Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taller windscreen

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2017 polaris slingshot sl in navy blue
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if and when we are caught again in the rain I’d like to have a poll on what you think is the best to keep some of the rain down from the cabin. I have a bullet speed v back top already but it seems like we are getting really wet from behind. Would a taller windscreen or rear fender keep the water down more? Does the rooster tail really sling that much water in the cabin with a roof?

· Registered
5,866 Posts
A rear windscreen mounted to the roll hoops might also help. I always tried to avoid riding in the rain and used a NASCAR style Tallboy Plus 2 windshield from AllThingsSlingshot that came with about 1.5" +/- of my Twist Dynamics Top. The Tallboy Plus 2 is a very tall windshield, but I was still able to lift my head/neck enough to see over it thru the small opening between the top of the windshield and the TD Top when in heavy rain that made looking through the windshield a little harder. The opening was enough to get a better view while still not allowing a lot of rain into the cockpit.
I assume the V-Back Top is very similar to the TD Top since Bob Runman was involved in the design of both of them, IIRC. I also used a rear windscreen that I feel reduced any backdraft of air/rain trying to come back into the cockpit from the rear. Can't really say it reduced rainwater coming in from behind, but it did make the air in the cockpit less turbulent.

· Registered
73 Posts
I am currently using the Alpa+5 and also have the TD V-back top. We don’t get a lot of spray from the rear wheel, but this may be due to the small fender that comes with installation of the Corbin saddlebags. I had the saddlebags installed by the dealer so my experience is only with upgrading the windshield.

· Registered
3,177 Posts
if and when we are caught again in the rain I’d like to have a poll on what you think is the best to keep some of the rain down from the cabin. I
Hee hee, you purchased a MOTORCYCLE, and we get wet when it rains, just the nature of the beast! ;)

Be careful with installing a rear wind screen, we tried one and it came back off within only a couple of miles due to the very uncomfortable buffeting it created in the passenger compartment.

Bill

· Registered
2017 polaris slingshot sl in navy blue
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@wjfyfe yea I’m use to the rain since I’m coming from a Harley with many cross country trips. We are just trying to cut down on some of the rain making it in the cabin if we can. So you didn’t like the wind restrictor? What windshield were you using?

· Registered
3,177 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
I’ve experienced light and heavy rain with both the stock 2016 windshield and the Alpha +5. Sorry to disappoint, but I don’t perceive a difference with the amount of road spray you get from the side between to two. I can say the +5 did reduce the amount of forward facing rain. I also contribute this reduction to the synergistic effect when used with the TD V-back top. On our ride, distance between the windshield and the tops’ front edge was significantly reduced. There seams to be some benefit with how the wind, when running above 50mph, carries a lot of rain drops and run off from the windshield over the top.

· Registered
5,866 Posts
Removing the front mud guards behind the front wheels will definitely result in an increase of spray from the front wheels coming into the cockpit. The spray tends to collect along the bottom of the trim piece that fits between the hood and cockpit and the water runs along the bottom and into the cockpit and will definitely soak the outer leg of driver and passenger.
I installed the DDM Works Hood vents along with some metal mesh underneath and while some water did come out the top of the vents, I didn't feel it contributed significantly to any water getting into the cockpit.

· Registered
5,866 Posts
You can see the right DDMWorks Hood Vent in the center pic of the first pic here - Not a new member, but now Slingshot-less. The pics were taken on-scene after I hydroplaned in heavy rain and flipped upside down.😟
Here's a pic of the right vent taken after I had the Slingshot towed to my house -

The Hood Vents did make a difference in how much my hood flapped, but some of the spray from the front wheels would get caught by the trim piece behind the hood and would channel down along the trim until it ended up getting into the cockpit and soaking my outer leg. I'd show a pic of the left hood vent, but that section got ripped away when I spun and hit the jersey barrier before climbing the barrier and flipping over. The Top definitely made a difference as I ended up with just a small scrape on my left my elbow. The Top deformed, but still kept my head safe.
You can see better pics of the hood vents here - Mesh under fender vents? DDM Works now offers option mesh panels to fit under the vents to keep small gravel from being thrown up by the tires.
Here's a link to the plastic strips I cut to fill-in the holes after I removed the front mudguards -
My attempt at deleting the fenders/mudguards and DIY.... As I mentioned in that post, I probably should have cut them a little larger so I could custom fit each one. I just got in a hurry and didn't make straight enough cuts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts