Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2016 SS developed a rather annoying grinding sound at about 800 miles, when the clutch is depressed while decelerating. Sounds identical to a pilot or throughout bearing going bad, except it is emanating from right angle drive. I changed differential oil with Mobile 1 and put SS on blocks with engine running at about 2000 RPM. as soon as drive line is unloaded or the clutch is depressed, right angle drive makes this sound. Dealer agrees with noise being abnormal, but could not compare to another SS. Dealer contacted factory, which won't do anything, say's sound might be normal. I contacted them and got a big run around. Worst customer warranty service I have ever experienced. I am convinced this is a problem. Both dealer and factory tell me that they can look at it, but if it is normal I would have to pay the bill. My concern is that the dealer does not have a clue. He did not even know there was a Zerk fitting on the U-joint. Anyone with similar problems?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried waiting until RPMs approach idle speed whilst decelerating before depressing clutch?

Of course, noise only occurs when drive train has no load (torque) on it, any RPM. During shifting between gear, it also makes the grinding sound .

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
It's been shown time and again, that unless something actually breaks, Polaris won't do squat. To them, all noises are normal till there is a failure.

Hey Polaris, I sold my Victory three weeks ago, dealer bought back my Chieftain week before last. Took my Slingshot in for 5000 mile service and it's in good shape for the next owner.

Then I'll never look back.......:D
image.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's been shown time and again, that unless something actually breaks, Polaris won't do squat. To them, all noises are normal till there is a failure.

Hey Polaris, I sold my Victory three weeks ago, dealer bought back my Chieftain week before last. Took my Slingshot in for 5000 mile service and it's in good shape for the next owner.

Then I'll never look back.......:D View attachment 30500
That appears to be their attitude, small claims court is kinda fun.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I noticed belt rides on the inboard side of the pulley, not in center. Dealer claimed it was normal, gave me some BS about less force on bearing side.
It is correct for the belt to ride more on the inboard side
it is in the shop manual
.................................. tom n carol

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
There's a saying, I think I posted it before......"it's easier to keep the customer you have versus finding a new one"

This is not something Polaris understands or cares about. They enjoyed success with their Indian motorcycle release, and the Slingshot. Now, not only do they flat out refuse to address shortcomings in their products, they are cheaping out by deleting components and features from their products while still raising prices. I have no desire to continue to support them by patronizing them and buying their products.
They don't support us, their customers, why should I support them?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's a saying, I think I posted it before......"it's easier to keep the customer you have versus finding a new one"

This is not something Polaris understands or cares about. They enjoyed success with their Indian motorcycle release, and the Slingshot. Now, not only do they flat out refuse to address shortcomings in their products, they are cheaping out by deleting components and features from their products while still raising prices. I have no desire to continue to support them by patronizing them and buying their products.
They don't support us, their customers, why should I support them?
If I thought this was just another SS noise, I would not pursue the issue. I do believe this is a legitimate warranty claim which requires investigation on the factory's part. I will let the issue run it's course through the system for a while, however if they refuse to ultimately address the issue, I will take Polaris to small claim court. It is quite easy to do and cost"s me very little. On the other hand, they have to fly someone in and cannot be represented by an attorney. I suspect they will ultimately do the right thing.

·
Registered
394 Posts
When I bought my sling it only had one key dealer called said key was in yesterday only took 9 months for Polaris to send it great job Polaris I got one off eBay 3 bays after I bought the sling and yes key was ordered I saw it on dealer computer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I thought this was just another SS noise, I would not pursue the issue. I do believe this is a legitimate warranty claim which requires investigation on the factory's part. I will let the issue run it's course through the system for a while, however if they refuse to ultimately address the issue, I will take Polaris to small claim court. It is quite easy to do and cost"s me very little. On the other hand, they have to fly someone in and cannot be represented by an attorney. I suspect they will ultimately do the right thing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts