Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my new 2018 Slingshot 5 weeks now. Discovered drops of oil on my driveway and found out it's the rear end converter on the belt side. Dealer said it was a major job and I'd have to leave it but I'm 2 1/2 hours away. Today I found out 5 of the 6 bolts that hold the passenger seat back in are broke off. Had to have done at assembly or at dealer. Impossible to fix as 5 of the tabs are broke off. Either had to have been over tightened at the factory or someone turned them the wrong way. Anyone else had problems like this? Very dissapointed!! If I take it to dealer...what am I suppose to do till its finished? Dealer is way out of town too. Nothing else to drive. I'll be stuck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sounds like you're talking about the angle drive? Tough luck, thought they'd be past these kinds of issues by now.

Anyway, I'd talk with the repair shop. My angle drive needed to be replaced at 500 miles (2016.5) for a front seal leak and bad bearings, and I'm 2 hours from the shop. I waited for mine while they replaced it. Took a few hours, which is totally expected, but I didn't have to leave it.

As far as the seat, it's under warranty, they should just replace the seat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've only had my new 2018 Slingshot 5 weeks now. Discovered drops of oil on my driveway and found out it's the rear end converter on the belt side. Dealer said it was a major job and I'd have to leave it but I'm 2 1/2 hours away. Today I found out 5 of the 6 bolts that hold the passenger seat back in are broke off. Had to have done at assembly or at dealer. Impossible to fix as 5 of the tabs are broke off. Either had to have been over tightened at the factory or someone turned them the wrong way. Anyone else had problems like this? Very dissapointed!! If I take it to dealer...what am I suppose to do till its finished? Dealer is way out of town too. Nothing else to drive. I'll be stuck!
The back of my drivers seat is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
My dealer is also a little over 2 hrs from me. I've been lucky enough to have things fixed while waiting, but the worst thing I've had was the swing-arm recall and replacement.
Chances are you'll need to go back to the dealer for them to verify if both items are warranty replacements or warranty repairs and Polaris will want pics from the dealer before authorizing replacement. Then you'll probably need a second trip once the repair/replace decision has been made. I'd assume Polaris will replace the seat back. The angle drive may be a quick fix or it may need to be replaced if it wasn't assembled correctly. IIRC, several angle drives have escaped the factory w/o being properly sealed. Unless the dealer can provide a specific time frame for the repairs or replacements, I'd prefer to make 2 trips (one for the diagnosis and a second trip for the actual repair/replacement). I'd only agree to leave it once I know exactly how long everything will take. The one drawback of having a dealer some distance away is it can suck dealing with these types of situations.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Chances are you'll need to go back to the dealer for them to verify if both items are warranty replacements or warranty repairs and Polaris will want pics from the dealer before authorizing replacement.
I do not understand this, whenever we had a warranty issue with our SlingShot, our dealer made the decision themselves either while on the phone, or stopping by? When the original windshield was rubbing on the body we dropped by the dealer while in the neighborhood and we had a new one in minutes. When we had the suspicious creaking of the rear wheel I called and was told to bring it in and they would take care of it. The best example of our dealerships dedication to service was while the SlingShot was in for the swingarm recall, we asked them to replaced a cracked wing panel and install a muffler heat shield, (2015s did not have it.) When it was time to pick up our SlingShot the new parts had yet to arrive so they removed them from a SlingShot that was on the showroom?

Bill

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I do not understand this, whenever we had a warranty issue with our SlingShot, our dealer made the decision themselves either while on the phone, or stopping by? When the original windshield was rubbing on the body we dropped by the dealer while in the neighborhood and we had a new one in minutes. When we had the suspicious creaking of the rear wheel I called and was told to bring it in and they would take care of it. The best example of our dealerships dedication to service was while the SlingShot was in for the swingarm recall, we asked them to replaced a cracked wing panel and install a muffler heat shield, (2015s did not have it.) When it was time to pick up our SlingShot the new parts had yet to arrive so they removed them from a SlingShot that was on the showroom?

Bill
There have been several posts on this forum and others where owners have posted that Polaris has requested pics of suspect units before they approved sending a replacement item. You seem to have been lucky enough to have a dealer who does his best to keep his customers happy. I doubt if many dealers would pull an angle drive from a unit in inventory to get a customer back on the road w/o knowing that Polaris will actually be sending a replacement unit.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
You seem to have been lucky enough to have a dealer who does his best to keep his customers happy.
If you meant to say that we had a dealer that took rightful responsibility for their sales, then yes, you would be correct. ;)

I doubt if many dealers would pull an angle drive from a unit in inventory to get a customer back on the road w/o knowing that Polaris will actually be sending a replacement unit.
Of course a dealer is not going to remove something as complicated as an angle drive from another vehicle, but obviously they can inspect and make the decision whether to repair or replace it? :confused:

Bill

:( PS, I am disappointed in seeing that this issue has not been resolved by Polaris since it goes back to the original seats of the very first 2015s. A good reminder that these bolts are only screwed into plastic and one needs not use an automated screwdriver or a two foot extension to install them?
https://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/better-check-your-stock-seats-plastic-bolt-failure.9979/

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is partly why I am hesitant on buying a slingshot. The one I want to deal with is about 2 hrs away and with the reliability issues with the Slingshot, do I really want to got down that road? The dealer is in a little town, not sure even if they have a motel or hotel to stay at. Probably one close by, but still! Polaris should pay for that too if they can't make a reliable product!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
That is partly why I am hesitant on buying a slingshot. The one I want to deal with is about 2 hrs away and with the reliability issues with the Slingshot, do I really want to got down that road? The dealer is in a little town, not sure even if they have a motel or hotel to stay at. Probably one close by, but still! Polaris should pay for that too if they can't make a reliable product!
Our SlingShot is an early 2015, so being an early model it came with teething issues, yet 3.5 years and 20,000 miles later it has yet to fail to get us to our destination. :)

Bill

·
Registered
231 Posts
My seat back bolts are broken too. Was looking here in forum to see if anyone else had that problem and how they repaired it. I got the seat back off by sticking a small screwdriver in the bolt hole and jamming it against the broken plastic nut then slowly turning the bolt with a nut driver. Saw what had happened after getting the seat back off. The plastic nut that was molded into the seat back had broken off. Two of mine happened at the dealer but they didn’t tell me about it. After finding the two broke ones I tried taking the rest of them off and all the others broke. Guess I will go digging in my storage bins in my shop to see what I can find to fix it with.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
As long as you're under warranty, I'd go to the dealer. Problems with the seats and how the are fastened t frames has occurred on several Slingshots and should be covered by under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts