Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen a few threads about rear tire replacement, and having just gone thru the exercise of upgrading my own wheels, I thought I would share the process and online tool I used to get the right tire on the rear.

Any wheel/rim that does not have an offset of +45 is off center. An inch is 25.4 millimeters, so if you run a +30 you are little more than half an inch off center to the left. Anything greater than 45 moves the wheel to the right. I've included some sample links below with a tool I used to calculate speedometer changes etc. I've loaded them with the stock rear wheel configuration and an example of a different wheel.

Thanks @XXX 74 for providing the stock wheel/tire specs elsewhere in the forum.

SlingShot SL:

Front Wheels 18X7.5 with +42mm Offset
Rear Wheel 20X9 with +45mm Offset

The SL's premium wheels are wrapped with 225/45R18 up front and 255/35R20 in the rear.

Example:
http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...iameter2=20&wheelwidth2=10&offset2=40#content

SlingShot Base:

Front Wheels 17X7 with +42mm Offset
Rear Wheel 18X9.5 with +45mm Offset

The Base gets 205/50R17 up front and 265/35R18 in the rear.

Example:
http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...iameter2=20&wheelwidth2=10&offset2=40#content

Other things to consider are the remaining space between the wheel and swing arm (side and back), and brake caliper clearance (which likely require the wheel to be test fitted). I would recommend finding a good fitting rear wheel first in the style that you like, then checking the sizes available for front wheels. In the front, same thing applies, lower the offset the more the wheels "stick out" from the vehicle, in addition to any width changes in the wheel/tire.

Hope this helps speed up anyone's transition to larger wheels.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
The below website is also very helpful, especially when trying to determine the overall width of the rear tire/wheel combo to ensure it won't hit/rub the items you mentioned above.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

Try to buy something in stock, unless you want to wait like me for the past 3 months for your wheels to get unloaded of a container in long beach.... :banghead:

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
So why is the offset 2x worse if offset is measuring centerline of the wheel? Surely you aren't adding the distance the interior and the exterior of the tire moves? Sorry for my ignorance, I haven't ever seen this stated anywhere before.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So why is the offset 2x worse if offset is measuring centerline of the wheel? Surely you aren't adding the distance the interior and the exterior of the tire moves? Sorry for my ignorance, I haven't ever seen this stated anywhere before.
You are correct, it seemed incorrect to me also and I realized I had performed a misinterpretation of the tool I linked to above. Thanks for pointing it out. The post above was edited to reflect the correct information.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So here is my question and keep in mind I am not necessarily a gear head, so please bare with me. If I stay with a 20 inch rim, what is the widest rim I can go with? Considering stock is 9 inches wide would a 10 wide rim cause issues and if a 10 inch wide rim will work, what would that change to offset to or would it affect it at all?

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
A little food for thought:
  • The more power the engine makes, the easier the rear tire looses traction.
  • A stickier tire compound has more traction, and won't last as long as a hard compound.
  • A wider tire has more contact patch and typically more traction in dry conditions, but will aquaplane easier, which is a huge safety consideration on the Slingshot. (Search "aquaplane" to find other threads explaining what happens)
Here are a few threads on the subject:
Wide rear tire
Slingshot Wheel Size and Offset - SL and Base ( tire / tires / wheels / rim / rims )
Decreased Handling with Wider Rear Tire??
Wider tires on stock rims
Turbo traction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts