Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have come up with a rear protection plate for the flat, plastic panel immediately in front of the rear tire. This area accumulates a lot of grime and tar from the road and is difficult to clean, as well as being rather plain looking. The plate is cut to fit from .060 diamond plate and attaches with 3M tape and four auto-body push fasteners so four holes will need to be drilled in the rear panel for installation. The bottom edge is just above the 3 screws that are used for various add-ons. The one pictured is powder coated in wrinkle (flat) black to blend in with the rest of the rear plastics. It can also be powder coated in other colors at the same price which include gloss black. For a little more money they can be powder coated in custom colors with a clear coat to complement the Slingshot paint colors. I am working now (as my schedule allows) to produce one that matches the '15 and '16 pearl red. I'm sure that with research, colors can be found to match the sunset red, orange, blue, navy blue, midnight cherry, etc colors but I have not done that research because mine is pearl red.

So here's the deal. In order to get the best pricing on material and powder coating I need to process them in batches. The powder coating is most cost efficient in batches of 8. I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in this plate at the prices I have listed below. If you are, shoot me a PM with the color you would like rather than clutter up this thread and then I will have your contact info to respond to. If I get enough interest in a particular color, I will PM those interested back to let them know they are being produced. I will not ask for any commitments or payment until I have them in hand ready to ship. I can work with people for pricing on non batch-produced requests. Feel free to ask questions or comment here on this thread if you have any useful input.

Powder Coated $50 (wrinkle/flat black, gloss black)
Powder/Clear Coated $60 (red, gloss black, custom colors)
Polish the diamonds down to Aluminum on any option +$7 (pic to come)

These will come pre-drilled for 4 Polaris style push auto-body fasteners (included). They will have 3M tape attached, ready to install and would be plus shipping. I haven't explored that yet but I will get some estimates if there is any interest in this. I will post pics of the red and polished diamonds once I have them. Thanks all!

ssplate1.jpg

ssplate2.jpg
ssplate3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,896 Posts
That area is hard to clean, and aluminum is easier to clean than plastic with Simple Green regarding oil and tar, but as a tradeoff one has to be more careful to not scratch the powder coat (and Simple Green will dull the finish). The diamond pattern will hide the rock impacts until the powder coating chips. Water will carry dirt behind the aluminum plate, which will hold moisture, possibly creating issues.

You might be farther ahead with a removable plastic panel. (just a thought)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That area is hard to clean, and aluminum is easier to clean than plastic with Simple Green regarding oil and tar, but as a tradeoff one has to be more careful to not scratch the powder coat (and Simple Green will dull the finish). The diamond pattern will hide the rock impacts until the powder coating chips. Water will carry dirt behind the aluminum plate, which will hold moisture, possibly creating issues.

You might be farther ahead with a removable plastic panel. (just a thought)

I'm thinking that the 3M tape will hold this away from the plastic just enough for water to run out and/or dry. I personally don't ride in the rain, just get caught in it, so I don't see this being an issue for me. The push fasteners will allow for it's removal occasionally, if desired, for cleaning. One would just need to apply new tape. This will take some abuse and degrade over time because of the location. That was one reason for keeping the cost low. As far as a plastic panel, well, that is what is there and I think this looks better...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would like to commend SlingLow for offering a product that is very reasonably priced, something unheard of in the world of the SlingShot, well done, SlingLow, well done!

Bill
Thank you, Bill. I really appreciate that. Not everyone is a millionaire!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Even when it didn't rain, the rear of mine was dirty every time I drove. I installed a
Paramount Fender which made a world of difference and now I don't have to clean the back very often.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even when it didn't rain, the rear of mine was dirty every time I drove. I installed a
Paramount Fender which made a world of difference and now I don't have to clean the back very often.
I will put a fender on as well someday. It's just not at the top of my list and price has a lot to do with it. $550 for a piece of molded plastic? Come on! I really like the Metricks Rear Hugger but at a cool grand it's not happening.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I will put a fender on as well someday. It's just not at the top of my list and price has a lot to do with it. $550 for a piece of molded plastic? Come on! I really like the Metricks Rear Hugger but at a cool grand it's not happening.
+1, you took the words right out of my mouth!

Bill

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome price! It's been a couple of days now and I'm looking for pictures of the polished diamonds @SlingLow LOL No rush...no rush
The wrinkle black plate shown in the pics will be polished tomorrow and I'll post pics. The red plates are still a few days away. Thanks again for your interest @Zorasmiles !

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Here you go.....

Amazon.com: Pair of Round Trailer Fenders (14"-16" wheels): Automotive

Buy these, cut off the lip on one side of each, weld'em back together. You may have to stand on them to flatten them out a bit for the larger tires.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Here you go.....

Buy these, cut off the lip on one side of each, weld'em back together. You may have to stand on them to flatten them out a bit for the larger tires.
A more recent example for us, a gal chatting on her cell phone ran a red light and clobbered Justina in her pickup, a new double walled steel 8' box side is under $500. Maybe a better example, the in-bed solid steel wheel fender is less than $100. Your exampled pair of trailer fenders under $60? :confused: Now, please rationalize some formed plastic with some mounting brackets for $500-$1000+? A lot of potential buyers, like myself, are just choosing to do without.

Bill

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
A more recent example for us, a gal chatting on her cell phone ran a red light and clobbered Justina in her pickup, a new double walled steel 8' box side is under $500. Maybe a better example, the in-bed solid steel wheel fender is less than $100. Your exampled pair of trailer fenders under $60? :confused: Now, please rationalize some formed plastic with some mounting brackets for $500-$1000+? A lot of potential buyers, like myself, are just choosing to do without.

Bill
When it comes to this low production run stuff we see for sale, it does seem hard to justify the cost. If you search the forum, there are quite a few owners whom have made their own from motorcycle or trailer fenders. It might be a fun weekend project this winter for you and Justina to work on as a couple! :smuggrin: I know my girlfriend and I have a lot of fun building furniture and stuff together once in a while. Just don't do it too often. :eek: lol

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here you go.....

Thanks @Sling ding-a-ling but unfortunately, I'm no @harleyujoe . I've seen some nice fenders fabbed from these and others like them. I can't ask my nephew the welder to do it because I've taken too much of his time fixing crap I break: lawn mower, excavator, tractor, quad, other quad, Jeep, flatbed trailer, tilt trailer, 5th wheel trailer, etc. If I don't buy 'em broken and fix 'em I buy 'em working and break 'em!

I sure wish someone with actual talent would decide to make a fender for other owners at a reasonable price. I'm sure there would be many takers. This cover plate would still look good in front of a fender - it just isn't as useful or visible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts