Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I replace the rear shock only? I am 70 years old and mainly just tour in my Slingshot. Don't even come close to any performance riding. I already did all the fast turns, 90 degree curves burnouts etc., with a series of past motorcycles. I think about 21 total.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can I replace the rear shock only? I am 70 years old and mainly just tour in my Slingshot. Don't even come close to any performance riding. I already did all the fast turns, 90 degree curves burnouts etc., with a series of past motorcycles. I think about 21 total.
I replaced my rear shock with a Qualcomm adjustable shock. It made the ride a lot softer. I didn’t think the cost of doing the front shocks was worth it. I also have no interest in destroying my tires with burnouts.

·
Administrator
3,033 Posts
You can replace the rear coilover only if you want. Some of the first Slingshots came with really great suspensions, then they kind of went stiff but with a lot of roll...I've only ridden in a limited amount of Slingshots so can't comment on most of them.

I replaced the coilovers in a few with completely adjustable units and it really helped the ride on some after a laser alignment. It depends on what you start with.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Check with the guys a DDM for the best fit for you needs. Polaris Slingshot Parts and Accessories (ddmworks.com)
Here is an option for a rear shock only.

With this new complete set of shocks by DDM Works, with adjust-ability both front and rear, it practically makes it worthwhile to replace all three shocks rather than pay just for a rear shock, at least this is my way of thinking? Though they may also have a single takeoff shock they may be willing to sell to you?

Otherwise, there is a very early thread here somewhere which will describe how you can buy the individual components and build your own QA1 shock(s).

Bill

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is an option for a rear shock only.

With this new complete set of shocks by DDM Works, with adjust-ability both front and rear, it practically makes it worthwhile to replace all three shocks rather than pay just for a rear shock, at least this is my way of thinking? Though they may also have a single takeoff shock they may be willing to sell to you?

Otherwise, there is a very early thread here somewhere which will describe how you can buy the individual components and build your own QA1 shock(s).

Bill
Thinking about changing the shocks on my 21 SL. Just curious with the ride height adjustment option, will that through the wheel alignment out every time you change the height? Would love to get a slightly smoother ride due to the fantastic job they do on the roads here in NY LOL. Also would be interested in raising the height a little for getting the sling on to a ferry, not sure I have the clearance for the ramp on t the ferry?

·
Registered
2016 SS SL
189 Posts
I am waiting on my DDM works shocks (QA1) w/ glossy red coilovers) to install on my 16 SS SL w/ 33K. There are not a lot of companies that make shocks for SS's. Caution- if you raise the rear end, it will change the camber/caster of the front tires and can cause uneven wear. DDM QA1's shocks have the ability to lower or raise the ride height of your SS. (-1 inch to +2 inches) But be sure to check with whomever you buy yoru shocks to confirm ride height limits. Also, be sure to check warranty and return policy and price comparision. God luck Keep on SLINGIN'

·
Registered
2016 SS SL
189 Posts
Thinking about changing the shocks on my 21 SL. Just curious with the ride height adjustment option, will that through the wheel alignment out every time you change the height? Would love to get a slightly smoother ride due to the fantastic job they do on the roads here in NY LOL. Also would be interested in raising the height a little for getting the sling on to a ferry, not sure I have the clearance for the ramp on t the ferry?
I posted some info on my shocks purchase for my 16 SS SL. I am not familiar with 2020+ SS's but if you are looking for highway ride with occasional twists and turns, call DDM ask for Dave. He has a lot of information.

·
Registered
2016 SS SL
189 Posts
You can replace the rear coilover only if you want. Some of the first Slingshots came with really great suspensions, then they kind of went stiff but with a lot of roll...I've only ridden in a limited amount of Slingshots so can't comment on most of them.

I replaced the coilovers in a few with completely adjustable units and it really helped the ride on some after a laser alignment. It depends on what you start with.
I have been researching SS shockreplacement or the last 30 days. Found a lot of good info. Best source I found was Dave at DDM. Very knowledgeable and helpful. Mike also had some great info.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I replaced my shocks around 30k with jri sport. I then had them rebuilt after 70k to jri touring. I now have 99k on them and they are still riding nice. I may try ddm 3way next time but I'm a set it and forget it type of guy. So adjustability is not what I'm looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts