan.

I really appreciate you doing this for me! Looks like I need to find a larger camera of figure out a way to make it larger so it holds tight in that opening.

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Not a problem, You could always get some quiksteel and make the camera wider in that aspect. wouldnt take much its only .06" to make up.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Not a problem, You could always get some quiksteel and make the camera wider in that aspect. wouldnt take much its only .06" to make up.
Or electrical tape and some gorilla glue. ;) I would hate to do things too much in the proper way.

Shouldn't be that much of a problem.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
After seeing how relatively narrow the SL camera's field of view i, I definitely think I would prefer a camera with a wider field of view.I didn't look to see if the Base model had a blank piece of plastic instead of the piece holding the camera in the SL.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thank you very much Bryan.

I really appreciate you doing this for me! Looks like I need to find a larger camera of figure out a way to make it larger so it holds tight in that opening.
A job for JB weld.

Reactions: TravAZ

·
Registered
686 Posts
OK, gotcha.

You can get a decent camera for $15? Have a link?

I've been looking too and seeing $75+ for a wide angle (120 - 130 deg) CCD cameras.

What are you looking at for the monitor?

I have a Titan (base) model.

So instead of adding an aftermarket camera and drilling it into a new place on the SS, I will buy a $15 camera and the $15 Polaris camera housing. Then I will run the wire to a monitor.

$30 and it will look just like the SL. The camera cost over $150 from Polaris.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here are the links to the couple of cameras that I think will fit in the stock SL rear view camera housing.

The base model piece just clips out and the new one just clips in. $15 for the housing.

$14 camera options for back SL housing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Waterproof-170-Car-Auto-Rear-View-Backup-Reverse-Parking-CMOS-Camera/331295606342?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=27538&meid=151f406f19b54481bce0c4f17d8bb651&pid=100005&prg=11353&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=111126824649&rt=nc

http://www.amazon.com/Flush-Waterpr...ra/dp/B00B2ZD7OS/ref=pd_cp_e_0#productDetails

I also plan on running a camera up front because my monitor will have two inputs. This will allow me to switch back and forth from a front camera to the back camera. $21 with no guidelines.

http://www.amazon.com/Esky-EC170-06...X0-50-inch/dp/B00GSFIJS6/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

I think I am going to go with a cheap TFT monitor that can handle two inputs. There are a lot of options out there with nothing that great on the marine side. If it breaks because of heat or moisture, I will just order a new one.
$30-$50 gets you something decent with two inputs and 7 inch.

http://www.amazon.com/RearView-Headrest-Monitor-Support-Rotating/dp/B007SLDF7O/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1418954461&sr=1-1&keywords=7 inch monitor

Dual camera set-up with 7 inch screen for under a $100. Can't go wrong with that!

Reactions: FC Slingshot

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thanks, Trav(is?)!

Why not use the same CCD camera for the back as front? CCD is supposed to be better (less noisy).

Also, why do you need a forward camera?

If I was going to do two, and I might, I'd use one pointed straight back to act as a rear view mirror, and one pointed to capture the right side blind spot.

That would also allow narrower angle cameras (90 - 130 deg); I suspect the image quality of a 170 deg camera isn't very good.

> Dual camera set-up with 7 inch screen for under a $100. Can't go wrong with that!

Looking forward to hearing how well it works.

In case you hadn't noticed, the monitor resolution is only 480 x 234; I think I'll spend more for more.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

Why not use the same CCD camera for the back as front? CCD is supposed to be better (less noisy).

Also, why do you need a forward camera?

If I was going to do two, and I might, I'd use one pointed straight back to act as a rear view mirror, and one pointed to capture the right side blind spot.

That would also allow narrower angle cameras (90 - 130 deg); I suspect the image quality of a 170 deg camera isn't very good.

> Dual camera set-up with 7 inch screen for under a $100. Can't go wrong with that!

Looking forward to hearing how well it works.
I am putting a camera up front to save my SS nose from speed bumps, entry to my driveway, and curbs when pulling into parking spots.

I like the camera for the front because it is small, has a housing that can be attached easily, and doesn't have grid lines.

I don't find the side blind spots to be that bad, but I am also very used to riding a motorcycle in traffic. If the front camera position isn't that great, I can easily move it to a different spot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can I make a suggestion. Don't put the camera in the stock location. It would be much better pointed down a bit. It would be even better on the lower part of where it's mounted. I can understand that it would get hit from the tire throwing up debris from the road. In the stock location, you wouldn't hit something big, but you could run over something small.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts