Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the stock wheels and tires on my SS. The tires are Nitto 555's which have a (A) rating. I really didn't notice a big difference in traction on the rear. Don't want to change all tires, just the rear. The Nitto G2 has a (AA) rating for traction. Anyone have the G2?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I know my new 555 the rear spins all the time it's hard to hook up. I know once my supercharger is on I will have to have something

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Given the relatively light loading on the rear tire, going to a wider tire is always going to result in some occasional loss of traction, especially if more power is added. The widest tire I've tried was a Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30R18 and it would occasionally spin. I'm currently running a Nankang NS-20 275/35R18 and it actually seems to spin less than the Sumitomo did. I doubt that will be true once I install my turbo. The 275 is the widest tire Nankang makes and it actually cost less installed than the OEM Kenda.

·
Beware of Sling Ninja
232 Posts
I have a Nitto G2 on the rear, I did not notice very much of a difference between that tire and the stock tire, but I'm no expert at all. Maybe just slightly better. I'm still able to get it loose when I want to, and make it stick for the most part when I want to, and that's all I really pay attention to. When I was doing my research though, the G2 came highly recommended.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
I have the G2 on the rear replacing the standard 555, so I do notice better traction with the G2. You cant just dump the clutch and hammer it and expect it not to spin, but with the light rearend and heavy HP somethings breaking loose and I am glad its the tire. It does seem to heat up quick on a spin and then grab. I can break it loose easy at 50 mph but in the twisties it does a hang 10 on them and bites great.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
The G2 is definitely a better tire and is phasing out the 555.

Traction on the SS will always be poor. There is one wheel and it's too light in the back.

Even with a 305/45/18 R compound track tire, traction isn't great on the street. Then when it actually hooks from a stop, (with the perfect pavement and temps) you most likely will get the belt to skip teeth which makes the loudest bang/clunk ever. Scares the CRAP out of everyone that rides with me.

Use the tire you have until it's done, then switch to the G2 or something else and hope for a marginal improvement.

Want more traction? Make sure your tank is full and get a big passenger. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Bill (@wjfyfe) asked if a skinnier tire would help. Yes, in wet/slippery/cold conditions.

The belt is very temperature sensitive, at 45°F it has tons of play and skipped the other day on me--sounds and feels like the transmission or angle drive blew out. Was not too happy thinking of having to tow it back, but no problems, it's just as described by others here.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the NT555 G2 on the front and rear. Th Rear I have is a 315/35R20. However, I am needing much wider and more sticky tire for better traction because I have a Supercharged Built motor.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I have the NT555 G2 on the front and rear. Th Rear I have is a 315/35R20. However, I am needing much wider and more sticky tire for better traction because I have a Supercharged Built motor.
Here is what I am going with to hopefully control my Alpha turbo a bit.

Custom Wheels for Polaris Slingshot 20 Inch Front 22 Inch Rear Wide Fat Wheel tire 345 Rear 20x12 20x8.5 20x9 Rim Rims Forged Aluminum Tires Package Set Mounted Racing widest rear available fattest biggest most traction possible

·
Registered
280 Posts
The G2 is definitely a better tire and is phasing out the 555.

Traction on the SS will always be poor. There is one wheel and it's too light in the back.

Even with a 305/45/18 R compound track tire, traction isn't great on the street. Then when it actually hooks from a stop, (with the perfect pavement and temps) you most likely will get the belt to skip teeth which makes the loudest bang/clunk ever. Scares the CRAP out of everyone that rides with me.

Use the tire you have until it's done, then switch to the G2 or something else and hope for a marginal improvement.

Want more traction? Make sure your tank is full and get a big passenger. :)

Some good info... From what I have researched, going with a high performance "R-series" track tire is only beneficial if you are racing on a track where there is constant friction on the tire to allow it to heat up and get sticky? I currently prefer the look of my larger 22" rear rim (tire is 295x30x22) and the performance is satisfactory but then again I have nothing else to compare it to and there are not many high performance options for a 22 inch rim. I also see people saying wider tires cause weird handling nuances and might not evenom grab asome good as a smaller tire. I'm going to be pushing 400 horsepower this spring and didn't know if it would be worth it for me to buy a 20 inch rim and start putting on expensive Toyo R888 tires that wear faster to find they really aren't all that much better for street use. Any thoughts? So many mixed reviews here....

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Let's just say I am a price-conscious buyer.
I tried a Sumitomo HTR Z III 295/30R18 tire on the rear (largest that will safely fit on the 18x9.5 wheel) of my Base Slingshot and, while I liked the performance of the tire, it still could be made to spin (normally aspirated) and only lasted around 5000 miles, failing my cost vs performance test. I'm looking for an even wider tire for use once I install my Hahn turbo once my swing-arm recall repairs are completed.
I just got a delivery from American Muscle, a 17x10.5 +28 offset 10th Anniversary Cobra wheel that looks similar to my base wheels and cost less than $150. If I choose to use it, the wheel will be shifted slightly to the left due to the offset difference, but it will allow me to use a very wide Nitto 555 G2 315/35R17 tire (around $200), which is more affordably priced than larger tire options while maintaining pretty close to stock specs as far as speedo readings, etc. Other larger 18" wheels I looked at were all closer to the $300 or higher range.
After I ordered the AM wheel, I located some custom offset 17x11 wheels on Summit Racing which should fit better, but will cost around $500 and will also need matching front wheels as they are not a similar match to the base wheels.
RONS RIMS1 | eBay Stores also offers some custom wheels, mostly modeled after classic muscle car wheels.
Generally speaking, as wheel/tire sizes increase, so do costs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts