Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving around town sunday and noticed a clicking sound in the rear as I went around corners. Got in the driveway at home and if I push the sling you can here the clicking in the rear axle. Got up this morning went for two short drives no sound. Went out of town 5 miles and came home with the clicking back. If I put my hand on the rear axle housing and push the sling to make it click I can feel it in the rear axle case. Called the dealer to bring it in no problem. My question is should I drive it or trailer it. Dealer is about 65 miles away. Your opinions please.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Check the torque on your axle nut to make sure it is at 250ft/lbs and drive it.

You should be fine.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
FYI, in talking with the engineering and service "experts" from Polaris during the event in Maggie Valley, they are saying that almost all the bearings that have been replaced by their dealers were not bad. (their words, not mine). They are saying the noise is from the axle to pulley either being lose (bolt not torques properly) or dirt in the splines. To correct this, they are saying to remove the pulley and properly clean the splines and check for wear, then properly reinstall the pulley with the locktite that they recommend in their bulletin. Then use the double nut and not ride it for a few hours to let the locktite fully cure. Best overnight if possible. They also say there is a rear bearing kit that is now available that has a different spacer (it went to aluminum and no longer steel) and that should eliminate all future issues of noise from that area. Time will tell on this one(please don't shoot me as I'm only passing on what they said)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Oh I believe the engineers saw their first bad bearing at Maggie Valley when they took out @DKF Texas noisy needles! Most of the bearings returned by dealers were destroyed because the proper tools were not used to remove them I am told !

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
My dealer's mechanic feels my clicking noise is due to a warped rear rotor. Polaris has agreed to replace it under warranty. Unfortunately, I am also waiting on back-ordered front seals for my angle drive. I've got almost 21000 miles on my Slingshot and the clicking noise has been present off & on for a big portion of that time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My rear bearing is make the same clicking noise while I was at Maggie Valley. The Dealer said they didn't have anymore so to take by the home dealer for replacement.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am taking mine in for the dreaded clicking noise today after waiting for 1 1/2 months for the dealer to order the rubber seal and find time to get me in. this is the second time mine has had the clicking noise. the first time they put the locktite glue? in/around the axle. It not only clicks it leaks oil.

·
Super Moderator
5,848 Posts
Oh I believe the engineers saw their first bad bearing at Maggie Valley when they took out @DKF Texas noisy needles! Most of the bearings returned by dealers were destroyed because the proper tools were not used to remove them I am told !
Thank you my @Painter! The problem was that all the bearings they had gotten back were destroyed/damaged in the removal! Polaris was there when mine was pulled and they were happy to get ahold of failed bearing that weren't destroyed during removal! Tony said the engineer was really glad to get ahold of my bearings. Hopefully this will get some answers! I cannot say enough great things about the dealer there! Great folks, beautiful shop and Cornbread knows his way around my rear end!....on my SS!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts